Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Apr 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3973676)   #256
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I was twirling spanners on these things 15 years ago and people were trying to bring in rules to try to limit spending in areas that didn't improve the show. Without unanimous support these rules don't get passed, so those that had the money kept spending on more and more exotic things. Some time later minimum weights came in that took the value out of these things but still.
Engineers work by the rule book. If it's within the rulebook and the owner has the funds to pay for it, then it's fair game.

For example, if they can afford it, why shouldn't a V8 Supercar team be allowed to test for 30 days a year? Why shouldn't they be allowed to have one (or three) four-post shaker rigs running 24/7 collecting data?

It's all about engineering the unfair advantage after all.

Isn't it truly bizarre that a club racer with an old MX5 is allowed to use a four-post shaker rig, yet a supposedly professional V8 Supercar team is not... What on Earth is that all about!?

Strangely, it is fair game to develop your own front suspension on your V8 Supercar when that probably should have been made a standard part, like the rear suspension, to cut costs.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3973678)   #257
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I still say MARC II is the answer. Fast, relatively cheap, tough and look great.
Anyhow, no one replied to my question:

Should Supercars Gen 3 retain their unique under-tyred, under-aero formula?

OR should they adopt the wider tyre sizes [18x13 rims up from a Supercar's 18x11] and higher aero levels [complete with big diffuser!] that a MARC II car uses?

Marcos Ambrose already felt the V8COTF (with their improved weight distribution and IRS) handled too well compared to the old Project Blueprint cars, and adding wider tyres and more aero would only push the Supercars even more in the direction of handling well and being easier to drive...?

It is a good reminder when watching old races to remember just how badly V8 Supercars used to handle! Oran Park 2003 :P

[Oran Park = great track!]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 29 Apr 2020 at 19:38.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3973689)   #258
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Perkins Supercar on shaker rig - no longer allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
The big picture suggest that a more fundamental re-think is what is required for long term sustainability.
On the topic of sustainability, perhaps a downsize turbo formula with a hybrid would be more attractive to manufacturers.

They could still be 635bhp and RWD, but just four-cylinder powered and hybrid-assisted. Out with Mustang GT and in with Mustang Ecoboost Hybrid.
Old 2 May 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3974091)   #259
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Methinks the pilot has a lot more to do with this, plus the entries have been more than a little thin lately.

Try this one that PACE are currently knocking up:
https://autoaction.com.au/2020/04/19...TDES6WI1Ivl21U

I was twirling spanners on these things 15 years ago and people were trying to bring in rules to try to limit spending in areas that didn't improve the show. Without unanimous support these rules don't get passed, so those that had the money kept spending on more and more exotic things. Some time later minimum weights came in that took the value out of these things but still.

If anybody reckons you're going to go get PACE to knock you up a bespoke Sports Sedan for less than the cost of a brand new Supercar I have a bridge to sell you.

The reason I bought this up is that both F1 and Supercars have the same problem. At some point changes needed to be made for the betterment of the sport but due to vested interests the ultimate decision could never be taken.

in F1, its around a spending cap, the top teams want to stay at the top.

In Supercars, stupid **** like the goofy Mustang roll hoop and disastrous homologation shouldn't have happened, and there were those in the group who saw it coming and tried to deal with the issues.

But there's too many fingers in the pie and the organisation is paralysed by committee.

Needs a good dictator to sort them out.... But I digress.
As a fan back to the sports closed days, seeing these things drying on the vine saddens me.
As a long time admirer of Basil & the crew, the way the Alfa has dominated for so long has done nothing for the class.
The PACE project cheers me up, thanks for that.

Last edited by cavvy; 2 May 2020 at 11:57. Reason: missed reply
Old 4 May 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3974408)   #260
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I struggle to think of any volume selling cars in the Australian market that could form the basis for any series that would have a large following. The days of the large family sedan are truly dead & buried and I think it has been proven that smaller capacity cars don't work here on a large scale. Maybe go back to the true sports sedan with loose rules as we had in the past. True innovation was then possible and they were awesome cars and great racing.
How about removing the sport from any considerations of what is currently on the road (it's all SUVs anyway) and from what manufacturers want to sell (they won't do it through racing anyway) and turn the series into a sport like football or rugby, i.e. one that exists without a real-world counterpart in the non-sporting-world, but only as entertainment. Let the fans have a vote on which era of body-styles they want to see again (e.g. BFs vs VEs) and build cars that look and sound just like that. (Maybe have another vote every 5 years to keep things reasonably fresh.)

It might sound crazy at first glance, but it actually has happened before in Argentina with their Turismo Carretera series, which is essentially stuck in a weird 1970s time-warp, but still manages to be the most popular form of racing in the country. That way, one could also preserve the tribalism of red-vs-blue even with Holden and Ford no longer involved in the series.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3979940)   #261
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Coming to a Supercars pitlane near you???

The shape is a lot more Mustang-like than the old BMW 4-series, so it could be a good fit for the category in terms of aerodynamic parity and the potentially lowered Gen 3 rollhoop.

Much grille-painting may ensue!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 3 Jun 2020 at 10:05.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 11:29 (Ref:3979959)   #262
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool I just added a BMW to the fleet