Old 5 Aug 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3286141)   #1
lisafrp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
lisafrp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling all Female Marshals

Hi

The British Women Racing Drivers Club are offering Women Marshals FREE membership to the club for a year.

To read more about this great initiative that was launched at Go motorsport Live please follow this link:
BWRDC GIVES THUMBS UP TO BRITISH MARSHALS!

If you are female and would like to join the club please fill in the following form and send off to our Club Secretary with a copy of your current marshal licence.
Application Form

To find out more about the club please pop along to our website:
http://www.bwrdc.co.uk/

Cheers
Lisa Selby
BWRDC Speed Secretary
CSCC Tin Tops #7
Old 5 Aug 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3286240)   #2
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done It!! Thanks for the generous offer, so far seem to have become addicted to bears!!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3286246)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With one thing and another over the last few months, all our paperwork has gone AWOL. Would love to join but no idea where licence is!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3286247)   #4
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who renews his wifes non-racing/non-marshaling subscription every year as a valentines present, I can say that the club are a very friendly bunch doing a great job in promoting women in motorsport.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3286255)   #5
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Already done - very nice welcome letter too
Old 7 Aug 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3287006)   #6
janeybobs
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
janeybobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done!!! Thank you very much!!!!
Old 8 Aug 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3287221)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice bit of sex discrimination there.

Oh, wait, I forgot sex discrimination doesn't count if it's "No Blokes".
Old 8 Aug 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3287350)   #8
lisafrp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
lisafrp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Nice bit of sex discrimination there.

Oh, wait, I forgot sex discrimination doesn't count if it's "No Blokes".
I believe the reason the British Women Racing Drivers Club was set up 50 years ago was because the Women Racing Drivers weren't accepted in the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) !
CSCC Tin Tops #7
Old 8 Aug 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3287354)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafrp View Post
I believe the reason the British Women Racing Drivers Club was set up 50 years ago was because the Women Racing Drivers weren't accepted in the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) !
My point, which stands, is that BWRDC are perpetuating sex discrimination in motorsport by only offering free membership to female marshals.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3287357)   #10
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst I agree that having a BRDC and a BWRDC can be construed as sexist, I have to disagree about sex discrimination in motorsport in general. And especially not when it comes to marshalling these days.

When I first started there were only two non-telephonist ladies on the bank (at Oulton Park). Toilets around the circuit were unheard of and the thought of a woman as a post chief was heresy. And that was in the ancient times of 1990 when we women thought we had cracked it already in terms of equality.

I remember Louise Aitken-Walker being most put out because the BWRDC "driver of the year" circa early 1990's was a young cadet karter called Stacey (pink overalls and pink wheels, no comment) - all L A-W had done was become a world rally champion. BUT, where is that Stacey or her successors now?

That is why I believe that any club or other organisation, whether in motorsport or otherwise, which promotes women's involvement in "male preserves", has to be encouraged until there really is a level playing field. And if this makes me a sad old fashioned bag, then so be it.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3287377)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
My comments should be taken with a pinch of salt, anyone who knows me and of course my better half EvilPumpkin would know that we and Tenths actively encourage women to enter motorsport at all levels and have certainly pushed our hardest to overcome the old female=flags mentality that was present in marshaling.

Indeed at Irish race events the numbers regularly approach 50/50 and long may this continue.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3287516)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
I just like to be controversial every now and then. It was also an excuse to use the Stacey/L A-W story.

But seriously, why are there so few really successful women drivers around? My theory at the time was that young girl cadets are no different from boys of the same age, but then those same girls become teenagers and suddenly clothes, make-up and older boys become much more interesting than getting up early and dragging off to a race circuit. And when said girls grow up and get interested again, they've missed out on all the opportunities. Should I write a thesis?

And I know why I went flagging - it is hard to do incident when you can't physically pick up a fire extinguisher, let alone carry it anywhere! Even my flags are super light-weight! Ramsay Inglis always referred to them as "Girlie-flags".

I am now just digging a hole and perpetuating the view, aren't I? I'll get me coat....
Old 9 Aug 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3287528)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
And I know why I went flagging - it is hard to do incident when you can't physically pick up a fire extinguisher, let alone carry it anywhere!
I wouldn't consider it a barrier, I'd expect you to know HOW to carry one, what the different types are and to be able to use it once you got there, they get lighter as they are used I'd ensure you worked as part of a team where someone else carried the bottle and you can be the sprinter to dive out and get the driver/electrics.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3287559)   #14
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
I'd ensure you worked as part of a team where someone else carried the bottle and you can be the sprinter to dive out and get the driver/electrics.
I have decided to get in here first before any of my dear colleagues get the chance.

Having had a major knee operation in 1982, before which I was "a sprinter" (I even have a gold 4x200m WAAA (more women's things) medal to prove it) - this is not a term which I could ever apply to my marshalling career. A "jogger" at best.

I am now rather worried about my darling Bill - will he recover from laughing in time to take me to the hospital later on today (as I'm not currently driving), and more importantly out for lunch on the way? = Bill!

You have to have met me to know me, and know me to love me. (That is actually quite profound - should that be my new signature?)
Old 9 Aug 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3287566)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
You have to have met me to know me, and know me to love me. (That is actually quite profound - should that be my new signature?)
I know you've been marshaling for many years, certainly longer than me, my point was that in general if I was PC I make allowances for different abilities.

And yes, that should be your new sig!
Old 9 Aug 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3287596)   #16
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't understand what the fuss is about....

Most male marshals have always been aware that motorsport marshalling is controlled by 'the fair sex' !!!

Whose permission do we need to attend a circuit ?

I rest my case m'lud......
Old 11 Aug 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3288290)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
Can't understand what the fuss is about....

Most male marshals have always been aware that motorsport marshalling is controlled by 'the fair sex' !!!

Whose permission do we need to attend a circuit ?

I rest my case m'lud......
Steve,

It just means more shopping time while you're messing about. I believe it is the same with those who go fishing.

Luvs & Hugs.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3288725)   #18
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I believe it is the same with those who go fishing.
Now that's a strange hobby. Why sit on a freezing cold bank just in case something might happen ......

Hmmm, sounds familiar ......

PS I could say something about why not save time by lobbing dynamite into the water and skimming the floaters off the top. Could make a day at Mallory even more interesting ....