Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jul 2000, 18:42 (Ref:25282)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR has just revealed that Jacques Villeneuve has signed a 3 year deal to remain with the F1 team.

Craig Pollock said - "We are absolutely delighted with Jacques' decision and the fact he has registered a significant vote of confidence in British American Racing. Jacques has been an integral part of the team since its formation two years ago, and his commitment to stay indicates he shares our belief that this is an organization with which he can win races, and ultimately theWorld Championship, in the future."

I am a little surprised that Villeneuve signed a 3 year deal. I think most of us were expecting him to sign on for a 1 year deal. Next year there would be a number of seats open with some big teams.

But, then, maybe Jacques knows something that we don't. Perhaps Honda is going to buy the team and take it over in the same way that Jaguar took over Stewart and BMW is taking over Williams. The Honda engine has been quite good, and with a good chasis, it might prove to be a contender with McLaren and Ferrari in 2001.
Old 24 Jul 2000, 18:44 (Ref:25284)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I didn't expect that either. I thought he'd stay for a year, then go to Renault or something.
I wouldn't say BMW are taking over Williams - what makes you think they are?
Old 24 Jul 2000, 20:10 (Ref:25303)   #3
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It shocked me too, I knew he would re-sign but a three year deal, I never expected. But BAR are becoming very competitive and they will be up there in 2001.

And the BMW Williams thing, couldn't you mean Mercedes Mclaren, Daimler Chrysler does own about 40% of McLaren.
Old 24 Jul 2000, 23:49 (Ref:25348)   #4
f1ciamp
Rookie

f1ciamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I WAS AMAZED TO READ THAT JV SIGNED FOR THREE YEARS, IF HE DID, IT MEANS THAT BAR ARE GOING TO PULL SOME TRICK OUT OF THE HAT IN THE NEXT YEAR OR TWO, AND WILL OBVIESLY BE VERY COMPETITEV, THE NEXT FEW YEARS AS I SEAD ALREDY ONCE WE WILL SEE A LOT OF SHOW IN FORMULA 1 BECAUSE IT WONT BE JUST FERRARI AND MCLAREN BUT A HOLE BUNCH OF TEAMS (BAR,HONDA-BMW,WILLIAMS-JORDAN,HONDA?-FORD-JAGUAR?-VW GROOP TO BUY PROST 4FOR ONLY 48 MILL. AND FINALY TOYOTA COMING IN BIG TIME, WONDER HAU THER CAR LOOKS LIKE, ANY PICS?) UP THER FAIGTING FOR POINTS WITH THER TEETH I THINK FORMULA 1 IS STARTING TO GET REALY EXITING!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 Jul 2000, 23:55 (Ref:25353)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The full story from Planet F1:

Villeneuve sticks with BAR
Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve has
re-signed for British American Racing for a further
three years.

The Canadian, who had been tipped to make a
£20million switch to Benetton, has ended weeks of
speculation about his future by keeping faith with the
Honda-powered outfit.

Villeneuve could be joined at BAR next season by
Jenson Button with Williams expected soon to confirm
that the young Brit is being replaced by Champ Car
star Juan Pablo Montoya.

Villeneuve's new three-year deal - reputedly worth
£25million - is a massive boost to the Brackley-based
team which failed to score a point in its debut season
last year.

"It was a difficult decision, but I am happy to stay with
the team after two years of hard work," said the 1997
champion, who has finished fourth in the last two
races.

"It is rewarding to see progress. I would like to
continue with the team and to continue with that
progress."

Managing director Craig Pollock said: "We are
absolutely delighted with Jacques' decision and the
fact he has registered a significant vote of confidence
in British American Racing.

"Jacques has been an integral part of the team since
its formation two years ago, and his commitment to
stay indicates that he shares our belief that this is an
organisation with which he can win races, and
ultimately the World Championship, in the future."

Villeneuve's recent fourth place finish has helped the
team to fifth in the manufacturers' championship this
season with 12 points, one point ahead of Jordan -
who will also be powered by Honda next year.

BAR, which is funded by around £40million a year by
British American Tobacco, did not confirm Ricardo
Zonta as their second driver for 2001.

The Brazilian could be released - Arrows are one of the
favourites for his signature - with Button being lined up
as a replacement.

Button's other options will be Benetton - who are set to
ditch struggling Austrian Alexander Wurz - and Jordan,
if they lose Jarno Trulli to Benetton.

I too was shocked by this. I thought he would sign a one year extension to his contract. Something tells me this means BAR will be bought out before JV leaves.
Old 24 Jul 2000, 23:58 (Ref:25355)   #6
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sticky caps-lock key?

Toyota hope to have their first Formula 1 car testing soon, (hopefully before March 2002!). Last I heard Toyota was using a G-T One to test possible parts, although I was looking I couldn't find any pics of these G-T ones.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 01:38 (Ref:25403)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I am just as surprised as you guys are. Maybe there is a clause in his contract that we don't know about. I suspect that if the BAR does not perform to expectations next year, Jacques would be able to bale out of his 3 year contract. Having said that, I was always a firm believer that Honda did not come into F1 just for the hell of it. They are in it to win. Expect to see Jacques on teh podium before the end of the year, and I expect a win early next year.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 02:01 (Ref:25413)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Valve Bounce, I think you're being optimistic-I doubt that a win is in the cards soon. Ralfie we get his first win long before JV is back on the top step again. I do think that this is a huge surprise-and unless Honda buys out BAT wholly, I think Jacques will soon regret his presumption of signing for three years.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 02:04 (Ref:25417)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably just drivetrain testing, Mr S. Nothing spectacular from the outside probably. Maybe removed front hood and some kinds of provisory sidepods for radiator\heat behavior testing. Engine, gearbox, cluctch configurations. If they're at that stage maybe rear suspension. If they are, there must be some spy-footage around somewhere. They're Cologne based aren't they? So probably testing somewhere in Germany, France or a track like Zolder. Anyone any news on this?

Back to topic: Villeneuve stays at BAR. WOW, not what many of us would have expected I guess. It kind of freezes the Giant Wheel of Silly Season, don't y'all think?
No more teamleaders switching, leaving a seat where others would like to go etc.

What remains are just ordinary replacements. Herbert retires, maybe to CART. Wurz is out at Benetton and no other team will sign him in F1 because of his proportions compromising way to much the design of the car; a disadvantage his speed doesn't gratify. Button is out of a seat and looking around.

Well Jaguar has it's candidates Burti, Franchiti and Button.
Benetton all the drivers ol' fox Flavio has up his sleeve: Trulli, Pizzonia and again Button.
Maybe Zonta gets sacked at BAR; replacement fellow Brazilian Burti for sponsors-sake BAT, Teleglobo etc or else once again young Button.
Maybe Alesi calls it a day at Prost; replacement maybe Panis, although Alain sacked him earlier in favour of his friend Jean; or - he must at least have 1 French driver right? - what about - a personal favourite - Minassian? (No Liz, Muller still doesn't fit the car).

That's about it I guess.

... unless Flavio cashes his Trulli-option, that could stir the lot some more.

Cheers,
Dino.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 02:13 (Ref:25421)   #10
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite suprised. I thought that he had already signed with benetton. I guess that these are good news for Fisico. However I think that there must be a performance clause on his new 3 year contract that would allow him to leave the team if he felt like it.

As for Honda taking over BAR....it's been rumored for quite some time.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 02:17 (Ref:25423)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli is already signed at Jordan for 3 years. No joy there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Panis get the seat at BAR that Zonta (*sigh*) will probably lose - Zonta is under a McLaren contract and may go to them as a test pilote where he would get some badly needed experience out of the public eye...

I'd love to see Muller drive for Jaguar. Let's see Eddie keep up with him! But I predict it will be Button Spice. BAR won't sign him because he might be as fast as Jacques.

Alesi will retire at the end of this year and go to sports cars, but nobody in his right mind wants to go to Prost. Hence I predict Pedro Diniz as the next Prost pilote and maybe Sarazen for the obligatory Frenchman. I see Heidfeld going to Sauber.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 03:12 (Ref:25436)   #12
Unknown Soldier
Racer

Unknown Soldier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well three years doesn't really surprise me here. Honda has a proven track record of building great engines and winning. The engine will get better and with improvements to be made to the chassis Villeneuve will be more competitive sooner then later.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 03:40 (Ref:25444)   #13
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is this Muller who is faster than Irvine and has BAR so afraid on JV's behalf? Is he the British Touring Car chappie who's teamate(s) are under team orders not to beat him?

Jacques must be trembling in his driving shoes. Unless this is another fantasy like Barichello besting MS.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 16:14 (Ref:25545)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
When I think about it, Jacques may know what he is doing. BAR have gotten much better as the season has progressed. Know they are almost (not quite) on par with Williams.

I think that Jacques does have a chance at a podium this year, however it will undoubtably come at the expense of 2 McLaren or Ferrari drivers.

I think that you might see BAR take a win next year. Even though Honda have not taken over the team yet, they are certainly getting more involved, and have even lent their engineers to the team. I don't think it would be too far off to say that next year BAR will be just off the McLarens and Ferraris.

BMW started out well, but unlike BAR they have made 0 improvements this year. I would expect BWM to be just behind BAR next year.
Old 25 Jul 2000, 17:02 (Ref:25547)   #15
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With that red dot (Lucky Strike) it already looks like a Honda. With the chassis development aswell as the engine, its as good as a Honda already. Looks to me like Jacques has made a good decision, besides who wants to work for that Flav bloke (wouldmn't trust him as far as I could dribble).
Old 25 Jul 2000, 17:48 (Ref:25562)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy2
Who is this Muller who is faster than Irvine and has BAR so afraid on JV's behalf? Is he the British Touring Car chappie who's teamate(s) are under team orders not to beat him?

Jacques must be trembling in his driving shoes. Unless this is another fantasy like Barichello besting MS.
I think the Muller you're referring to will be Jorg Muller. He was supposed to drive for Williams this year, actually. But the BTCC Muller is Yvan Muller, and as far as I know he has no real connections with F1.

Old 25 Jul 2000, 23:49 (Ref:25650)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea of Yvan Muller (BTCC) driving in F1 was a joke that was floated in a thread earlier this year - since a lot of us like his take-no-prisoners style of driving sideways no matter the conditions (not to mention his way with words), we kind of thought he'd liven things up among this bunch of audioanamatronic robots they currently employ. No real chance of his winning a seat in F1 even if he wanted one. *Sigh*

I think Jacques has lost his mind along with his hair. But doubtless he knows more about BAR than I do. So I will wait and see.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 13:36 (Ref:25803)   #18
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that he made the right choice to stay at bar but not for 3 years!!!. If the option for a mclaren or Ferrari drive comes next year, no team will pay villeneuves huge pay check and to buy him out of his contract. It is unlikely that bar will be in a position to win next year, which is a shmae for f1 as Hakkinen is hardly an exciting aponent for schumacher.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 14:26 (Ref:25826)   #19
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Liz: '... his take-no-prisoners style of driving sideways no matter the conditions, we kind of thought he'd liven things up among this bunch of audioanamatronic robots they currently employ.'
Those were the words I was looking for Liz.
Yvan Muller ... a tremendous driver. He would have been a giant in F1 in an era like the seventies.
Get him into CART, he'll be really big fun to watch on any street circuit. Mucho macho
Old 26 Jul 2000, 15:16 (Ref:25865)   #20
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a clue, people. There is no way that Yvan Muller would do well in an open-wheeler. His driving style would make him a perfect fit in a WRCar. Witness Muller's ice racing exploits - there's nobody in this world who could compete with him on the snow and ice.

And the rest of the season, I'm sure he'd apadt to without worry. I say this sighting his occasional off-track excursions in the BTCC, which are caused by some oaf like James Thompson, normally resulting in Muller gaining a place or three!

Back on topic, now. I couldn't believe JV would turn his back on Benetton Renault, but - having said that - the BAR team was formed around him, so with that in mind, I'm glad he's decided to stay on. Let's just hope the team find just that next ounce of speed in the car to make him a genuine threat - not just off the grid...

Liz: Audioanamatronic robots. Isn't Schumacher Snr one of those? Programmed to make mistakes and then blame them on others? Oops, there we go again... Where's SCHIKANE5 when you need her?
Old 28 Jul 2000, 01:28 (Ref:26315)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Robots. They are all ROBOTS! The only hope I have is that before the end of the season DC and Jacques will gang up on TGF and beat him senseless with their handbags.

Oh, wait, he IS senseless.

Never mind. Jacques said in a press conference today that if the team doesn't win next year he will ditch his contract. Paging Nigel Mansell ...
Old 28 Jul 2000, 01:28 (Ref:26317)   #22
Liz
Veteran

P.S. Yvan Muller can drive ANYTHING.
Old 28 Jul 2000, 05:00 (Ref:26360)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I still wonder if JV knows what he is doing. Np reigns as the top team(s) last forevor. The field has gotten closer and closer to the Mcs and Frs all this year, and I wonder if BAR Honda might be the team with the resourses to become on of the nest top teams.

It might sound outrageous, however the pace of BAR is very close to that of the 1996 or even 1997 McLarens. And we all know where they were in 1998.

You never know, things change over the course of an off-season.
Old 28 Jul 2000, 11:19 (Ref:26418)   #24
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Ya know what? Call me crazy (most do), but I think we should give BAR a fair go here. Last year was a different story; Craig Pillock (or Pollock even) deserved to get his head handed to him after all his talk that they'd wipe the floor with the establishment in the team's first year.

This season, however, it's a totally different tale. Now that Honda is onboard and the team is over its initial development stages, I believe that BAR will become a force in the future - sooner rather than later. As JV said himself, "It would be a shame to give up on this dream."

He's right. Had he decided to leave the team, he would be somewhat failing himself, for JV was determined at the beginning of last season to bring this new team up the grid. To walk away from that, I'd see it as more of a 'cop out' than anything else. JV is being loyal to the team that he helped build from the ground up. If the BAR team has it in them to win, JV is the man who will make it happen. Best of luck to him, I say...
Old 28 Jul 2000, 11:24 (Ref:26420)   #25
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
P.S. Yvan Muller can drive ANYTHING.
Don't kid yourself, Liz. He may be able to drive anything, but doing it quickly is another issue. Plato has shown in the last few BTCC rounds that he probably is the faster touring car driver.

Put Muller in a works rally car, as he was rumoured to be doing last season, and I think he'd give Burns and McRae a real complex...

I can prove it, too. Look at Muller's passing moves since he joined the BTCC with Audi, then moved to Vauxhall: most of them have been made while he's somewhat sideways or - better yet - on the grass!!

Now back on topic, people... Does anyone here think JV will be able to win races, even as early as next season?