Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 7 Feb 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1219310)   #1
anamas
Rookie

Greece
anamas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ROTAX MAX in Greece and not only.

Dear friends,allow me to call you this way

My proposal is to talk about Rotax max in general.If you have anything to suggest,propose,talk about,advise,tips,informations.........and so on,why not share it with us.

Since I am new, please forgive any wrong doing or writing......I will get use to writing better...

With a great friendly mood.Angelos.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1219621)   #2
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome anamas

Rotax Max is a frequent topic here, for varying reasons So i'm sure plenty of people have views on it, some for, some against.

I for one really enjoy it. The racing is close, maintanence isn't too bad and engines can be run for a long time, longer than TKM 4/ and much longer than Formula A, some people say it's a bit too much of a high powered arive and drive class, to be honest, some people who race come across as if they should stick to arive and drive and save us the £££££ of crash damage. But overall i think it's a great class and the engines are awsome, love the powervalve, can use it quite strategically
Old 8 Feb 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1220055)   #3
anamas
Rookie

Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy king
Welcome anamas

Rotax Max is a frequent topic here, for varying reasons So i'm sure plenty of people have views on it, some for, some against.
Good morning to everyone...
What do you mean it is a frequent topic ??? Are there in the past a relevent topic ?? Can you tell me where to look for ??

Quote:
......can use it quite strategically
You mean that you can alter it depending on the track ??? or something different ???

Thanks a lot.Angelos.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1220547)   #4
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a popular thread from a short while ago

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61609

As for the powervalve, if someone messes up through a corner and has to come off the throttle they loose a whole load of revs, if you stay flat out you'll reach the power boost from the power valve quicker and should be able to just cruise past
Old 18 Feb 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1229205)   #5
anamas
Rookie

Greece
Quote:
Here's a popular thread from a short while ago

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61609

As for the powervalve, if someone messes up through a corner and has to come off the throttle they loose a whole load of revs, if you stay flat out you'll reach the power boost from the power valve quicker and should be able to just cruise past
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I am reading the topic about Rotax and I will ask anything I want in that.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1230075)   #6
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember when I had my max about 7 or 8 years ago to practise on (I had one of the 1st in the country!) Anyway we used to experiment with it. Ran different carbs etc on it, and took the powervalve completely out a couble of times & blanked off the slot. I found that the only difference was that the valve stopped it from bogging down; ie. it lowered the start of the power band.

Running different carbs on it was very very interesting.. if you want to know what we found out just ask
Old 19 Feb 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1230242)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Interesting. I drove my new Snr at my home track today so i knew how it should be compared to the Junior as i know the track like the back of my hand, the power was incredible however it was very sluggish until the valve kicked in (i may just find that it seems sluggish but is actually no slower than the junior) i was told you can adjust the valve to kick in earlier so may try that but was told to be a bit careful as if its too early then you'll get wheelspin and the rear kicking out, out of the hairpins
Old 21 Feb 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1231511)   #8
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
I remember when I had my max about 7 or 8 years ago to practise on (I had one of the 1st in the country!) Anyway we used to experiment with it. Ran different carbs etc on it, and took the powervalve completely out a couble of times & blanked off the slot. I found that the only difference was that the valve stopped it from bogging down; ie. it lowered the start of the power band.

Running different carbs on it was very very interesting.. if you want to know what we found out just ask
Do you find any difference from having the power valve at 1click, from having it at 20 clicks?
Old 21 Feb 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1231544)   #9
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
yup
Old 21 Feb 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1231651)   #10
Karting_jenny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Karting_jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gonna ask something about engine's here....

I race at Kimbolton and i virtually know where to brake etc...however, it seems that i'm throwing a clutch just about every meeting and i'm wondering if its me with the brakes or something else might be going on...

Advice please...
Old 21 Feb 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1231682)   #11
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
I've run clutches on ICA's & ****ed many of them so I am in a position to answer this one.

Firstly when you say you're throwing a clutch what do you mean? Is it falling to peices, wearing out, or just giving up biting?

I think that during a weekend you can't really wear a centrefugal clutch out through abusing it. Obviously stuff like keeping your foot well on the throttle while you're breaking will contribute towards a lot of wear, so look out for that.

If your chain aligment is out I suppose that could harm the clutch, as it'll be pulling it appart. Same thing applies if your chain is too tight.

If you're spinning a lot you could be harming the clutch because it'll be taking quite a pounding.

But what I reckon it's most likely to be is your clutch shoe isn't biting enough. So either you've got some silicone, chain lube or oil, something like that, in the clutch, and it's slipping and burning it's self out, or your clutch springs are too strong, resulting in a similar problem.

Do you ever notice that the engine revvs pick up at a faster rate than you're accelerating, but not due to wheelspin?

Alex
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1231798)   #12
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Could you explain how the clicks on the power valve work, differencing from 1 to the highest of 20?

You should be on commission Alex

Last edited by speedy king; 21 Feb 2005 at 21:09.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1231823)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Alex, make with the power valve setting info! Please :-)
I could do with the power coming in lower because at 14 and a half stone I'm not getting any wheelspin... Unless I can lose 2 stone in 6 weeks!!

Clutch wise - are they damaged? If not you have checked your sprockets securely fixed to the axle? I chanegd my clutch once because I thought I had slippage - turned out the sprocket was turning *stands back and waits for abuse*
Old 21 Feb 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1231844)   #14
Karting_jenny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Karting_jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i say keep throwing clutch's...

I mean springs come off, or the posts bend or Break and now again the end of the shoes break.

I know one reason why the clutch went last weekend, was probably for the fact that my brakes kept sticking and not releasing.

As for the chain and sprocket, there usually isn't any problems there to break the clutch, but for the idea of silicone, chain lube or oil being stuck in the clutch i'll look into.

Quote:
Do you ever notice that the engine revvs pick up at a faster rate than you're accelerating, but not due to wheelspin?
Nope that never happen, i find that my kart takes time get going nowadays.

And ghinzani you won't get abuse for that, but i know that dad tightens up the sprocket etc...

Thanks for the info...
Old 23 Feb 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1233959)   #15
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Just a point, does anyone have the 'Maintaining The Max' on DVD? Have heard it's extremely good and am considering getting it. Hefty price though...
Old 13 Mar 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1251086)   #16
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Alex, what were any advantages/dissadvantages you found with the timing of the power valve?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1251107)   #17
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
The more you have it screwed in, the more pull out of slow corners you get, but you sacrifice top end power.

If you want an explanation as to why, just ask.

So, for slower tracks you want more clicks on it, and for faster, back it off.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1251132)   #18
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I understand how by having it screwed in further that i'd get better acceleration out of slow corners but how would it cause a dissadvantage then at top speed? Really thick question but it just isn't clicking (excuse the pun ) I can visualise how gearing effects power in my head but can't witht he power valve, in experience i guess. Testing this Saturday so will tinker around a bit then
Old 13 Mar 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1251161)   #19
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Well you know how the 'power' valve works by holding exhaust gasses inside the combustion chamber. Well at low revvs that's great, because it makes sure that every little bit of fuel is burnt.

But at higher revs (if it doesn't open early enough) it'll hold the exhaust gasses in for too long, meaning that you have way too much burnt fuel hanging around, so it can't rev out, because it can't get any 'fresh' fuel.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1251693)   #20
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Understand now, thanks