Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 May 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2878859)   #101
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I drove the new GP configuration last night on a track day with an instructor to learn the new circuit before racing there later this season in the Le Mans series.

While it is sad that some of the fantastic old corners are gone - especially Bridge and Abbey, the new configuration has a couple of fantastic sections and I think will make for some great racing.

Really looking forward to Silverstone Classic now and getting to run it in something quick!
Old 11 May 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2878903)   #102
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entries are in for the S-type in O2LTC and E-type in the Challenge, let's wait and see......
Old 12 May 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2879168)   #103
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I drove the new GP configuration last night on a track day with an instructor to learn the new circuit before racing there later this season in the Le Mans series.

While it is sad that some of the fantastic old corners are gone - especially Bridge and Abbey, the new configuration has a couple of fantastic sections and I think will make for some great racing.

Really looking forward to Silverstone Classic now and getting to run it in something quick!
I had a couple of laps of it last week with Simon Hadfield in Leo Voyazides' Cobra & it's a gas!

By giraffe138 at 2011-05-04

By giraffe138 at 2011-05-04
Old 21 May 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2883421)   #104
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if all the races are for fia sanctioned cars only? or is there an allcomers race?
Old 21 May 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2883424)   #105
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
Anyone know if all the races are for fia sanctioned cars only?

Doe's such a thing still exist?
Old 21 May 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2883429)   #106
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
Anyone know if all the races are for fia sanctioned cars only? or is there an allcomers race?
Check out the Silverstone Classic website, Rikki. Sure the Elite would fit in

As an aside, the 'celebrity' race will now be in V6 Morgan Roadsters from the Morgan championship. The demise of the Abarth series has at least helped provide cars more in keeping with the event! My understanding is that owners have been asked to lend cars on basis that any damage will be paid for........
Old 22 May 2011, 07:25 (Ref:2883764)   #107
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TBQH if last year's "race" is anything to go by, they're more at risk on the trailer getting to the meeting.

Looking forward to the event. Have arranged to borrow on site sleeping accommodation for the Midgetman clan, just need good weather and plenty of customers now
Old 6 Jul 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2922674)   #108
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*Bump*

Ok then should we have a roll call? We're there in the B for the Pre 66 GTs. Not staying on site though, we're only 45mins away.

I'm taking a long weeeeeekend so will hopefully be around from Thursday practice to Sunday, shut up shop.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2922681)   #109
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got a stand there again in the tented village. Am staying on site.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2922686)   #110
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We will have a couple of cars at meeting.

May even attend to see what occurs .Have to drop off crate at Iain's BBQ.

Can't seem to get very interested in any of it this year.

Bent cars in doggy Championships.

No Pre War.

Looking forward to Goodwood Revival.(to watch)

Have changed that much
Old 6 Jul 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2922689)   #111
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
We will have a couple of cars at meeting.

May even attend to see what occurs .Have to drop off crate at Iain's BBQ.

Can't seem to get very interested in any of it this year.

No Pre War.

Looking forward to Goodwood Revival.(to watch)

Have changed that much
I will miss the Classic as I will be at Castle Combe watching my son in the local FF championship but JR I look forward to seeing you at the revival - my race is first thing Sunday
Old 6 Jul 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2922697)   #112
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Will be there friday and saturday crewing for James & Suzanne. Their E Type is entered in GTSCC, and think will be in new pits / paddock. May stay sunday to watch other races- depends on weather! Definitely there for Delta BBQ friday eve!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2922709)   #113
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The S type is in the Big Engine TC and the E type in the Challenge so will be there Thurs - Sunday, big family event so lots of polishers. Not sure if I'll do testing yet, probably not. Will definitely be at the Delta BBQ if only to drink the beer I've promised.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2922800)   #114
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself and Fay will be there all three days, myself starting the races and waving the chequered flag at you, Fay will just be her normal bossy self. We will both be at Delta BBQ to drink the beers so kindly offered by the drivers and JR.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2922802)   #115
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Have to drop off crate at Iain's BBQ.
Which of your cars is the crate John !!!!!!!!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2922818)   #116
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Blimey, you've got an entry for Crufts then John?

Having survived the ever so late running FOS & provided I get through the Oysters & Chablis at the BRDC this weekend without losing my host, Sid Taylor, I have committed Camp Giraffe to the Woodlands site for 4 nights over the Classic, so no doubt it will p--s down! Look out for the easily identifiable flag & bunting!

By giraffe138 at 2011-07-06

Sid's the fella on the right.

Last edited by Giraffe138; 6 Jul 2011 at 12:37.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2922819)   #117
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe138 View Post
Look out for the easily identifiable flag & bunting!
Is that the new name for the Scarf and Goggles?
Old 6 Jul 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2923054)   #118
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entered the Grantura in the Masters pre '66 GTs but politely turned down so will be donning the pit board and stop watch to assist with Jon's Falcon in the big banger saloons. Looks like we will be there from Thursday onwards. Big benefit I guess is that as I don't have to worry about driving I can take full advantage of Delta's BBQ opportunity and bring some refreshments to the party!

Last edited by DaveGT6; 6 Jul 2011 at 21:49.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2923670)   #119
Clock watcher
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Clock watcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not doing anything this year. Time for Cara and I to take a look around this meeting for a change. So Fay and Alan no sweeties for you this time
Old 8 Jul 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2923683)   #120
CUT 7
Rookie

CUT 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great so many from this forum will be there.

A question; there are 2 paddocks now, 'national'
(T T, touring carts etc) and international( GP C, Italian Car cup etc)

As a pedestrian, how does one get from one to the other?
On the circuit map there is still only the one entrance to the infield over the bridge, and no visible way to the international paddock from either the old paddock or the other side of the circuit from say,Abbey.
In fact on the map the new paddock seems only to be accesable by a bus-ie queues- and then not walkaboutable inat all .
Is this the case?
Any pointers?
Also , we used to watch the action from around abbey,at ground level rather than in a stand, and could see cars as they went round Stowe , Club passed us, onto Farm.
Now the pits are in the way.Wheres good?
Looking forward to it.
Hpe everyone has a great time

Last edited by CUT 7; 8 Jul 2011 at 14:47.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2923689)   #121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If you get the opportunity come and say hello. We're in the new pits, car No. 94 in GD on Saturday.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2923691)   #122
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUT 7 View Post

A question; there are 2 paddocks now, 'national'
(T T, touring carts etc) and international( GP C, Italian Car cup etc)

As a pedestrian, how does one get from one to the other?
If they run it the same as the GT meeting a few weeks ago then you can walk between the two paddocks if you're early enough, however, once racing has commenced you have to take a bus. I hope they put on a few more buses this time or allow spectators on the 'Team Personnel' buses (if they have them).
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 8 Jul 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2923783)   #123
midgetman
Veteran

Having been very supportive of the Classic over the years, I'm very dischuffed with arrangements for exhibitors. For example, we were promised to be able to camp in the racers camp site, but we're consigned to Woodlands which is bloody miles away and full of party animals. Not impressed, treatment gets worse every year.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2923797)   #124
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We were also meant to be camping at the northern end of the circuit with car club passes but now have been moved to Woodlands.
Silverstone seem to think it's an improvement but it's a real pain. Unlikely to want to wander from the show stage all the way to the camp site late at night and as for popping to the Paddock bite for breakfast through the tunnel, now it's a 2 mile walk.
I'm expecting the paddock visits to be a farce, with a bus as the only option between the two.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2924621)   #125
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be at the Classic - only my second historic meeting of the year and one I'm really looking forward to!

I will supply a case of beer for the bbq on Saturday as well Iain.