Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2800504)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
A simple pedal around a circuit is way different from off-road stuff.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2800507)   #27
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
A simple pedal around a circuit is way different from off-road stuff.
as your dear avatar photo guy can attest!

falling off bikes is part of the deal, as others said, one can get hurt in lots of things in life (and yes, I thought of the hangliding incident, and consequent contracts adjusted because of this and other things)
Old 6 Dec 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2800524)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
as your dear avatar photo guy can attest!

falling off bikes is part of the deal, as others said, one can get hurt in lots of things in life (and yes, I thought of the hangliding incident, and consequent contracts adjusted because of this and other things)
I must have missed something. What's Petter been up to?

Off-topic, but I'm glad to read today that he's doing the Monte Carlo Rally in a works Peugeot 207. The guy has worked SO hard this year to keep going as a privateer that he deserves a break.

Anyway, back on topic I'm wishing Mark all the best for next year.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2800537)   #29
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Does anyone know if it was the shoulder with the chip on?

Sorry, sorry.
Actually Mark is a much more balanced person than you might think..... he has a chip on both shoulders.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2800550)   #30
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Well, i guess it's easier for him to sleep at night if he says 'I was disadvantaged by my secret broken shoulder' to himself rather than 'Sebastian Vettel is simply better than me'....
Old 6 Dec 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2800589)   #31
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Well, i guess it's easier for him to sleep at night if he says 'I was disadvantaged by my secret broken shoulder' to himself rather than 'Sebastian Vettel is simply better than me'....
That totally pathetic effort by Peat above doesn't even dignify an answer.

Even though I have other drivers I favour, Mark Webber has jumped hugely in my estimation for not using this an an excuse.
The pain he would have been in, with the G-force loadings on his body, would've played havoc with his system, because no matter what shots you might take before a race, the sheer loads on your body throughout a typical F1 race would just about make any pain shots meaningless.

One cannot take so many painkillers that the torso or body is numb - Not in F1 anyway - and Webber really is to be respected for the way in which he soldiered on despite the injury.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2800591)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meh... JPM did most of a season with one.

JPM.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2800593)   #33
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I dunno, call me a cynic, but it just sounds like a bit of an excuse as to why he couldnt hold a candle to Seb V when the pressure was on at the end of the season.

I am suprised at just how many people have taken it as read without questioning it.

If it's true, then fair play. But 'D'oh!' at the same time.

PS. Actually, perhaps it may explain why he was SUCH a whiner at Korea before the start. Worried about further injury.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2800595)   #34
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
This proves that he is harder than JPM.
I am worried by your knowledge of the relative hardness of various drivers.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2800599)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow ! That's a great story !
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2800604)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

PS. Actually, perhaps it may explain why he was SUCH a whiner at Korea before the start. Worried about further injury.
No, he's too gritty. His granite will is beyond the ken of mere mortals.

Simply, Mark had the well being of his fellow competitors foremost in his mind.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2800606)   #37
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
I dunno, call me a cynic, but it just sounds like a bit of an excuse as to why he couldnt hold a candle to Seb V when the pressure was on at the end of the season.

I am suprised at just how many people have taken it as read without questioning it.

If it's true, then fair play. But 'D'oh!' at the same time.

You're a cynic!

Read this from James Allen:
Quote:
Although not the typical Red Bull athlete in terms of his general demeanour and dress sense, Webber seems to typify the breed more than most in terms of taking part in risky extreme sports.

Despite the injury, Webber managed to finish second in Japan and Brazil, but a crash in Korea and an off colour performance in Abu Dhabi lost him the championship to Vettel. I’m told that Webber does not feel that the injury was an excuse for not making the grade in the end.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2800607)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

In simple terms he lost the championship in the final stages because he crashed in Korea. Nothing to do with a shoulder injury and so he couldn't really use it as an excuse, and he knows it.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2800608)   #39
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
In simple terms he lost the championship in the final stages because he crashed in Korea. Nothing to do with a shoulder injury and so he couldn't really use it as an excuse, and he knows it.
Agreed.

Ultimately he must shoulder the blame.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2800614)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Very humerus.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2800617)   #41
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Simply, Mark had the well being of his fellow competitors foremost in his mind.
Indeed. He meant no arm.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2800619)   #42
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Read the story again people!

"Webber says in his book, 'Up Front - 2010, A Season To Remember': "On the Sunday morning before (the Japanese Grand Prix at) Suzuka, I got on a mountain bike for the first time since my accident in Tasmania at the end of 2008.
"I was riding with a great friend of mine. Suddenly, he crashed right in front of me and I had nowhere to go but straight through the ears of the horse!
"I suffered what they call a skier's fracture to my right shoulder.
"Suzuka is a brutal track so it was a blessing that the Japanese weather gave me an enforced rest day on the Saturday (when qualifying was rained off), and a pre-race injection helped, too."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like another tall tale to help sales of his rapidly released "tell all" book. These are Mark's own words in his own book, surely you'd make sure the story would make sense before you print it!

This brings back memories of the delayed excuses for his spin in the wet on lap 1 at Silverstone (gearbox) & electrical issues in Singapore (underground railway system...which wasn't even running! That's a good one btw!!)

We all know a book won't sell without a bit of "octane booster". Also vagueries like "a great friend of mine" wouldn't exactly please a judge!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2800623)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Seems to be fashionable to release books about finishing a distant third in the championship.

Old 7 Dec 2010, 00:01 (Ref:2800627)   #44
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post
That totally pathetic effort by Peat above doesn't even dignify an answer
...but you're giving one anyway......
Old 7 Dec 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2800629)   #45
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran Park Forever View Post
"Webber says in his book, 'Up Front - 2010, A Season To Remember': "On the Sunday morning before (the Japanese Grand Prix at) Suzuka, I got on a mountain bike for the first time since my accident in Tasmania at the end of 2008.
"I was riding with a great friend of mine. Suddenly, he crashed right in front of me and I had nowhere to go but straight through the ears of the horse!
"I suffered what they call a skier's fracture to my right shoulder.
"Suzuka is a brutal track so it was a blessing that the Japanese weather gave me an enforced rest day on the Saturday (when qualifying was rained off), and a pre-race injection helped, too."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like another tall tale to help sales of his rapidly released "tell all" book. These are Mark's own words in his own book, surely you'd make sure the story would make sense before you print it!

This brings back memories of the delayed excuses for his spin in the wet on lap 1 at Silverstone (gearbox) & electrical issues in Singapore (underground railway system...which wasn't even running! That's a good one btw!!)

We all know a book won't sell without a bit of "octane booster". Also vagueries like "a great friend of mine" wouldn't exactly please a judge!
I don't see any discrepancy. He's referring to the Sunday before Suzuka when he was still in Australia and that's where the accident occurred.

No great conspiracy theory, sorry.

Also, he's writing a book, not appearing before judge in court. There's no need to name his friend who no doubt feels pretty bad about what happened.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 00:58 (Ref:2800646)   #46
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nothing to do with a shoulder injury and so he couldn't really use it as an excuse, and he knows it.
I am open to correction or referral to a link that proves otherwise, but where is it even suggested that MW might use this injury as an excuse, or even look like he might use it as an excuse, for how the Championship result petered out?

Please do not read this wrong - I am no Webber apologist - but this injury, or the extent of it, wasn't even generally known outside of the inner circle, certainly not in here or other commentary sites, until a day or so ago.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2800654)   #47
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Knowlesy;2800623]Seems to be fashionable to release books about finishing a distant third in the championship.

Agreed, in fact Webber himself wrote a newspaper article before Abu Dabi titled "No one remembers who came second!".......or third as it happens.

The title "Up Front" is therefore a little misleading, he should've used his famous quote: "Not bad for a number 2!"

Such a quick book release surely means it was already 95% written. With only the front cover & final few paragraphs to "rewrite". He was pictured on the cover of an Aus sports magazine back in October with the title "How I'll become World Champion"............Champions know to never, EVER say stuff like that!

Old 7 Dec 2010, 01:43 (Ref:2800658)   #48
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
The guy in front of him came off and Webber had no where to go.
Was it a McLaren bike?
Old 7 Dec 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2800663)   #49
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post
Please do not read this wrong - I am no Webber apologist - but this injury, or the extent of it, wasn't even generally known outside of the inner circle, certainly not in here or other commentary sites, until a day or so ago.
Seems like the injury was not even known about within the inner circle according to Horner.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 03:15 (Ref:2800678)   #50
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Was it a McLaren bike?
Reb Bull RB7B
Carbon frame, titanium forks and wheels, moulded seat, Brembo brake.