Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2002, 20:23 (Ref:287554)   #1
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could we be seeing privateer's running customer cars from top teams in the future?

According to www.itv-f1.com smaller non factory backed teams could buy Chassis from another team in an attempt to cut costs! sounds alright to me on the face of it, A Minardi or Arrows beating a Mclaren! albeit in a Ferrari or Renault chassis.
here's the story http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/10687

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 15 May 2002 at 20:26.
Old 15 May 2002, 22:09 (Ref:287617)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't help but think that the Formula 1 grid needs another Rob Walker. A good idea in principle. I only hope any privateer has the colossal backing and the sympathy of the engine suppliers that they will need.
Old 15 May 2002, 23:20 (Ref:287653)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for the idea of private teams buying last year's cars from the top teams! It'd dramatically reduce costs, tighten up the grid, and improve the racing in every way! The FIA has to make sure, though, that there are no strings attached, ie the occaisonal Ferarri team orders stretching to Sauber.
Old 15 May 2002, 23:41 (Ref:287665)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think that this would have to go well beyond the chassis, which is the least expensive part of the F1 car these days. You could have bought last years Prost for a couple of thousand quid. The running gear is what is expensive - the engine, gearbox, diff, engine management system, rear suspension, and so on. I think someone is just tired of writing the usual F1 articles and wanted to make a splash.
What would make a helluva lot more sense is if the manufacturers loaned engines to another team free of costs, and helped with the development and fine tuning of the running gear. Let the team make their own chassis.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 16 May 2002, 00:01 (Ref:287672)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What made F1 so inexpensive in the 'old days' was the fact nearly everyone had the Ford DFV engine.

Ever since Renault turned up in 1977 with their turbo engine, Formula One costs have steadily risen. I blame Renault!
Old 16 May 2002, 00:12 (Ref:287675)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think that with the introduction of computer aids to F1 cars, the development and fine tuning costs of such aids together with the mechanical components that are involved have become astronomical. All the different aids are related, and it all has to be integrated properly to reduce those precious milliseconds per gear change, per corner, per straight. I think Ferrari's dominance at present comes from a very small two clutch gear box integrated with the engine and diff to produce continuous drive during gear changes. I wish I knew more about it, but a couple of technical guys who used to come here like Dino have disappeared. He'd be the one to ask. But we are talking not only about the cost of the lab development but also the zillions of miles (sorry kilometres) of testing required to integrate the whole system.
What's my point? Well, I think the day of the successful privateer is long gone, just a pipedream nowadays.

Old 16 May 2002, 01:16 (Ref:287707)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The days of Minardi and Jordan are coming to an end I'm afraid unless something is done to dramatically cut costs. It is spiralling out of control and it's quite ridiculous how much it costs.
Old 16 May 2002, 02:18 (Ref:287725)   #8
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, but the rules currently state that to be eligable to enter, you must build your own chassis. That rule has been around for a long time, and I don't see the FIA changing it any time soon.
Old 16 May 2002, 02:38 (Ref:287726)   #9
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not read the article by itv-f1 yet but that be illegal so they would have to change the rules to allow you to race cars that your team have not constructed.

I personally do not like the idea, I can watch Indycar if I want to the the same chassis running in differant colours.
Old 16 May 2002, 06:56 (Ref:287775)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the idea of running year ex factory F1 teams us a good one. It would massively reduce costs and importantly present the teams with a 'known' quantity to work with.

Sauber have proved to be pretty quick this year so far, can you imagine how much closer they would be to Ferrari, if they were in last years complete Ferrari.

Teams like Jordan cannot afford the highly rated designers and subsequently struggle to produce top rate cars. They also don't have the resources/skills to develop them sufficiently, which is why their pace of progress is slow.

In principle the idea is great, making it workable and getting the factory teams to part with cars is another issue.
Old 16 May 2002, 07:47 (Ref:287797)   #11
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think for a second, would it be good for motorsport development?
Old 16 May 2002, 09:47 (Ref:287871)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole thing goes in cycle's, the only reason it is so expensive at the moment is because there are alot of manufacturers involved. Overtime some manufacturers will lose interest and it will fall back on some companies to provide more than one team, which will help out a bit.

I am not in favour of Minardi or Arrows etc.. buying cars, if you are able to compete in F1, you should be capable of building ur own car.
Old 16 May 2002, 09:58 (Ref:287886)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
If manufacturers buy a stake in F1, would they want to leave?

I can see some of them staying around for a long time to come now.
Old 16 May 2002, 10:23 (Ref:287903)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69

I am not in favour of Minardi or Arrows etc.. buying cars, if you are able to compete in F1, you should be capable of building ur own car.
Limiting participation in F1 to teams building their own car is a pretty recent innovation though- for most of the hisotry of F1, there have been 'privateer' outfits running either ex-factory team cars or customer chassis- Does anyone actually remember when the change happened?- it was late 70's at the earliest.

If you go back to the 50's and 60's, Maserati, Lotus, Cooper etc used to build cars specifically to supply to customer teams, as well as running works cars.

Given the choice between falling grid sizes and teams running year-old McLarens or whatever, I'd favour the latter every time
Old 16 May 2002, 10:27 (Ref:287907)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Brett Lunger drove a private McLaren in 1977 if I remember correctly.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:09 (Ref:287939)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until 1995, 'car sharing' was still in existence, albeit in a very limited fashion - the 1995 Ligier was an almost carbon copy of that year's Benetton, due to the TWR links between the two teams I seem to recall.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:17 (Ref:287944)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Until 1995, 'car sharing' was still in existence, albeit in a very limited fashion - the 1995 Ligier was an almost carbon copy of that year's Benetton, due to the TWR links between the two teams I seem to recall.
Yeah, but didn't that cause upraor at the time?
Old 16 May 2002, 12:26 (Ref:288009)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And of course Larrousse and Scuderia Italia simultaneously ran Lola chassis around ten years ago.
Old 16 May 2002, 12:37 (Ref:288015)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve_r, yes, IIRC, it was frowned upon by oppossing team cheifs...
Old 16 May 2002, 12:47 (Ref:288026)   #20
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be easy to distinguish between 'Team' points and 'Constructor' points though, wouldn't it?
I say the more cars the merrier. The existence of two F3000 series and Formula Nissan prove that there aren't enough F1 cars/seats
Old 17 May 2002, 00:18 (Ref:288473)   #21
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I think that this would have to go well beyond the chassis, which is the least expensive part of the F1 car these days. You could have bought last years Prost for a couple of thousand quid. The running gear is what is expensive - the engine, gearbox, diff, engine management system, rear suspension, and so on.
No no you are quite wrong. It is the testing and evelopment/research that takes the biggest chunk of money to fund. Ecclestone himself backd the same point by saying that the main advantage of buying last year' car off someon else is to sav development costs. Think, no star design team, no expensive wind tunnel etc etc. You'd effectively be back to the 70s way of going racing.

A massive retrograde step IMO. F1 should be about the competition in the white heat of technology, not about buying off the shelf cars like CART. VERY SCAREY IF BERNIE SUGGESTED IT THOUGH!

But why would any of the top teams agree to it? Could you imagine Todt, Dennis, Williams etc being happy? Yeah right, they'd be happy to spend $200m each year developing a car just to give it to someone else at a knockdown price the following year even though it is only a second off the pace!!

I just can't see it working.

Rest assured though, the costs of transmission and so on are very low. It is the development of these parts and the running of a windtunnel that costs the dough.
Old 17 May 2002, 12:06 (Ref:288825)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
If manufacturers buy a stake in F1, would they want to leave?

I can see some of them staying around for a long time to come now.
I agree some of them will stay around, but some are only here for the moment.

The only one's i feel are in for the long haul are Ferrari, Ford and Renault. With Honda, BMW, Mercedes etc.. once their engine become's uncompetitive, i'm sure that they will ask questions as to whether continue. As for Toyota, i am yet to be convinced they are committed longer than 5-10 years.
Old 17 May 2002, 12:14 (Ref:288829)   #23
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
toyota has apparently made a 15 year commitment
Old 17 May 2002, 12:39 (Ref:288845)   #24
Aussiefan

What about chassis regulations and if they don't change? Would teams sell off year old chassis' to smaller teams if their current ones aren't radically different?

Old 17 May 2002, 15:32 (Ref:288992)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From F1i.com

Old Cars on the Way? May 17 14:07
Rule stability until 2004 at least could pave the way for the use of old cars in F1

Motorsport's governing body has quietly paved the way for the use of year-old cars, should the F1 Commission and World Council believe this is the way to go, by promising rule stability on the chassis side until 2004 at least.

FIA president Max Mosley made the pledge during an extensive press conference at Imola and now teams can begin to look at buying a year-old car from a frontrunner once the requisite changes to the Sporting Regulations have been made.

Bernie Ecclestone said he felt this was a good cost-cutting measure, and there seemed to be agreement from most team bosses, especially those that have felt the pinch of global recession and are struggling to keep their teams alive.

It does, however, beg the important question: what happens if the FIA decides to introduce a radical change in the chassis regulations. Last year's car would then be useless, as it would not comply with the strict guidelines, and the smaller teams would have to purchase a new car, while the big teams would have to change their production capacity to cope with this one-off increase in demand.

Like many of the recent proposals, this cunning idea is fraught with problems and there is a lot of talking left to do before any agreement is reached.