Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Nov 2020, 22:58 (Ref:4018100)   #176
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It seems that Audi and other VAG marques favor European or international programs. It's also been rumored/insinuated that Audi Sport and Audi of America backed off on NA GT racing in IMSA after Brad Kettler left--or maybe Brad left because of the reduction in commitment?
Old 21 Nov 2020, 00:00 (Ref:4018106)   #177
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's the car that wins, period. Every time RLM talked about it, they pointed out the thought behind the expected moves to the NSX was it wins. Lamborghini was big a couple years ago after they won and had multiple cars. MSR has been doing well with the NSX and multiple people have said it's easy for gentleman drivers to do well in. So it sells. It's as simple as that. Otherwise it is what the team knows, Wright knows Porsches, Grasser knows Lamborghini, Scuderia Corse knows Ferrari. Magnus moved because GRT runs Lamborghini and he wants to try the NSX. There's no support or other change behind the scenes, it's the winning car with rave reviews.

Bentley wasn't going to be run sadly as the team would have had to pony up the manufacturer fee, or try to get the discount for Sprint Cup like Compass did with McLaren. Bentley as a group wants to be in top class of the series. And after their electrification announcement I don't think we'll see them stateside with a LMDh until top GT series are electric only.
Old 24 Nov 2020, 13:39 (Ref:4018529)   #178
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know that LMP2 and LMP3 car counts in IMSA are exploding right now. Forgive me if I am not a fan on this. It just brings numbers up. Quality and appeal not so much since both are semi-spec categories. I never liked pro-am prototype classes. Would prefer all of these teams to go to GTD instead. But I can understand the $$$ factor. Maybe speed factor too. Still not looking forward to it much other than to see how the GTLM cars interact with them. LMP2 might overall be a little slower in 2021. IMSA will probably give P2 and P3 short fuel capacities. I can see them having to stop every 35-40 minutes whereas GTLM can go up to 60 minutes on fuel every rotation.
Old 24 Nov 2020, 13:42 (Ref:4018530)   #179
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It's the car that wins, period. Every time RLM talked about it, they pointed out the thought behind the expected moves to the NSX was it wins. Lamborghini was big a couple years ago after they won and had multiple cars. MSR has been doing well with the NSX and multiple people have said it's easy for gentleman drivers to do well in. So it sells. It's as simple as that. Otherwise it is what the team knows, Wright knows Porsches, Grasser knows Lamborghini, Scuderia Corse knows Ferrari. Magnus moved because GRT runs Lamborghini and he wants to try the NSX. There's no support or other change behind the scenes, it's the winning car with rave reviews.

Bentley wasn't going to be run sadly as the team would have had to pony up the manufacturer fee, or try to get the discount for Sprint Cup like Compass did with McLaren. Bentley as a group wants to be in top class of the series. And after their electrification announcement I don't think we'll see them stateside with a LMDh until top GT series are electric only.
A KPax Bentley effort could find IMSA appealing if there were more than 2 all GT races but the grid numbers just don't support that right now. GTLM is shrinking. GT3 is stable but not growing. A cup/challenge class, like ALMS GTC or 2014-15 GTD or a GT4+ could be considered one day perhaps? GTD as we know it today started in 2016. Before that it was GT cup cars and de-tuned GT3 cars.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 23:31 (Ref:4018779)   #180
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
No more AIM Vasser Sullivan in 2021

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/im...g-se-separent/
Old 26 Nov 2020, 00:50 (Ref:4018785)   #181
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
No more AIM Vasser Sullivan in 2021

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/im...g-se-separent/
I think the Vasser team is going to go at it alone with the Lexus GTD cars. Hope they change their paint scheme. Never liked the bright yellow. The red and blue livery seen from the Gentalozzi team and the GT WC Lexus in the past are better.
Old 26 Nov 2020, 03:09 (Ref:4018794)   #182
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only change is the separation of AIM from Vasser Sullivan. Vasser Sullivan had the Lexus deal and used AIM for trackside services and team. They have a deal with Lexus for 2021 as well. The livery will depend on who's on the car and what Lexus wants.

AIM is looking at a GT4 Supra program for Pilot Challenge and have placed a car on hold pending a program.

Vasser Sullivan have always used someone for the operations side, AIM in IMSA and Dale Coyne in Indy. I'd assume they will be pursuing another team for support rather than build a full team from scratch now with what 60 days until Daytona? But guess they could try to buy the AIM bits and hire anyone who's not under contract to AIM.
Old 26 Nov 2020, 12:43 (Ref:4018837)   #183
WyldStallion
Veteran

motorsport.com speculation here about the Ganassi Cadillac drivers. Kevin Magnussen and Renger Vander Zande.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 13:03 (Ref:4019072)   #184
krzysiek_aleks
Rookie

krzysiek_aleks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another LMP2 at Daytona - Ligier by Rick Ware Racing/Eurasia https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/e...na-lmp2-entry/
Old 27 Nov 2020, 13:45 (Ref:4019078)   #185
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek_aleks View Post
Another LMP2 at Daytona - Ligier by Rick Ware Racing/Eurasia https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/e...na-lmp2-entry/
That is great to see, and it sounds like Ware teaming with more established sports car teams will make this potentially a more secure program than their Riley effort.

Also, this will mean all 3 P2 manufacturers will be present at Daytona.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 14:52 (Ref:4019090)   #186
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
As with many RWR things, it only counts when they actually appear on track.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 15:29 (Ref:4019094)   #187
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
add to that..on track...during a race weekend.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 19:40 (Ref:4019159)   #188
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
add to that..on track...during a race weekend.
Exactly why the teaming up with established teams is a good sign. Daytona is only two months away, lots of pieces need to fall in to place in the short-term to get next season going. With teams coming from Europe, and potential covid related delays, it is probably time to start moving
Old 30 Nov 2020, 03:38 (Ref:4019602)   #189
WyldStallion
Veteran

GTLM grid numbers drop has been the talking point. I think GTD might see a slight drop itself for 2021 now you think? New teams and even existing ones seem to find LMP3 more appealing. Riley, Mulner, and Core have all ran GTD cars in the past but now want to do P3 instead.

2021 will be a good year in IMSA if you like prototypes. However P2 and P3 don't appeal to me at all. I'm more of a GT fan. Can't say I'm too excited about the year ahead. Seeing how P2 (being slowed down by regs) and P3 interact with the remaining GTLMs will be interesting at the endurance races at least. I am quite worried about the grid size for the V.I.R race at this point. Less concerned about Lime Rock since that track is small and even a grid of 15 cars should be fine there.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 14:19 (Ref:4019689)   #190
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really we have had a lower number on the grid than usual and will probably not be a great increase in 2021. It seems less teams are interested and we've lost a bit after a great run. We'll see, I expect the series to continue, but not quite reach the heights of 2 or three years ago.

Still we have reasons to look forward. Hopefully the prototypes can do the job, even if it's a shame to lose a few GTs. I hope we get decent numbers and we get a good grid for Daytona and Sebring obviously. I don't see any reason to be too cynical despite the tough times we are having atm. We still have a good lineup and plenty of great cars to keep it going. And plenty of great tracks in the series too.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 16:16 (Ref:4019707)   #191
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Really we have had a lower number on the grid than usual and will probably not be a great increase in 2021. It seems less teams are interested and we've lost a bit after a great run. We'll see, I expect the series to continue, but not quite reach the heights of 2 or three years ago.

Still we have reasons to look forward. Hopefully the prototypes can do the job, even if it's a shame to lose a few GTs. I hope we get decent numbers and we get a good grid for Daytona and Sebring obviously. I don't see any reason to be too cynical despite the tough times we are having atm. We still have a good lineup and plenty of great cars to keep it going. And plenty of great tracks in the series too.
True that sir. We got spoiled in 2018 and 2019.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 20:02 (Ref:4020001)   #192
WyldStallion
Veteran

S Griffin's optimism might be correct. Out of nowhere a GTD Porsche entry coming from a Pilot Challenge team stepping up:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/t...-with-porsche/

And here is the link to the BMW GT article where they are not committed beyond Daytona at least as of now. But hidden in the article is this nugget:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/b...-gtlm-program/

"However, there have been persistent rumors of the now-independent Vasser Sullivan organization stepping up to the class with its pair of Lexus RC F GT3s, which IMSA could grant national homologation, similar to BMW’s M6 GTLM program in the past."

-Ok I doubt the "persistent rumors" part. This is the first time I heard anybody mention it. Although it would be welcome though. The Lexus is a car capable of being upgraded I think.

-If nothing else I hope BMW can do Daytona, Sebring, VIR, and Lime Rock.

-Corvette C8R I imagine will be grandfathered in to a rumored GTD pro in 2022, and then BoP'd. Perhaps by 2024 they can get a GT3 homologated version of the car. But if the ACO/WEC keeps GTE. The grandfathering could continue.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 01:48 (Ref:4020069)   #193
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I would like to wager the Lexus gtlm rumor was started by sc365, and repeated by sc365, and then finally reported as a persistent rumor by sc365.

The Ferrari p1 is more likely especially considering that class is dead.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 01:53 (Ref:4020072)   #194
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I would like to wager the Lexus gtlm rumor was started by sc365, and repeated by sc365, and then finally reported as a persistent rumor by sc365.

I'm a big S365 fan..but yeah gotta admit thats a funny comment!
Old 2 Dec 2020, 15:47 (Ref:4020184)   #195
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

a lexus LFA with gte specs was actually made and think is still in TMG HQ in germany, it's just toyota that didn't greenlight the program.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 18:22 (Ref:4020228)   #196
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
a lexus LFA with gte specs was actually made and think is still in TMG HQ in germany, it's just toyota that didn't greenlight the program.
Mercifully, Vasser/Sullivan squashed the GTLM rumor quickly. Announced the #14 car of Hawskorth and Telitz is back for 2021.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/v...litz-for-2021/
Old 2 Dec 2020, 20:29 (Ref:4020243)   #197
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Juan Pablo Montoya will drive the Meyer Shank Acura DPi at the four endurance rounds.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/m...p-for-enduros/
Old 2 Dec 2020, 21:47 (Ref:4020251)   #198
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great news, always been a fan of JPM and he really has taken to sportscar racing
Old 2 Dec 2020, 22:13 (Ref:4020254)   #199
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Mercifully, Vasser/Sullivan squashed the GTLM rumor quickly. Announced the #14 car of Hawskorth and Telitz is back for 2021.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/v...litz-for-2021/

you didn't understand... I know that lexus isn't going to compete in gtlm class, I just reported that a lexus LFA with gte specs exists already from years.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 23:24 (Ref:4020268)   #200
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
you didn't understand... I know that lexus isn't going to compete in gtlm class, I just reported that a lexus LFA with gte specs exists already from years.
John Dagys was the one speculating Lexus in GTLM. It was one of those things I did not want to see floating as a rumor. I was hoping it would quickly be confirmed or squashed. It was the later.