Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jan 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2810632)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Decent car = Better results = "Hey, this chap is pretty good!'

I guess.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2810776)   #27
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to tell whether Sir Jackie is right because of the danger they faced back in the day. Maybe the 'field fillers' in the 60's were as talented as the Liuzzis and Trullis of today, but in order to prove it would have to risk their lives more than their modern counterparts. Modern F1 drivers can push to the very edge of their talent without fear, old F1 drivers could not.

So comparisons are always going to be biased towards the modern drivers.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2812346)   #28
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well saying it is the best ever field is debatable, but I would say it is certainly a very strong and competitive field, especially when you compare it to the mid 1990s. Great as Schumi was, he never really had a strong competitor, except for Senna. Mika was certainly the nearest to him, but he did probably have a car advantage for most of the time he fought Schumi.

With Alonso(probably the best all rounder in F1), Hamilton(best at wet weather racing), Button, Vettel(best qualifier) and Kubica it is a very strong field. I would chuck in Massa and Webber, but good as they are on occasions I don't think they are championship material. I think Kubica if he gets a good car could be.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2812357)   #29
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I've always had this really weird idea (that's probably not even a proper idea) that with ALL this technology in this day and age, could they not conduct a little experiment using any driver data they received?

Could you not, theoretically, using data from 2 different drivers, simulate them driving eachothers car round the same track? I know this sounds really complicated, and it is, and i'm not sure if it could be done...

Say you have Alonso, and Prost, round Monaco. Surely we have enough technology to simulate a lap in eachothers cars? (Again, I could just be going mental...)

Selby
Old 7 Jan 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2812491)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nice idea selby!

For my money, the best period for 'field's was probably the early 80's for top line drivers - there were well over a dozen drivers who had either won titles or races, plus a further handful who were clearly coming men and the racing was unbelievably open.

The mid to late 80's was when the TV really took off and made the big drivers proper 'name' drivers outside of motorsport whereas that only befel a small selection previously and that was also the time of massive entries which gave loads more drivers the chance to race an F1 car.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2812507)   #31
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Imagine seeing the footage - that'd be SO awesome. They surely have the technology to try this, right?

I know it won't be 100% accurate, cos that would just be impossible, but for a bit of fun, it could give us some clues at least, as to who could skillfully manage one of the older cars, as well as a newer car.

I also had a thought about why not try the drivers out in simulators to see the genuine skill, but I then quickly realised the current drivers would have such an advantage being younger and fully used to operating a simulator.

Selby