Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 13 Apr 2003, 06:35 (Ref:567857)   #1
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get well soon

i've decided to show some uncharacteristic restraint and not point fingers in regards to the Dixon/Kanaan crash. only reports so far are Kanaan has been airlifted to the hospital with right arm and left leg injuries. no news on Dixon, he was conscious but couldn't stand on his own which is understandable if you saw the crash. what was left on the track afterwards didn't even resemble a car. he hit the wall in a similar way to De Ferran in Phoenix but at a much higher speed and he was actually airborne going into it. fingers crossed that all the drivers who crashed today are fit and ready in May for the 500...
Old 13 Apr 2003, 07:23 (Ref:567874)   #2
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the IRL website Dixon only has right wrist pain and was to be released from the Motegi track med centre; which amazes me, he hit that wall pretty hard and looked odds on to have leg injuries after the contact.

Jenna, I also will decline to point the finger for blame in the accident and call it a "racing incident" but it was a damn shame for both Kanaan & Dixon as they had positions 1 & 2 sewn up between them. Along with Scheckter they were the class of the field today.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 09:44 (Ref:567962)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
terrible crash , in fact the whole race was marred by crashes , I hope everyone hurt today gets better soon.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 13:55 (Ref:568156)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They announced Kanaan has a broken arm and is returning to Indy for further treatment....hpe it doesn't knock him out of Indy.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 14:18 (Ref:568173)   #5
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
how long does a broken arm take to heal? maybe he can learn to drive with his feet....
i've watched all the slow mo replays from every angle and to me there is some blame to be placed, but it just seems dumb to be going on about who started it when Kanaan is lying in hospital. (also i'm obviously a bit biased, i'm afraid if i start ranting i'll never stop!)
Old 13 Apr 2003, 14:38 (Ref:568186)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish a fast and full recovery to Scott and Tony.

This shunt was a serious blow to my expectations for a Kannan win at Indy - but of course that's not the most important thing now.

Last edited by Muzza; 13 Apr 2003 at 14:39.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 15:13 (Ref:568202)   #7
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
you can't rule him out of Indy yet! he will do whatever he can to be fit for that race, it's still 6 weeks away and that's quite a long time.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 15:24 (Ref:568209)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Someone will have to qualify the car in 4 weeks time though, and AGR have already got 3 other entries lined up.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 15:50 (Ref:568225)   #9
gofastturnleft
Rookie

gofastturnleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kanaan has some injuries to his upper leg/buttocks in addition to the arm fracture as hinted in the release. Hang tight on this one though as you likely won't hear anything more until he gets back to see Dr. Trammel.

Dan
Old 14 Apr 2003, 01:40 (Ref:568660)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think he will be ready for Indy, im no doctor but a broken arm isnt super serious , so I think he should be able to compete there.

this is the only report i have on injuries.

I havent heard anything on Scott Dixon or Jaques Lazier as yet.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 03:37 (Ref:568725)   #11
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They would get out of the IRL if they were smart. Those cars are not suited to crash at those speeds. It's a shame Gil de Ferran's career will be cut short because of the corporate greed which brought him to the dark side.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 04:25 (Ref:568739)   #12
gofastturnleft
Rookie

gofastturnleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It isn't the cars that are at fault camcartfan. Too much crashing by drivers that really should know better.

Dan
Old 14 Apr 2003, 07:11 (Ref:568792)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last time I looked the right arm is the shifting arm... I would suggest it would get mighty painful racing for the day, dropping back a gear each lap and up again, and indeed the in and out of the pitlane.... plus the physical strength to hold the car thru the corners

Very sad news indeed...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Apr 2003, 09:44 (Ref:568875)   #14
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
if only it were possible to heal bones with sheer determination to race
Old 14 Apr 2003, 09:58 (Ref:568884)   #15
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great shame about Tony, personally I think Indy is pushing it a bit for a return which is a shame because he was one of my choices to win.....
Old 14 Apr 2003, 11:49 (Ref:568964)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
They would get out of the IRL if they were smart. Those cars are not suited to crash at those speeds. It's a shame Gil de Ferran's career will be cut short because of the corporate greed which brought him to the dark side.

I'd say he could be ready by Indy. They could get someone else to qualify the car then Kanaan can race it off the back of the grid.

Is the shifter able to be moved to the left hand side?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 23:17 (Ref:569570)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its been done before in Formula Ford, there was a Van Diemen specially converted here at one point because the driver couldnt handle the RHS shift....

Question is, would this contravene IRL rules?? Performance enhancement perhaps?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Apr 2003, 01:19 (Ref:569647)   #18
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt they would do this. You only need to shift on yellow flags and to pit. Driver's have driven with braces on thier arms at Indy before. I'm sure if he can, he'll drive the car as it is
Old 15 Apr 2003, 01:30 (Ref:569659)   #19
BlueStang
Rookie

BlueStang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kanaan had given enough room, but had reached the point where he had to start down for his turn. It almost looked to me like Dixon didn't realize it was even time to turn...he also should have been turning by then, but appeared to still be going straight (and was still high up on the track) when they hit.

Kanaan had to come down, or he would have wound up in the wall anyway, with the line that Dixon was running. If Dixon had been running that line alone, I am not sure that he wouldn't have wound up in the wall anyway, or at the very least, spun the car around.

Blue
Old 15 Apr 2003, 07:45 (Ref:569846)   #20
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
lol, exactly what i was holding off saying! sounds better coming from someone objective...
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:00 (Ref:569940)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From latest news heard, just a broken wrist for Kanaan.
So less serious than it seemed after the crash
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:569949)   #22
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Scott Dixon has two broken bones in his hand and a fractured wrist.But he's confident of a start at Indy.That was a big hit though,he was lucky the car went in backwards,if that had been a frontal impact the outcome would have been a lot more dire.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:17 (Ref:570339)   #23
BlueStang
Rookie

BlueStang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jenna
lol, exactly what i was holding off saying! sounds better coming from someone objective...
I was not sure if you were holding off because that is what you were thinking, or because you were thinking the opposite.

Blue
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:07 (Ref:570395)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a thread earlier about IRL's crash/injury record. Seeing as there have been some high profile driver injuries, what do you guys think now? Is there something specifically that should be changed?

Last edited by Snrub; 15 Apr 2003 at 19:08.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:570398)   #25
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
There was a thread earlier about IRL's crash/injury record. Seeing as there have been some high profile driver injuries, what do you guys think now? Is there something specifically that should be changed?
Lazier hurt his knee, Kannan and Dixon both hurts thier wrists. These came as a result of a side inpact, I think. The driver should get more room in the cockpit, perhaps the sidepods could be lengthend and made wider to allow it to crumple more?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 15 Apr 2003 at 19:17.