Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:06 (Ref:4019925)   #401
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't this a classic problem with the rules? Can't test anyone outside of a few days in the year, have to rely on lower formulae to provide rising stars with the result that those that do get to the top are not prepared for the pressure. Add to that the costs involved in just being on the grid thus very few teams are willing to gamble on outsiders. Ultimately RB is now between the rock and hard place because it either picks an established name who will need serious management to avoid upsetting Verstappen, or they keep rotating the Alpha Tauri drivers. Do they have any RB candidates?
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:06 (Ref:4019926)   #402
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would people expect the gap to Max to shrink if Perez got the seat? I have my doubts.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:17 (Ref:4019929)   #403
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Would people expect the gap to Max to shrink if Perez got the seat? I have my doubts.
Yes, I do think so. Albon has had an awful season - and I doubt many would disagree. Not only the gap to Max, but also the mistakes and poor race performances. I would fully expect that Perez or Hulkenburg would do much better, even if there ultimately remains a gap to Verstappen.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:24 (Ref:4019934)   #404
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a better and/or more experienced team mate may even push Max to a new level.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:56 (Ref:4019947)   #405
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Once he gets up to speed. Yes. How close he can get is another question. Do you think it will grow? I would argue that Perez is outpacing Albon in a lesser car today.

Richard
Old 1 Dec 2020, 15:58 (Ref:4019948)   #406
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Yes, I do think so. Albon has had an awful season - and I doubt many would disagree. Not only the gap to Max, but also the mistakes and poor race performances. I would fully expect that Perez or Hulkenburg would do much better, even if there ultimately remains a gap to Verstappen.
The mistakes granted, I think Perez would remove that element.

But is Perez necessarily going to be comfortable with the car? If not, then what? He got a rep at McLaren for poor work ethic and attitude in adversity which it would seem is the sticking point for a certain Pierre Gasly's return to the fold.

I actually have a hunch that Hulkenberg would be the better fit.

Crazy that the school of talent is in a position where it is choosing between Perez and Hulk but there we are.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:10 (Ref:4019952)   #407
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Once he gets up to speed. Yes. How close he can get is another question. Do you think it will grow? I would argue that Perez is outpacing Albon in a lesser car today.

Richard
Perez is definitely doing a better job in a lesser car. I can't argue with that.

But then Albon was doing a better job than Gasly in a Toro Rosso. And vice versa.

You don't just plug a driver in and away he goes unfortunately.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:14 (Ref:4019957)   #408
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I entirely agree. Both Perez and Hulk have the benefit of way more experience.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:27 (Ref:4019958)   #409
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He's currently 9th in the WDC, with 85 points. His best results are two 3rd place podiums in Mugello and Bahrain. His worst result was 15th at Monza and Imola, with one retirement in Germany.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 18:49 (Ref:4019978)   #410
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Considering Albon’s free practice crash, he bounced back to have a solid result and was rewarded with a fortunate podium, although there will still be questions due to him not being closer to Max
Old 1 Dec 2020, 19:08 (Ref:4019985)   #411
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Considering Albon’s free practice crash, he bounced back to have a solid result and was rewarded with a fortunate podium, although there will still be questions due to him not being closer to Max
Yep, the same questions we've been asking for 410 posts....
Old 1 Dec 2020, 20:05 (Ref:4020002)   #412
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
But he is still there, not sure why but someone must like him
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:45 (Ref:4020019)   #413
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He's currently 9th in the WDC, with 85 points. His best results are two 3rd place podiums in Mugello and Bahrain. His worst result was 15th at Monza and Imola, with one retirement in Germany.
Up until Turkey, Max's worst result was 3rd.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:46 (Ref:4020021)   #414
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The mistakes granted, I think Perez would remove that element.

But is Perez necessarily going to be comfortable with the car? If not, then what? He got a rep at McLaren for poor work ethic and attitude in adversity which it would seem is the sticking point for a certain Pierre Gasly's return to the fold.

I actually have a hunch that Hulkenberg would be the better fit.

Crazy that the school of talent is in a position where it is choosing between Perez and Hulk but there we are.
Agree that Hulk is a better fit but Perez's McLaren stint was 7yrs ago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
But he is still there, not sure why but someone must like him
Albon's location checks out..
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:53 (Ref:4020025)   #415
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Up until Turkey, Max's worst result was 3rd.
There you go, it shows the big gap between Max and Albon.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:58 (Ref:4020028)   #416
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The big question is: who do Red Bull want in the second seat. Someone to challenge Max or backup Max? More likely the latter, so you’d have to say that maybe that’s why they’ve kept Albon. They know he won’t challenge Max and can also experiment strategies to help Max too
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:05 (Ref:4020030)   #417
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Agree that Hulk is a better fit but Perez's McLaren stint was 7yrs ago..
Fair point and Mclaren were a bit of shambles at the time so maybe we can let him off there.

But there were also issues with Ocon at Force India, much more recently.

On the other hand, he seems to get along fine with more placid drivers like Hulk and drivers he can easily beat like Stroll.

So if he beats Max and one of them has a personality transplant then all is golden.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 02:11 (Ref:4020075)   #418
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Fair point and Mclaren were a bit of shambles at the time so maybe we can let him off there.

But there were also issues with Ocon at Force India, much more recently.

On the other hand, he seems to get along fine with more placid drivers like Hulk and drivers he can easily beat like Stroll.

So if he beats Max and one of them has a personality transplant then all is golden.
I always felt Perez got the rough end of the stick in '13. The car was pants that year and he often matched or beat Button. Perez was very keen to impress and was a bit over aggressive which created the opposite effect on the team at times!
Since then he's done a tremendous job in 2nd division equipment and piled up the experience and points.

Like you though I wonder whether Checo, or any other 'deserving' driver would do much better against Max.

The car is a bit of a pain but suits his driving. It has an odd tendency to swap ends leaving corners no matter how much or how little throttle is applied. Albon hasn't got on very well with it but even Max has found it hard work.
Would RB really want any other driver to develop a car differently from Max, even if it makes it more 'plyable'?
Old 2 Dec 2020, 10:10 (Ref:4020128)   #419
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The big question is: who do Red Bull want in the second seat. Someone to challenge Max or backup Max? More likely the latter, so you’d have to say that maybe that’s why they’ve kept Albon. They know he won’t challenge Max and can also experiment strategies to help Max too
Albon is neither challenging Max, nor is he backing up Max.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 17:46 (Ref:4020216)   #420
S griffin
Veteran

They must like using him as a guinea pig though
Old 6 Dec 2020, 05:22 (Ref:4020893)   #421
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot see how Albon will survive st Red Bull next season. Misses out on the top ten while his teammate misses pole by 0.05 seconds. Overall, his season performance has not been up to par. When the music stops I suspect he will be left without a seat.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 10:35 (Ref:4020911)   #422
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Why are red bull waiting? The writing on the wall is beginning to fade
Old 6 Dec 2020, 10:45 (Ref:4020916)   #423
S griffin
Veteran

The noises I hear is that he will be staying after all. But yesterday’s performance will hardly help matters.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 10:47 (Ref:4020917)   #424
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Why are red bull waiting? The writing on the wall is beginning to fade
Why rush? They have 2 free agents in Perez and Hulkenberg. Might as well let Alex wait out the season and then evaluate it.

I suspect there’s a lot going on in the background too. If the rumours are to be believed from Sky, then Max camp wants Hulk, Red Bull want Perez so no doubt there’s some negotiating going on somewhere
Old 6 Dec 2020, 11:25 (Ref:4020925)   #425
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Why rush? They have 2 free agents in Perez and Hulkenberg. Might as well let Alex wait out the season and then evaluate it.

I suspect there’s a lot going on in the background too. If the rumours are to be believed from Sky, then Max camp wants Hulk, Red Bull want Perez so no doubt there’s some negotiating going on somewhere
Crikey mustn't upset Max? He'll be off!

Where would he go though?!

Besides what will RB have to offer him anyway?
Closed Thread