Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3979158)   #3856
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
If I want to watch technological perfection with some of the best drivers in the world driving some of the finest pieces of automotive technology at their limit, I'll watch F1 and the WEC. It is possible to admire and/or like them all for what they are, and not wish them to be something else!
The current power-units are incredibly complex but not necessarily relevant and "technological perfection". The current power-units are "mild hybrids" in two separate ways: the so-called MGU-K and the MGU-H. I can only think of two road cars using the latter, one being a so-called hypercar. LMP1 is the only category that allows the same technology, but no even the Porsche 919 had an electric motor to eliminate turbo lag. Instead, the energy recovered by the turbocharger was used to propel the front-wheels by a singe electric motor. That very technology is now used for the Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

Yes, the current power-units are true technical masterpieces. But they also embody a missed opportunity. As the regulations effectively force manufacturers to stick with them and hence are too strict in that respect, fresh blood in the form of new entrants is out of reach.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3979985)   #3857
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry posted in wrong thread, please delete.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3982486)   #3858
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
a sensible addition of tokens to promote fairness, for Mclaren to change their engine, and for other teams to do improvements for 2021.

makes sense really. if they do run their cars this year in anger then surely they will learn things and want to make improvements. a couple of tokens would seem, as Brawn suggests, allow for that while keeping an eye on costs so good compromise.

also, apparently one team has a cooling issue with their car?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...brawn/4807652/
Old 17 Jun 2020, 16:42 (Ref:3982504)   #3859
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
a sensible addition of tokens to promote fairness, for Mclaren to change their engine, and for other teams to do improvements for 2021.

makes sense really. if they do run their cars this year in anger then surely they will learn things and want to make improvements. a couple of tokens would seem, as Brawn suggests, allow for that while keeping an eye on costs so good compromise.

also, apparently one team has a cooling issue with their car?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...brawn/4807652/
I read that. My first thoughts were:

1. Practicle solution for those that need to make adjustments in a "frozen" development cycle.
2. Teams will try to game this.

Basically it is a "get out of jail free" card. Problem is, will a team not have a "big" problem and will then use their joker early to try to develop the car. Then later they do have a real problem, don't have a joker and complain and ask for more! I can't seem to find any details on how the this limited token system works. Is there multiple tokens, etc.?

Richard
Old 17 Jun 2020, 17:51 (Ref:3982513)   #3860
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
yeah the scope of each token is not really described in great detail nor is the window in which they are allowed to use it.

when i read the article i had just assumed it would be used after the 2020 season and before the start of the 2021 season...basically to mesh with the time frame Mclaren has to change their engine over and that their engine change plus whatever else needs to be done will equal the two tokens...so that could mean a lot of work will be allowed

no doubt teams will try to game the system but i would think the tokens just allow for changes to the chassis/car and not an opportunity to spend over the budget cap?

lot of assumption on my part there.