Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Nov 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3938119)   #1
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Walter Hayes Trophy 2019

Well, no thread for this as far as I could find which, historically, is unusual.

I suppose everyone that might have been there is in Portugal instead?

Probably a good decision given the weather today.

4 FF heats. (more cars per heat than previous years or fewer entries? I have not tried to total the numbers but they look a little down from memory.)

Not so many on track in the supporting races either.

Unusual or expected or are we just seeing racing interests drifting off towards other options?

Or have I misread the numbers and the situation? (Lack of an existing thread here suggests maybe not?)
Old 2 Nov 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3938124)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the TSL website, the numbers are:

Heats 1 & 2 have 27 cars, Heats 3 & 4 having 24, making a total of 102 which from my poor memory is down on previous years.
Old 2 Nov 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3938142)   #3
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year there were six heats , four with sixteen qualifiers and two with seventeen giving a total of ninety eight , four down on this year's total . A shame a few more don't turn out in the regional series on a regular basis as both Castle Combe and the Northern series both seem to be struggling . ( At least with the results I looked at ) .
Old 2 Nov 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3938146)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Looking at the TSL website, the numbers are:

Heats 1 & 2 have 27 cars, Heats 3 & 4 having 24, making a total of 102 which from my poor memory is down on previous years.

Not as far down as I had thought.

I seem to recall about 110/115 in recent years and 120+ prior to that.

And I see they have added what seem to be entirely separate races for different age classes in a way that seems more differentiated than previous years

It may make sense over all as far as the event is concerned.
Old 2 Nov 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3938156)   #5
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Headed up after the rugby finished in time for the first heat. Racing improved as the track dried. Some good battles in the heats and Foster and Moyers at the back of the progression race tomorrow morning. Rain re-started just as the racing finished, but tomorrow promises to be better. Will be there, camera in hand.
Old 3 Nov 2019, 20:44 (Ref:3938369)   #6
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little added historic noise in the Silverstone Allcomers closed wheel race today...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris Fox - Lola T280 (2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	54382
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peter van Smirren - Lola T70 (4).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	54383
Old 3 Nov 2019, 22:20 (Ref:3938393)   #7
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
A little added historic noise in the Silverstone Allcomers closed wheel race today...
Attachment 54382
Attachment 54383
Noise is the operative word - both sounded glorious ! Galleries from Sunday racing will be available soon
Old 4 Nov 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3938571)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a belter of a weekend that was. Rain, wind, sunshine and cloud made for a rather changeable set of track conditions on both days. Great racing, typical WHT fayre giving us orange lot plenty to deal with but luckily there were a lot of us there so we could do just that - get out and deal with it.

Moyers got soooo close to a hat-trick after Saturday's incident put him to the back of the Progression race, watching him & Foster charge through the field of that and the Last Chance race was extremely entertaining.

A great weekend to round off the season.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3938635)   #9
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

First two galleries up on Flickr and, perhaps perversely, it's the all comers support races from Sunday. Still grey when the closed wheels came out to qualify. Sight and sound of the T70 and T280 were well received - as noted by Alfaholic above.

I was at Becketts before the closed wheel race when Martin Short appeared on his scooter. He was checking out if the track was dry enough for slicks. Cue confusion on my part - on Morgan's C1, surely not ! No, apparently for one of the other cars he was running.

Love where the circuit crosses the link road - produces very different images for Silverstone.

Open wheel ran in the increasingly blue sky and sunshine of the afternoon - quite a contrast from the morning and, indeed, Saturday. Peter Williams' Ralt, running on wets, got away well on the still slightly damp track but was reeled in by the trio of Dallaras.

The howl of the Lola T280 down the National Straight was to be savoured.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3938741)   #10
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

First two galleries up on Flickr and, perhaps perversely, it's the all comers support races from Sunday. Still grey when the closed wheels came out to qualify. Sight and sound of the T70 and T280 were well received - as noted by Alfaholic above.
Now added Progression, Last Chance, Cesar and Hamer races ... you can see the weather get better ready for the Silverstone Sunset !
Old 6 Nov 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3938902)   #11
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Now added Progression, Last Chance, Cesar and Hamer races ... you can see the weather get better ready for the Silverstone Sunset !
Now the semi finals and final added. Lovely sunshine for the final.
Old 7 Nov 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3939067)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
luckily there were a lot of us there so we could do just that - get out and deal with it.
Not really luck. It's a great event with a high probability of something positive to do. And it's the last of the season for many so I'd worry if there wasn't a high turn out.