Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3873113)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
SPA SUMMER CLASSIC

The now well established summer visit for several big UK grids.

Will include a CSCC race and the 'Mini 6hr' 3hr race saturday eve.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3880410)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The ‘3hr’ race website is up and running, with regs and entry forms.....

http://www.spa3hours.com
Old 29 Jan 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3880466)   #3
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take a 2019 Tea Break with Delta

Hi all.....bit of brain (!) picking required. And mods please move if needed. We are going to enter the Spa 3hr and have noticed reading the regs that the organizers have dropped (at least since I was visited the event in 2017) Yoko AO48’s, which the car has been set up for over the years, off their allowed tyre list. Now, aside from the obvious costs, can anyone tell me what is difference the mandated Dunlop or Avon historic tyres make and what I should consider altering on a small 1300cc fwd saloon to make these tyres work. Are they sticky/long lasting/crap? What are most preferred Dunlop post historic or Avon CR6ZZ? It seems a bit strange as in period (mid 70’s) the car like most saloons of the time, would have run on slicks. I’m asking as I don’t have an unlimited time or finance budget so days of testing aren’t really a runner for me. And the tyres are bloody expensive too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mike Bell; 29 Jan 2019 at 17:11. Reason: Moved from tea break as appropriate to this thread.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3880472)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
First, my take is that the organisers are trying to make sure that the later cars don’t have a huge tyre advantage, which would be the case with slicks or Yokos. I seem to remember that there was some disquiet when the race was first run regarding different cornering speeds.

Avon ZZs are virtually universally used in the Spa 6hrs. They’re radials, for a start, wear well, are good in the dry and excellent in the wet. Personally, I wouldn’t even consider Dunlop Post Historic over them.

The one disadvantage of the Avons is that they are heavy in comparison, but I’ve raced a few cars on Dunlop Ls and ZZs in different races without having to change any settings. But I am lazy!

The other factor to consider is the sizes available and making sure there is one suitable for your car.....
Old 29 Jan 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3880478)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Mike is spot on. Put a set of ZZ on and forget about them for a couple of years . Mike correct me me but I think we had a new set for 6 hour one year then left them on for the following year . I love driving on them . Good luck
Old 29 Jan 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3880481)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Mike is spot on. Put a set of ZZ on and forget about them for a couple of years . Mike correct me me but I think we had a new set for 6 hour one year then left them on for the following year . I love driving on them . Good luck
Yup, we did two 6hrs on same set...... Seem to remember it being ‘slightly damp’, which probably helped!
Old 29 Jan 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3880486)   #7
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Thanks folks, I like what you are saying..... especially about the wear, im really liking that!! Ive no problem with the regs, they are there so abide by them! It’ll be interesting to see how the car works on them. Has anyone done a direct comparison? .....All I need to know now is what paperwork and how much extra time I’ll need to bring my car from Ireland via the tunnel after he 29th of march but thats for another day.... :-)

Old 29 Jan 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3880504)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
Thanks folks, I like what you are saying..... especially about the wear, im really liking that!! Ive no problem with the regs, they are there so abide by them! It’ll be interesting to see how the car works on them. Has anyone done a direct comparison?
Most people will use a new set of ZZs every year for the 6, but we had a very wet race one year and wear was less than usual! Your car is FWD so obviously will treat its tyres differently to a RWD 60s GT. Certain rear drive cars that put a lot of weight on one wheel, such as an FIA 911, can require that tyre replacing, but unlikely in 3hrs. That could be a problem on the left front of a FWD car as well, but again, you’re only doing 3hrs.....

Generally the ZZ will result in a slightly quicker lap time than an equivalent Dunlop crossply around Spa in the dry, and quicker still in the wet. On a RWD car the radial will be more resistant to drifting, and maybe make the car understeer more. I can’t tell you how they will change your particular FWD car, though!

Hope that all makes sense....
Old 29 Jan 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3880507)   #9
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Makes perfect sense Mike. It is my concern, the understeer becoming far more pronounced especially with fwd. I can see the back end having to do a lot of work to try tame the front. As we dont run a diff it could get interesting!

Old 29 Jan 2019, 21:42 (Ref:3880517)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How much is a set of ZZ? Approximately.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jan 2019, 22:48 (Ref:3880525)   #11
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
SPA SUMMER CLASSIC

I have seen them at around £200 each for the 185/13’s. Not the cheapest tyre out there!!

Old 30 Jan 2019, 06:13 (Ref:3880548)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’m guessing the Dunlop’s would more, however? And not last as long!

As regards understeer, that can possibly be dialled out to an extent by juggling tyre pressures.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 30 Jan 2019 at 06:23.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3880556)   #13
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Specific regulation states: Any question about tyres? Please email us at: spa@motorclassic.com Article 3 ref to licences is well documented…
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:47 (Ref:3880558)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
What would your question be, then Gerard? Can I use slicks?

The licence requirements are as normal for Spa, so no worries for most UK club racers as long as they have Nat A.....
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3880567)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What would your question be, then Gerard? Can I use slicks?
Unfair Your Honor! But yes, in a certain way slicks should be allowed in this period as many stated including Podd. I dont dare to say that if, for instance, using radial slicks with a pattern thread design……… No, impossible! But may be Podd can ask to use A048's if he has a huge stock.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3880573)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well that's no bloody good for a Cortina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
On a RWD car the radial will be more resistant to drifting, and maybe make the car understeer more.

I had considered a set for my road car TBH, its similar to the race car but an inch or so higher and a bit softer. It'd be interesting to see what fits on the Tornado as that will soon be the weapon of choice ( hopefully) although I'd be daft to commit to this race before its even running!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3880575)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Unfair Your Honor! But yes, in a certain way slicks should be allowed in this period as many stated including Podd. I dont dare to say that if, for instance, using radial slicks with a pattern thread design……… No, impossible! But may be Podd can ask to use A048's if he has a huge stock.
With early period cars running in the same race, slicks on the later cars would be dangerous. Yokohama or similar less so, but they're still able to generate much faster cornering speeds.

It's interesting because I thought one of the reasons for allowing AO48s previously was because the Iberian Historic Endurance cars (that form quite a big proportion of the grid), ran on them. I've just tried to find their 2019 regulations, but nothing on the website. However, their 2017 tyre regs for Portimao are the same as Spa 2019....

So if those cars are on Avon ZZs or Dunlop crossplies in some form, I would suggest everyone will be.....
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3880577)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Well that's no bloody good for a Cortina!

I had considered a set for my road car TBH, its similar to the race car but an inch or so higher and a bit softer. It'd be interesting to see what fits on the Tornado as that will soon be the weapon of choice ( hopefully) although I'd be daft to commit to this race before its even running!
You can drift on them, but not to the same level as Ls.....

ZZs are good road tyres, especially if you want a period looking tread pattern. After you've got over the cost, that is...…
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3880590)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ref to A048s they are allowed in HTC and there is a good relationship between Iberian Endurance and PA. If you're looking for some dimensions in 13", Avon only "offers" CR 28 I guess?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3880596)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ref to A048s they are allowed in HTC and there is a good relationship between Iberian Endurance and PA. If you're looking for some dimensions in 13", Avon only "offers" CR 28 I guess?
But Peter Auto don't organise the Spa Summer Classic…..

Avon CR6ZZ tyres are in road car sizes- http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz I don't know the compound they use.

Joe, Appears ZZs are only allowed to be fitted to Pre 1990 cars. I didn't know that!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3880610)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You mean this: http://www.avonmotorsport.com/sites/...-TW1022-EU.jpg
Old 30 Jan 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3880612)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, but can’t think it applies to anything except road use. Another darn ‘E’ mark regulation!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3880615)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Do you think the windscreen regulation will be adapted too? E marking is mandatory for rallye use I guess.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 10:19 (Ref:3880622)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
When I first saw historic saloons at Silverstone '91 or'92 . . . . several of the cars had cracked windscreen pillars . . . . and inner wing fronts on Cortinas . . . they all ran on Yoko's then. totally wrong tyres for historic cars IMO.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3880656)   #25
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about CTCRC but HRSR certainly ran List 1B road tyres from inception (1983) to the end of 1996 season. Most used Yoko A008R though some used Avon Turbospeed (better in the wet). Good grip from the Yokos though you needed loads of camber for them to work right which made the cars look terrible and non-period. Much heavier (but loads cheaper) than the Dunlop CR65s we changed to for the 1997 season on.