Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Apr 2001, 23:48 (Ref:82872)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh hell. don't you hate it when you have ideas, and you have to follow them up just to shut your brain up for a nights rest?

i want to go to the monaco gp. having been once, and been unimpressed with the view on the big cliff bit, i want to go in a grandstand. anyone been, and know which has a nice view that might still be available now? is any stand good in monaco?

despite nearly living in the near vicinity, i have no knowledge about the race day itself. having been by train (£9 return for a student, for a 45 minute train journey. wagn, are you listening?), it's a bit hectic, what with others doing the same. is the taking the car idea really silly?

or am i just talking a load of tripe as usual, and is it time to settle back in the armchair with a pipe and slippers and watch the race on tv?
Old 22 Apr 2001, 15:15 (Ref:83583)   #2
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm going, and I've been told not to bother trying to drive from Eze, but rather get the train from Beaulieu. If you think about how many people are going, and how small monaco is, where would everyone park?
Old 23 Apr 2001, 12:56 (Ref:84006)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i bet eze is quite expensive.
the train is so cheap. especially if you can get away with calling yourself a student. the area around monaco is quite large, though.

there is a small rail station in eze (v.pretty if i remember rightly). check the internet for timetables, because the earlier you get there the fewer grockles there are likely to be.

i checked easyjet's site for flights, and to fly down for the weekend is over £300. for a week, it goes down to about £170. go doesn't have a flight out for more than a week, but it has a flight back for about £110. in the end it'd be easier and cheaper to drive...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 07:14 (Ref:84325)   #4
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove to some place on the coast just West of Monaco and then piled on the train, is pretty simple and quite civilised...
As for grandstands, try and get one that enables you to see the big screen on the far side of the harbour, but to be honest I scrummed it on "the big cliff".
If I sat anywhere, I'd want to be able to see the left-right at the entrance of the swimming pool I think (assuming you haven't got a hope in hell of getting a seat on the grandstands overlooking the start finish)
Cheers
RickP
Old 24 Apr 2001, 12:03 (Ref:84388)   #5
jonboyG
Racer

I don't have to pay for accomodation while I'm there, and the flight from gatwick was only £125, and the tickets for the GP were £90. Compared to £195 for a grandstand at silverstone, an extra £20 for 10 days in the south of france isn't too bad.

There is a train station in Eze sur mer IIRC, but the flat is in Eze village (up in the hills) and I think Beaulieu is a bit closer to drive to.

Less than a month to go.......

Last edited by jonboyG; 24 Apr 2001 at 12:04.
Old 24 Apr 2001, 13:54 (Ref:84442)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
my olds have a place up in the hills above mandelieu la napoule, and i'm seriously thinking about going.... *mustn't...must save..money*

have a great time, anyway.

rick, i've been up on the rocks (£20 in 1995! bargainous!), and the view seriously hampered my enjoyment of the race. especially because we were right up on the road....

be prepared for a lovely shock with the new railway station in monaco. amazing...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 14:13 (Ref:84451)   #7
jonboyG
Racer

Anything would be an improvement on the old one (its been a whiile since I took the train to monaco, but I remember it being a crappy station).

Bella - you have no excuse - the first thing I did when my folks got this flat was make sure I got the keys for the GP weekend.
Old 25 Apr 2001, 23:58 (Ref:85079)   #8
jonboyG
Racer

I've checked the tickets and we're on beau rivage, just after Ste Devote. Not sure if the view will be all that great, but hopefully we'll get to see the mess at the first corner

Any one else going to be there?

Last edited by jonboyG; 25 Apr 2001 at 23:59.