Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Dec 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2600842)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Mr T. We were hoping you'd turn up.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2607925)   #302
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found some pics of mine the other day of CC3 whilst owned by Dave Streather & Graham Wait (with & without X-Pack).......

Simon
Old 4 Jan 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2607976)   #303
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been busy today just uploaded a Modified Saloon Race from Mallory on youtube, initially led by CC3 but won by CC20.
Can't remember what happened to Graham Wait & Derek Hales, I guess they had a coming together somewhere.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVm8yuFzzfU

Also from memory I don't think Colin Woodcock's Modified Saloon Capri has been mentioned on this thread yet, just wondering if it has any provenance as an ex CC car etc. or is it a mongrel like mine

Simon
Old 4 Jan 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2608105)   #304
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nice images Sarnie, thanks.

Think the Woodcock car/s (IIRC there were possibly 2?) was/were orginally CC built.

ORP may know a bit more about this....

I have a feeling that the first time I was aware of Colin Woodcock running a 3.0 was in either 1986 or 1987 in Modsaloons, which I think was in standard shell (not flared) guise, it may have been even earlier than that. Then I think Gary W also pedalled one after that, not too sure?

There was also 2 Angus's who raced standard shape but modified 3.0's in the early mid 80's; Angus Smith and Angus McKay. The latter I think being the same guy who raced a Bendigo Property sponsored prodsaloon Sierra Cosworth in the early 90's?
Old 4 Jan 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2608145)   #305
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Angus McKay raced with me and Simon in ModProds.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2608422)   #306
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Angus McKay raced with me and Simon in ModProds.
He did that as well? thanks for info Al. Can you recall whether it was still with a Capri, or the same one he ran in modsaloons?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2608848)   #307
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Going OT momentarily, I posted something about Capri's in the 1:18 Diecast thread in Armchair about a limited edition road car MK3 produced by Norev.

Wonder if any modelling enthusiasts would be tempted in buying one or two and converting them to Spice Tricentrol/Spa or Woodman Esso racing liveries?!!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2609120)   #308
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe a Woodcock Capri got sold to Dave Thomas, used in Masters and recently for sale,

http://www.themastersseries.com/sale-and-hire.html
Old 7 Jan 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2609766)   #309
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
I believe a Woodcock Capri got sold to Dave Thomas, used in Masters and recently for sale,

http://www.themastersseries.com/sale-and-hire.html
Yes, Dave mentioned as such in the chassis archive thread, which I should have noticed before my relevant post in here!! Sorry for the faux pass folks!

Dave thinks that this car, which went from Spice to Chatfield (who had an ex Woodman car at the same time...) to Woodcock to Thomas (think that is the chronology!!) may have been CC10, or at least one of the earlier Spice cars but the chassis plate is missing.

However I suspect that that the car Chatfield bought was likely one of the latter Spice cars from 1982 (which would definitely have been a new build for the '82 season). From memory it still had the shell/mirror decals on it when he raced it in the 1985/86 Trimoco series?

This might suggest that the Woodcock car that Dave bought was an earlier ex Spice machine.....

Going to be hard to verify these missing chassis numbers I reckon?
Old 21 Jan 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2616869)   #310
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Came across a clip on YT featuring modsaloons from 1991 at Mallory?

Good dust up between a couple of Capris and Rovers, including what looks like the ex Allam CC3 which ended up in Graham Wait's hands that we discussed recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVm8yuFzzfU

The link caption says 'won by Peter Winstone in an ex Vince Woodman Esso Capri'

Would that be CC20 in hands of one of many latter owners, prior to its full restoration by any chance?

Also quite a few in this vid from Brands in 1990?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBV3eWM7158

Again looks like the Streather car, possibly before he sold it as it's still beige?

Last edited by chunterer; 21 Jan 2010 at 11:13.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2616912)   #311
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Quote:
Came across a clip on YT featuring modsaloons from 1991 at Mallory?
That be one of mine, did mention it in post #303

CC20 went from Brian Chatfield to Peter Winstone then onto Mike Sarsfield who raced it in the Falken ModProds around 1994-95, think Ric Wood looked after it.

Old 21 Jan 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2617101)   #312
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Sorry Simon, yes you did mention that Mallory link back up the page!!

God, the poor thing looks in a right state in that second pic! the current owner may wince seeing them, even if the car is now back to original, period style.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2619326)   #313
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Sarnie;2616912]That be one of mine, did mention it in post #303

CC20 went from Brian Chatfield to Peter Winstone then onto Mike Sarsfield who raced it in the Falken ModProds around 1994-95, think Ric Wood looked after it.

Interesting pictures Sarnie, that just about covers the various colour scheme's that car has had.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2642511)   #314
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
I see Martyn Jones who posted on the archive thread asking for info on the Ed Shinkel 'Cricket & Co' Capri has done an article on it in the March issue of RetroFord Magazine (also on the front cover).
Great article and pics, still exactly as it was when last used trying to qualify for the 1986 Spa 24hrs, still to be confirmed as a CC car though.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2642703)   #315
AdeV
Rookie

AdeV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, it's been a while since I've looked at this thread - and a whole stack of new photos and videos have turned up!

I may no longer own CC3, but I surely hope she gets the restoration she deserves - the pics can't help but improve her chances... Which reminds me, I must prod the new owner into logging in here...
Old 5 Mar 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2645426)   #316
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnie View Post
I see Martyn Jones who posted on the archive thread asking for info on the Ed Shinkel 'Cricket & Co' Capri......

... still to be confirmed as a CC car though.
Interesting, I suspect it is/was. I am hoping we'll get some more info from one of the men behind CC sometime soon. He is certainly going to have a look at our threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeV View Post
Wow, it's been a while since I've looked at this thread - and a whole stack of new photos and videos have turned up!

I may no longer own CC3, but I surely hope she gets the restoration she deserves - the pics can't help but improve her chances... Which reminds me, I must prod the new owner into logging in here...
Yes that would be nice Ade, good to see you still posting too!!

Onto another question everyone: I was viewing an 1984 Trimoco review clip and in the collection area prior to the Good Friday Outlon race, Mike Newman (then Capri mounted) was seen deep in conversation with Andy Rouse....

It's led me to wonder if Mike might have bought his car from Andy at the end of 1982 before he started running such a car in 1983.....

Rouse was selling an ex Vince Woodman and CS-H car he owned/prepared sometime around then. He also sold a car to a rally driver around 1984 as well according to Annauto back along in the thread.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2646060)   #317
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Something from an album of pics that Jesper posted a link to elsewhere- CS-H's Capri at Macau in '84
http://www.fotop.net/Reis/Reis36/1983_04

Another pic showing the start- several Capris in evidence...
http://www.fotop.net/Reis/Reis36/1983_Start

...and another
http://www.fotop.net/Reis/Reis36/83_Capri_001

Last edited by KA; 6 Mar 2010 at 12:49.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2646164)   #318
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
The caption here says the drivers are Michael Loo and somebody with a very traditional Chinese firstname... they're last name is 'Fu' though.

... the missus can speak and read Chinese
Old 6 Mar 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2646199)   #319
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Something from an album of pics that Jesper posted a link to elsewhere- CS-H's Capri at Macau in '84

Another pic showing the start- several Capris in evidence...

...and another
http://www.fotop.net/Reis/Reis36/83_Capri_001
Crikey so is that actually CS-H driving the Ebel car in '84?!! I guess it must be as I can't imagine it running in his sponsor logo's unless it was bought very recently and the new owner hadn't had time to change it.....

The other thought being if he had recently offloaded the Rover (to Tim Slako) he may have taken the Capri to Macau to sell on (after all it's unlikely it would have raced since the 1982 Tricentrol finale?). The presence of other Capris of various vintages suggests others may have done the same in previous years. There's certainly a couple of red cars in these pics, which could well have been ex CC/Spice?

Last edited by chunterer; 6 Mar 2010 at 18:03.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2646217)   #320
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a note that says - (1981) Andy Rouse Engineering, 2 cars - one for Charles Sawyer-Hoare and one for Andy Rouse. In 1982 one was converted to GpA and was 4th overall??...(sorry no details!!) with drivers John Brindley/CS-H/ (Adrian Fu). Is it possible these are the two ARE cars that found their way to Macau in 84?
Old 6 Mar 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2646227)   #321
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Crikey so is that actually CS-H driving the Ebel car in '84?!! I guess it must be as I can't imagine it running in his sponsor logo's unless it was bought very recently and the new owner hadn't had time to change it.....

The other thought being if he had recently offloaded the Rover (to Tim Slako) he may have taken the Capri to Macau to sell on (after all it's unlikely it would have raced since the 1982 Tricentrol finale?). The presence of other Capris of various vintages suggests others may have done the same in previous years. There's certainly a couple of red cars in these pics, which could well have been ex CC/Spice?
Just looked at those again and noticed the discrepancy between the captions, which say '84, and the links, which seem to say '83...

Can't track down complete results for either, and no mention of CS-H
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...3%20Macau.html
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...4%20Macau.html

Taking another look at the pic of the start, that's the CS-H Capri on the left of the pic, angled towards the camera- looks as if he was trying to get the jump on the Schnitzer 635...
If it's 84, then presumably a couple of big black XJSs have already gone out of camera...?

Can't be earlier than '83 as we've got a pair of Schnitzer 635s, which weren't around in '82.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2646494)   #322
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Taking another look at the pic of the start, that's the CS-H Capri on the left of the pic, angled towards the camera- looks as if he was trying to get the jump on the Schnitzer 635...
If it's 84, then presumably a couple of big black XJSs have already gone out of camera...?

Can't be earlier than '83 as we've got a pair of Schnitzer 635s, which weren't around in '82.
Quite sure this pictures is the start of the 1983 Guia race. Wonder if the Capris were in Group 1 trim for this race as I don't see much reason for modifying the cars to Group A for one race only.

This is the 1984 start: http://www.fotop.net/Reis/Reis36/10a_Jaguar
No Capris close to the Marlboro 635, but plenty of Toyota Corollas and this was the only time the Jags were in Macau.

Jesper
Old 7 Mar 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2646510)   #323
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Quite sure this pictures is the start of the 1983 Guia race. Wonder if the Capris were in Group 1 trim for this race as I don't see much reason for modifying the cars to Group A for one race only.

No Capris close to the Marlboro 635, but plenty of Toyota Corollas and this was the only time the Jags were in Macau.

Jesper
So P Morris backed the Schnitzer cars in '83 as well as '84 then? If that's the case then the CS-H car running in '83 certainly makes more sense.

I suspct that whoever was in it at Macau, that car would've been in Group A spec, as that's how it was at the '82 TT that ORP referrred to earlier. Need to check the '82 Tricentrol results, but was that car actually at the final round in October? if so it would've been converted back to G1 trim after the TT and then back to GA for the Guia race in '83. (unless of course Sawyer-Hoare still had both the cars at Rouse's workshops after '81). Hmmm.....
Old 7 Mar 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2646571)   #324
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I suspct that whoever was in it at Macau, that car would've been in Group A spec, as that's how it was at the '82 TT that ORP referrred to earlier. Need to check the '82 Tricentrol results, but was that car actually at the final round in October? if so it would've been converted back to G1 trim after the TT and then back to GA for the Guia race in '83. (unless of course Sawyer-Hoare still had both the cars at Rouse's workshops after '81). Hmmm.....
Didn't realise that Sawyer-Hoare raced the '82 TT, but found the relevant report which says the didn't run to full Group A spec as it was running drums on the rear rather than discs. CS-H did run at the final round of the 1982 BSCC at Silverstone, so by then the car was in full Group 1 spec including the mandatory Tricentrol stickers as seen in the '83 Guia race:

The CS-H car and the other British Capris could well have run to Group A regulations at Macau in 1983, but what kind of regulations were used for the South East Asian competitors at the time? The Japanese only went Group A in 1985.

Jesper
Old 7 Mar 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2646592)   #325
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post

Jesper
Thanks Jesper- you've confirmed what I was suspecting- I'd picked up the lack of Jags in the '83 start pic, but hadn't looked closely at the '84 start pic and considered the Corollas....In that case, I think we can safely go with the links and say all of the Capri pics are '83- the two cars in http://www.fotop.net/Reis/Reis36/83_Capri_001 look to be visible in the background of the '83 start shot

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman