Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jul 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2924631)   #126
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I will be at the Classic - only my second historic meeting of the year and one I'm really looking forward to!

I will supply a case of beer for the bbq on Saturday as well Iain.
I think its on Friday!
Old 10 Jul 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2924653)   #127
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regardless I will supply beer.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 05:39 (Ref:2924910)   #128
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Excellent "thanks"
Old 11 Jul 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2925064)   #129
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the deal with the garage spaces (in particular in the International paddock). Is it like Goodwood, where each car is allocated a space? Or is a free for all where different grids are allocated to different pits?

Thanks
Old 11 Jul 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2925076)   #130
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
What is the deal with the garage spaces (in particular in the International paddock). Is it like Goodwood, where each car is allocated a space? Or is a free for all where different grids are allocated to different pits?

Thanks
Hi Geraint, looking at final instructions each grid has been allocated a number of garages in original (now 'National') or the shiny new bit. No suggestion of any individual space (or tents ) this time.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2925152)   #131
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Having been very supportive of the Classic over the years, I'm very dischuffed with arrangements for exhibitors. For example, we were promised to be able to camp in the racers camp site, but we're consigned to Woodlands which is bloody miles away and full of party animals. Not impressed, treatment gets worse every year.
Makes one wonder why? Being treated by a year on year basis with an ever increasingly worse envoironment in which to ''enjoy'' what should be one of the highlights of the historic motor racing calender some of us bother to be there at all. Must be the new ''layout'' even Mclaren fail now to fit wheelnuts, mind seem to remember...sorry Tinker.
Said it before, [boring I know] but here goes anyway, with the BRDC no longer bothered with race meeting organisation, and the departure of James Beckett, the comments above will continue to be voiced. I agree with the above, still going.....
Old 11 Jul 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2925178)   #132
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's endemic. Show organisers bend over backwards to give away tickets to drag in the punters, but we have to pay again for "extras", having forked out for the stand. No power provided of course, no security and now I've got to park in Woodlands I'm two miles from my kettle! When you're there four days, the coffee cost adds up.....

Classic, Revival, Festival...they all want more and more money for the pitch and the ancillaries. Lots of people starting to ask if it's worth trying to trade at these big events now.

Ah well no doubt next year I'll pay up again and gripe some more!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2925234)   #133
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's endemic. Show organisers bend over backwards to give away tickets to drag in the punters, but we have to pay again for "extras", having forked out for the stand. No power provided of course, no security and now I've got to park in Woodlands I'm two miles from my kettle! When you're there four days, the coffee cost adds up.....

Classic, Revival, Festival...they all want more and more money for the pitch and the ancillaries. Lots of people starting to ask if it's worth trying to trade at these big events now.

Ah well no doubt next year I'll pay up again and gripe some more!
Lessons being learned you see.

The banks have done it and got away with it.

Government has done it and got away with it.

The utilities have done it and got away with it.

The Post Office has done it and got away with it.

Oil companies, insurance companies, grocers, car manufacturers and mobile phone companies - all have got away with it.

No surprise than that everyone else will try the same thing.

I can't wait for my opportunity to do it too!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2925263)   #134
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like the rest of the GBP, gluttons for punishment, Like Audrey Roberts in Corrie, she has a trannie...
Old 12 Jul 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2925408)   #135
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For example, we were promised to be able to camp in the racers camp site, but we're consigned to Woodlands which is bloody miles away and full of party animals. Not impressed, treatment gets worse every year.
I'm camping for the duration at Woodlands which incidentally was not open last year for the Classic. I camped at Litchlake Farm last year which had about 15% occupancy and was very quiet and a tad primitive but convenient(ish).
At last weekend's GP, it was very much "us & them" between the two paddocks, and I expect it to be the same for the Classic. The dynamics have shifted considerably.

The provisional what's where & when:

http://silverstoneclassic.com/event-...map-timetable/
Old 12 Jul 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2925421)   #136
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aah, I'm just getting old I suppose.....the last couple of years the Classic has been delightfully relaxed and we managed to put the camper right next to the stand. It's a shock to the system that they are getting organised. Not that "organised" things are necessarliy for the better, it's normally an excuse for a price increase

See you at Woodlands, Giraffe. I've borrowed a large grey Iveco camper with MG and Porsche logos on. I must admit I'm looking forward to the weekend immensely, MiniMidgetMax is in love with the Group C cars (good taste from one so young) and we're all looking forward to the dusk race.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2925464)   #137
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post

Thanks
I have just been told that Formula Junior have 66 cars entered (including reserves) and have been told that they have to fit into 6 garages!

I am also told that for competitor camping we will not been allowed to keep our cars next to the tents. Once we have unloaded the cars have to be moved to another place. Obviously a really cleaver idea to protect our valuables - I have no idea how to lock a tent.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2925479)   #138
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I have just been told that Formula Junior have 66 cars entered (including reserves) and have been told that they have to fit into 6 garages!

I am also told that for competitor camping we will not been allowed to keep our cars next to the tents. Once we have unloaded the cars have to be moved to another place. Obviously a really cleaver idea to protect our valuables - I have no idea how to lock a tent.
See, what you need Compte is a motorhome. Preferably a big one with hot and cold running staff. Difficult to demand that you separate motorised transportation from sleeping accomodation with one of those.

If it's really big I would guess that you get a fully secure VIP camp site, like at Glastonbury, where celebs can all hang out together in comfort and look at each other's valuables.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2925485)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
See, what you need Compte is a motorhome. Preferably a big one with hot and cold running staff.
Oddly enough, if you look at the SC website they are offering a discount on motorhomes. How coincidental.

I was going to take my cameras along but I think I'll give it a miss because I've nowhere to keep them.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2925498)   #140
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oddly enough, if you look at the SC website they are offering a discount on motorhomes. How coincidental.

I was going to take my cameras along but I think I'll give it a miss because I've nowhere to keep them.
The camera thing is something of a concern for me too.

However, looking at the map here I would have even greater concerns were I a competitor since Competitor Parking seems to be located opposite the National pits between the track and the public containment fence in front of the Grandstands. (At least I assume the Grandstands still exist opposite the 'Old' pits. They don't seem to be identified as such in the key.) Thats seems a tad dangerous to me but presumably the idea has been tried and tested. I suppose the map might be misleading

I think the organisers have missed a trick with the Routemasters as well. If they were to run the service around the track between sessions not only might it be more fun for the passengers but the distance travelled over the weekend would be greatly reduced resulting in significant enhancement of the all important green credentials for the event.

Is there a passport check when moving between the paddocks?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2925499)   #141
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup competitors are parking outside the circuit behind where the old start/finish grandstands used to be. I suspect I'll be quite fit by the end of the weekend. But that does put the cap on taking the cameras. I'll be carrying my race gear to and fro. Gawd knows what I'm going to do about tools etc.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2925610)   #142
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This might be the right moment to say that I have a spare room (double or single) available at my B&B - not too far from the track. Please PM me if you are interested.
Marcus
Old 12 Jul 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2925633)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I should make it clear that I am not complaining, rather simply raising a concern. Clearly the organisers are geared for those with multiple cars and therefore us one car entrants are deemed not to need tools, spares etc. I guess it demonstrates how different things are from the 80s and 90s when the majority were one car entries.

I am however looking forward to this.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2925692)   #144
midgetman
Veteran

Hee hee hee, TBQH the cost of the stand is little more than the price for the three of us to attend for three days, plus we get a prime area hospitality point backing on to the National paddock, plus free camping. And all this along with the chance to make a bit of money to pay for it and promote my business at the same time.

With my enthusiast's hat on, I can't really complain can I? Although I hope to be FAR too busy to watch the racing.

And I do think that it's time some organisers look at how they treat the stand holders, in these straitened times we actually need to turn a profit and not merely write it off to the PR budget. A favourite moan of visitors is the price of comestibles, and we have to live off them for four days.....

Last edited by midgetman; 12 Jul 2011 at 17:31. Reason: Apostrophic pedantry
Old 12 Jul 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2925748)   #145
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
........ A favourite moan of visitors is the price of comestibles, and we have to live off them for four days.....
no you don't, you're borrowing my camper and you know the culinary delights we can turn out from it...
Old 12 Jul 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2925758)   #146
Captain Mainwaring
Rookie

Captain Mainwaring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My final instructions say we (U2TC) are all in garages 3 & 4 in the National (Old) pits. What's that all about, then?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2925794)   #147
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
no you don't, you're borrowing my camper and you know the culinary delights we can turn out from it...
Yup, I'm all sorted. Microwave, ready meals, gallons of milk and tons of cereals. Should see me for evening meals and breakfast

It's elevenses, luncheon, and afternoon tea that worry me, I may end up wasting away
Old 12 Jul 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2925808)   #148
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mainwaring View Post
My final instructions say we (U2TC) are all in garages 3 & 4 in the National (Old) pits. What's that all about, then?

Think they are using both sets of garages
Old 12 Jul 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2925814)   #149
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mainwaring View Post
How many entries are there?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2925846)   #150
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Have only seen an entry list for IHCC /GTSCC and there are 60 odd with reserves. So assume 50 on grid and 5 of the shiny new garages allocated. The HSCC website shows entry of nearly 40 for 'Big Engined' TCs, and two garages in original pits. If not in preparers area (which I guess a fair number will be) sounds like it is going to be fun.....