Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Aug 2013, 14:52 (Ref:3289734)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Marshaling - Slovakian Style

I tried to find a youtube link, but can only find this on bookface:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=209114389212671

I'm sure this will be frowned upon, but when you have drunk spectators in an out-of-bounds area that don't want to move, this is one way to shift them i guess.

I don't suggest you try this in the UK.....
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3289829)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
brilliant. Too much PC and pussyfooting around in this country.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3289835)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
While its 'funny' from the outside looking in, it's pretty disgraceful behaviour by the marshals, no amount of abusive/drunken behaviour by spectators deserves that. If a security guard or policeman did that, they would be sacked and charged......
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3289842)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"I'm thumping you for your own safety, you know..."

Not sure it's an approach I'd recommend - assault causing actual bodily harm - but of course, we don't know what led up to that and what provocation might have occurred so as always, armchair marshalling with a huge pinch of we don't know the facts.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3289848)   #5
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks fake to me...
Old 15 Aug 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3290255)   #6
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
"I'm thumping you for your own safety, you know..."

Not sure it's an approach I'd recommend - assault causing actual bodily harm - but of course, we don't know what led up to that and what provocation might have occurred so as always, armchair marshalling with a huge pinch of we don't know the facts.
Interesting dilemma - if two possibly inebriated guys try to cross a live track is it better to try and stop them before they kill/injure themselves or worse one or more competitors.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3290417)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
While its 'funny' from the outside looking in, it's pretty disgraceful behaviour by the marshals, no amount of abusive/drunken behaviour by spectators deserves that. If a security guard or policeman did that, they would be sacked and charged......
Unless, of course, it was certain ornaments of the Met?

Jim
Old 16 Aug 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3290577)   #8
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I am surprised Health and Safety haven't got hold of this. I mean we need proper training in this sort of thing. I am surprised our overseeing body haven't produced a module, someone might sue if it all goes wrong.

The overseeing body should include within the module - how to deal with this, what technique to use, and vocalisations.

For intance;

When to use the Tarquin Thartwhistle Jenkins bouncing around on each foot with quick jabs to the Jonnies nose whilst chanting "Take that blighter"

Or use the "Hong Kong Phooey Ninja" technique with the relevant meows, noises, and comic special effect "thwacks".

Or the full Millwall Fan "windmilling in" technique complete with requisite expletives!

Obviously all are valid, but knowing which to use and when is the key and that takes skill, experience and proper training!

I jest of course! I would never act like those in the clip (either party), for one (major one at that) I am too scared and would much rather run away

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 16 Aug 2013 at 07:27. Reason: 'cause I can - so there!!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3290635)   #9
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
Well, I am surprised Health and Safety haven't got hold of this. I mean we need proper training in this sort of thing. I am surprised our overseeing body haven't produced a module, someone might sue if it all goes wrong.

The overseeing body should include within the module - how to deal with this, what technique to use, and vocalisations.

For intance;

When to use the Tarquin Thartwhistle Jenkins bouncing around on each foot with quick jabs to the Jonnies nose whilst chanting "Take that blighter"

Or use the "Hong Kong Phooey Ninja" technique with the relevant meows, noises, and comic special effect "thwacks".

Or the full Millwall Fan "windmilling in" technique complete with requisite expletives!

Obviously all are valid, but knowing which to use and when is the key and that takes skill, experience and proper training!

Did you ever do a WSR meeting Tony ?
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3290665)   #10
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
Did you ever do a WSR meeting Tony ?
Indeed I did. I found the "Millwall fan" technique of simply windmilling in the most useful during those LOL!

(Then ran off really quickly)
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3290666)   #11
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or turn up with a teddy bear, That should scare off most grown ups.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3290674)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
I am too scared and would much rather run away
A friend of mine used to find "You're quite sexy when you're angry" tended to halt them in their tracks.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3290681)   #13
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
A friend of mine used to find "You're quite sexy when you're angry" tended to halt them in their tracks.
Male to Male I'm not surprised!

But don't care.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 00:33 (Ref:3290842)   #14
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Friend of mine whom I'd encouraged to go marshalling, at his first and last rally, ended up having to rugby tackle a drunk who wanted to walk down a live stage as a car was approaching.