Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Oct 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1725346)   #151
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The very same but I thought it fitted better with this thread!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1725360)   #152
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!

I had a look, it's great isn't it! There's 5 or 6 of the things in the same shot at certain points of the clip!

Fabulous
Old 15 Oct 2006, 23:34 (Ref:1738802)   #153
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys i just got to let you know that the emerling bmw had a very very bad shut yesterday and has been almost killed. The floor is bent and the side impact bars have been pushed into the seat moving simon with it. She is not pretty at all and the westfield that found the side of the bmw is gone.

I have pics that i will post later.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1738826)   #154
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds pretty nasty, was Simon OK?
Old 19 Oct 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1742543)   #155
Bown
Rookie

Bown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 series 30th birthday bash!

That sounds awful about the Emmerling 6. I hope car and driver will mend quickly. On a more positive note, please follow the link http://www.bowdensown.com.au/events.html and scroll down until you see the piece about "Sharkfest". Bit of a must do for Aussie 6 series freaks!
Old 19 Oct 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1742547)   #156
Bown
Rookie

Bown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes, great thread! This is just the tonic to get off my butt and get excited about all things 6 series!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1769491)   #157
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Don't remember whether this one's been mentioned before, but thanks to GTR Magic who found this- the link was originally posted on the Aussie GroupC/A 'Where are they now' thread:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...Works_Car.html
Old 19 Nov 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1769496)   #158
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
...and another from the same site.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewlisting.php?view=3865

Can we match either of these with the chassis numbers we've mentioned so far in this thread?
Old 11 Dec 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1788000)   #159
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As promised at the beginning of the thread, I just wanted to post an old image of a glorious CC Motorsport BMW GB BTCC 635 from 1984. I think it's the spare ex Eggenberger car as it has no numbers on it. I had hoped to post the Weaver car that he'd shunted at the meeting but it's on a trailer and not particularly good focus i'm afraid!
Attached Thumbnails
CC 635 Spare 84.jpg  
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1830021)   #160
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I seem to recall plans afoot last Autumn for a few of us to 'nominate' someone to kick off the chassis list in the chassis archive. Problem is the thresad went quiet and then xmas arrived! The archive thread still generally mirrors this thread.

KA, ian beckett me and John T were perhaps likely to monitor this with a couple of our Austalian members best placed to 'legitimise' cars that appeared over there.

Can we have a few ideas on how to proceed and by whom?
Old 31 Jan 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1830049)   #161
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I seem to recall plans afoot last Autumn for a few of us to 'nominate' someone to kick off the chassis list in the chassis archive. Problem is the thresad went quiet and then xmas arrived! The archive thread still generally mirrors this thread.

KA, ian beckett me and John T were perhaps likely to monitor this with a couple of our Austalian members best placed to 'legitimise' cars that appeared over there.

Can we have a few ideas on how to proceed and by whom?
I did start going through the thread and trying to match up the histories individual cars mentioned with the chassis numbers that Ian posted- I'll have another look at it and post the first part on here later today. If people can add to/correct/shoot it down in flames as appropriate, then once we think we're pretty accurate idea, John can transfer it to the chassis number archive
Old 31 Jan 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1830068)   #162
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I did start going through the thread and trying to match up the histories individual cars mentioned with the chassis numbers that Ian posted- I'll have another look at it and post the first part on here later today. If people can add to/correct/shoot it down in flames as appropriate, then once we think we're pretty accurate idea, John can transfer it to the chassis number archive
KA, you da man!!

Yes I have had a bit of a look myself but got myself in a muddle! Thanks for your efforts. In this way we can get something up and running which can be a focal point. As further discussion emerges on here we can add it to the bones of the chassis list as appropriate.

I'm quite interested in the CC GB cars because as has been posted, they were given their own CC build numbers as well as BMW factory ones. This might be worth a spin off thread because the CC Capri thread which was proving quite difficult to get concrete info on as well. A CC chassis build thread would kind of link the two and might give us chassis info on cars other than the Capri's and BMW's such as one offs, the Belga Mustang/s and the Grp C Tiga Lamborghini thing.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1830126)   #163
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that would be great. I needed to update the archive with these recent posts anyway, so a summary of where we are with them would be excellent.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1830157)   #164
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Yes I have had a bit of a look myself but got myself in a muddle!
I had the same problem- that's why it's taken so long.... I ended up putting it onto an Excel spreadsheet to try and make sense of it

Quote:
I'm quite interested in the CC GB cars because as has been posted, they were given their own CC build numbers as well as BMW factory ones. This might be worth a spin off thread because the CC Capri thread which was proving quite difficult to get concrete info on as well. A CC chassis build thread would kind of link the two and might give us chassis info on cars other than the Capri's and BMW's such as one offs, the Belga Mustang/s and the Grp C Tiga Lamborghini thing.
Haven't looked at my list yet but I think the CC cars were one of the problems, because as you said, they had dual chassis numbers (BMW & CC) and because I don't think we ever established which specific car Mike Newman bought.

A 'CC' thread might be worth a try- particularly if anyone on Tenths just happens to know someone who is ex-CC...
Old 31 Jan 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1830169)   #165
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

ian has had correspondance form Dave Cook and I had a conversation with him in 2002 about the Capri's. Unfortunately I might have a problem locating his number to try and entice him on here as it was scribbled down on an A4 pad!

So there is hope!

Last edited by chunterer; 2 Feb 2007 at 16:01. Reason: For reference, the CC Capri thread has now been modified for general discussion about the various projects the company took on including touring cars and the little known Grp C Lamborghini effort.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1830296)   #166
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a weird one !

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-24-050.jpg
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:23 (Ref:1830358)   #167
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Crikey, yes it is!

Ooh dear where was that monstrosity racing and when?!
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1830379)   #168
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
see it on http://www.racingsportscars.com/
in 1986 at Jyllandsringen
Old 7 Feb 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1835362)   #169
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's an interesting one that popped up for sale today down under.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...W_635_csi.html
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1835384)   #170
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Indeed!

Bet there aren't many that have been 'downgraded.'

Possibly an ex Sytner car I wonder?
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1835396)   #171
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, a very bizarre thing to do to a car with provenence like this really... unless of course it was done around the time.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1835403)   #172
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that there was Grp N spec car in that region some years ago but I haven't found the post with a quick look. Could be the same one.

Well at least we've got another one for the eventual chassis list!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1835443)   #173
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that there was Grp N spec car in that region some years ago but I haven't found the post with a quick look. Could be the same one.

Well at least we've got another one for the eventual chassis list!
The advert gives the chassis number as RA2/46. Just taken a look at the notes I'd made from the thread to put together a chassis list (which I will post sometime- been laid low with the flu all week and not posting much...), and according to those, somewhere back in the thread we talked about the Group N car raced by Barrie Williams, then sold via Frank Sytner to New Zealand and used as a roadcar, then apparently rebuilt to Group A, if I've transcribed the details correctly.

The chassis number given for this was RA2/45, and the current owner as a Gerry Hodges. Looking at the email address in that advert, I ownder if the details posted earlier in the thread were a little garbled, and this is the car in question- the owners' name matches, the chassis number is only one out, and the history broadly matches....
Old 7 Feb 2007, 13:53 (Ref:1835450)   #174
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Indeed, a very bizarre thing to do to a car with provenence like this really... unless of course it was done around the time.
Reading the description in the advert, I think that might be the case-

Ex Works Grp A shell
* Chassis # E24 RA2/46
* Chassis # documented in "BMW 6 Series, Enthusiasts Companion" by Jeremy Walton also documentation from BMW Motorsport
*Chassis # 46 of 49 Works produced shells
* Owned & raced in the UK by Gartlan Grace Racing.
* Initially as a Grp A car then converted to Grp N Production Specs

* Car is in outstanding condition & is used for Classic racing & Targa Tarmac rally events
* Current Motorsport New Zealand Log Book & Certificate of Description
* This is a genuine ex Works car with history in outstanding condition
* A much admired, usable, classic race car

That suggests to me that we could be talking about a Group N car built up around an ex-Group A shell, in the 80's by Gartlan Grace Racing?
Old 8 Feb 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1836206)   #175
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GB Hodges is Gerry Hodges. I've known about this car for years but never thought it would come up for sale. Gerry has used it for tarmac rallies since he bought it.

Tags
atcc, bavaria automobiles, btcc, cc motorsport, dieter quester, dpm, dtm, eggenberger, frank gardner, garage du bac, group a, hans stuck, helmut kelleners, james weaver, jim richards, ravaglia, schnitzer, spa 24 hours, sytner, umberto grano