Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Jul 2020, 09:04 (Ref:3985252)   #6576
Redshift
Rookie

Redshift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And let me spell this out. You can't compare a four time champion making one mistake under pressure compared to someone who hasn't even stood on a BTCC podium makeing several mistakes under pressure
I can and I did, shoot me for having an opinion.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 09:18 (Ref:3985254)   #6577
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Lets all just look forward to a return to racing, ok it may be not quite what we were hoping for 6 months ago but it will return and we should all be happy.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3985255)   #6578
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Add a VW to the casualty list.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 09:39 (Ref:3985258)   #6579
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Add a VW to the casualty list.
Fuller replaced by Bushell, sure.
Unless that car/Hamilton is going to be absent too? Damn.

I make it so far:
Jordan gone from BMW
Cook gone from BTC
Jackson in strife at PMR
-1 Team HARD VW
Old 3 Jul 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3985275)   #6580
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be Goff out. He normally struggles for budget and he owed money for last years Brands Hatch accident damage.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 11:49 (Ref:3985281)   #6581
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well fingers crossed there are not to many more
Old 3 Jul 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3985291)   #6582
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This is tense times. Hope we still get a decent grid come Donny
Old 3 Jul 2020, 14:41 (Ref:3985320)   #6583
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of companies, with severely reduced marketing budgets will, rightly, be considering what gives the best return on investment. In a lot of cases, I can see racing sponsorship being cut, for other marketing tools that give a better return, and wider exposure to the companies target market demographic.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3985322)   #6584
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly, I suspect they'll be looking at this on a long term basis not just this year. In which case we come to the problem of sustaining the BTCC as it is.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 15:00 (Ref:3985324)   #6585
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think marketing budgets will be under pressure for many years.

It doesn't look good to be spending fortunes on racing, or any other sponsorship, when you're making staff redundant.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3985326)   #6586
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
BTCC has survived financial crisis before. It’s learned from the Super Touring days not to get too expensive. I’m sure it will be back on it’s feet in a couple of years
Old 3 Jul 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3985330)   #6587
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you mean it came back from the brink by making things much cheaper. Which is true. Now I'd suggest that the costs of these current machines is somewhere near where they were with ST.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3985331)   #6588
S griffin
Veteran

They also had a tough time in 09-10, with them losing some big names, but they managed to keep it going before NGTC came in
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3985332)   #6589
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Now I'd suggest that the costs of these current machines is somewhere near where they were with ST.
The true cost never really changes, if you want to win. The top teams have always spent large sums of money, and will continue to do so regardless of the regulations. And more often than not, these will be the teams doing the majority of the winning.

What has changed since the 90s is how much easier it is to be much closer to the pace whilst spending considerably less money. Due to the limitations enforced by the regulations, the stuff the wealthy teams pore their money into is only worth tenths of seconds rather than multiple seconds a lap.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3985333)   #6590
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
In some ways the actual cost is largely irrelevant. The public perception is that any motorsport is expensive, and as mention earlier it's difficult for a company making staff redundant to justify spending money on sponsorship.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:15 (Ref:3985334)   #6591
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
The true cost never really changes, if you want to win. The top teams have always spent large sums of money, and will continue to do so regardless of the regulations. And more often than not, these will be the teams doing the majority of the winning.

What has changed since the 90s is how much easier it is to be much closer to the pace whilst spending considerably less money. Due to the limitations enforced by the regulations, the stuff the wealthy teams pore their money into is only worth tenths of seconds rather than multiple seconds a lap.
What is the true cost if you are spending umpteen 000's on that final tenth? Which is what you suggest the top teams are doing? But if you start from a highly technical and thus costly formula it soon becomes clear that value for money is not high on anyone's radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
In some ways the actual cost is largely irrelevant. The public perception is that any motorsport is expensive, and as mention earlier it's difficult for a company making staff redundant to justify spending money on sponsorship.
Yes racing is expensive and the punters don't care, but the businesses see it as pouring money down a very deep drain if they are also having to deal with the effects of a pandemic and letting personnel go. That is definitely not a good look.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:15 (Ref:3985335)   #6592
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think you mean it came back from the brink by making things much cheaper. Which is true. Now I'd suggest that the costs of these current machines is somewhere near where they were with ST.
you serious?

in ST days the top teams were spending 3-4 million per car per season.

now its only about 10-15% of that
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:18 (Ref:3985336)   #6593
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well I confess it's not that interesting anymore but I'd also suggest the top teams are not far from that.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:22 (Ref:3985337)   #6594
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What is the true cost if you are spending umpteen 000's on that final tenth?
The true cost is however much the top teams can raise. Teams like Dynamics and WSR will spend whatever they can raise in order to win.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3985338)   #6595
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
The true cost is however much the top teams can raise. Teams like Dynamics and WSR will spend whatever they can raise in order to win.
There you go. And it doesn't matter what the technology, they'll spend it. But, if the sponsors can no longer justify it, where then?
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3985339)   #6596
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The days of big sponsorship have be slowly receding into the past, the growth of so many sports all glamouring for sponsorship money and the wealth of different ways products can now be advertised had already taken it's toll. The problems caused by the current situation are just the final straw that will break the backs of many teams, in motorsport and in all other sports. Times are a changing as Bob Dylan used to say.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3985342)   #6597
S griffin
Veteran

The main difference between NGTC and ST is more control over components, which means there is less areas to gain advantage in and meaning we see less of an arms race in development
Old 3 Jul 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3985357)   #6598
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well I confess it's not that interesting anymore but I'd also suggest the top teams are not far from that.
you really think the top teams are not far from spending 3-4 million per car??!!

with respect i really dont know what planet your on
Old 3 Jul 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3985373)   #6599
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A 4-time and reigning champion, in a car that took the constructors' title in it's first season winning 11 races is an underwhelming prospect?
Have you read the whole post or just seen 'underwhelming' word? Yes, a 4-time champion in a car that won 11 races seems underwhelming given his teammate is a guy who hasn't won a race and seemed an odd-one out. As a third driver he was a very good and solid completion of the team but WSR is going to feel lack of AJ badly unless Oliphant steps up significantly.
Jordan and Turkington were a very power-duo and they shared these whopping 11 wins between them. It's a thing that won't be replicated this year. So yes, it will be underwhelming especially comparing to 2019 situation in which there were two top drivers and the third solid one.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3985396)   #6600
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In the early 90's maybe. A 93/94 Mondeo cost around £250k to build, but costs escalated. By 2000 the Prodrive Mondeos cost in the region of £1M each.