Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Nov 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2588925)   #26
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, you missed it. Both posts were referring to the content of the telecasts that will be aired, not the deal itself. The deal is a great thing. Shame it will end after one round.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2588956)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
obviusly you have an opinion, not sure why you think that way,

they havent picked it up to win the ratings, they have bought it to fill a niche, people with an interest will watch
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2588957)   #28
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
The second the Americans see out qualifying telecast, they'll be ready to switch off. Then when the race starts, it'll be bye bye.
You have obviously never watched a NASCAR qualifying telecast...
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2588962)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
which is very true, an hour of cars going around in circles, but they do provide much better data for the viewer in that time, but still boring compared to our system , lucky laps are only 20-30 seconds

that would be 50 cars one at a time stealthy
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2588969)   #30
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The data is better. I suppose it is cheaper to put lots of timing sensors around a small oval than a long circuit.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2588970)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
cant argue with that and you need less cameras to cover the whole track, plus economies of scale mean larger audience, larger income , can spend more on production

now if this Speed thing works , we can get more income and therefore better coverage for the v8's in the future
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2588974)   #32
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully, us Europeans through the coverage with Motors TV will get a better deal than we've been getting this year:

- week delay on coverage whereas before we got next day coverage,
- highlights hacked to bits so as to fit within pre-arranged time slots (you want to see the mess that was made of the Surfers Paradise coverage)

That said, the live coverage of Bathurst was the absolute business.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2588988)   #33
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a pay for play deal. I'm told ALMS pay, Grand Am is part of the NASCAR deal. Indycar is on Versus getting shocking coverage because they wouldn't or couldn't pay.
This gets VESA out of a very sticky situation, the deal for Homebush was sold on TV coverage to 110 countries and a reach of 930 million households worldwide.
I just watched the WWE Monday Night RAW where they claimed a reach of about 457 million homes worldwide.
They claimed that that was bigger than the NFL and MLB.
Those figures are probably as rubbery as VESAs but does anybody seriously believe (apart from Nathan Rees) that the V8 Supercars are seen in more homes globally than the WWE.
Of course this is not Tony Cochrane's fault, he bowls up the spin and the pollies, businessmen and media get bowled out everytime.
Whatever, it'll be a good weekend and great value for those who want something apart from just car racing.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2588998)   #34
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if this deal will have any effect on the Gold Coast negotiations.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 25 Nov 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2589225)   #35
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
The FOX Sports Chairman, David Hill was out here for Bathurst and the Gold Coast events I believe and was very impressed.
Australian David Hill was the head of Channel 9 Sports at the time of the first F1 Australian GP's, so it may not have been a hard sell.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2589344)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a pay for play deal.
I'd say it is a given.

An investment by V8SA in order to try and keep getting $$$ from Governments.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2589354)   #37
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Really that sounds good.

Hopefully the Aussies can keep designing it (or at least 50/50 with the yanks), and they keep the straight six. Ford America products seem to be improving and nice looking rather than blander than a paper company sales pitch like a few years back, but it will be good to keep local input in designing the mighty Falcon.
Ford made the decision to dump the Crown Vic earlier this year. It's a 20 year old car with few changes and much of the underpinnings date back to the 1970's. Seemed silly for Ford to keep making it when they had a decent RWD platform from down under.

Especially since Chevy has made a bold decision to go with the Commodore as the new cop car in the USA and Ford owns most of that market they have been left with no choice but to respond. Some have said it might be based on the Ford Taurus but I heard through some fleet purchasers that it will in fact be a Ford Falcon based car built here in North America. We'll know for sure in about two months.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:44 (Ref:2589355)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
why would people be unhappy with the series signing TV deal in the USA

and yes i understand people arent happy, tturth be told many of them will be never be happy and they have been unhappy about things since you were in nappies.

Some people just dont like change or losing there power base
I don't see why it would matter to anyone in Australia since it has no impact on them at all. They'll never see it.

If the broadcast sucks I'll be sure to come back on and whine and complain.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:50 (Ref:2589357)   #39
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I don't see why it would matter to anyone in Australia since it has no impact on them at all. They'll never see it.

If the broadcast sucks I'll be sure to come back on and whine and complain.
It has an impact on us because we have to watch the same show (or lack of)
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2589359)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a pay for play deal. I'm told ALMS pay, Grand Am is part of the NASCAR deal. Indycar is on Versus getting shocking coverage because they wouldn't or couldn't pay.
This gets VESA out of a very sticky situation, the deal for Homebush was sold on TV coverage to 110 countries and a reach of 930 million households worldwide.
What they call it here in the USA is a "time buy". The channel rents out the airtime and it's up to the time buyer to fill it with advertising. It's not always a bad deal as some sports have made profits from it but you assume all the risk. Most cable channels in the USA use time buys for most of their airtime. Grand AM and ALMS IRC are all time buys.

indycar took the versus deal cause that was the only channel that would pay for those races. IRC it's a peanuts deal for around $6 million.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:59 (Ref:2589360)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
It has an impact on us because we have to watch the same show (or lack of)
I think the Channel 7 broadcasts are better than the Channel 10 ones. They are fine with me.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2589366)   #42
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think the Channel 7 broadcasts are better than the Channel 10 ones. They are fine with me.
Its not the channel thats the problem, its the footage that channel is given by whoever the producers are...
Old 26 Nov 2009, 04:03 (Ref:2589372)   #43
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its not the channel thats the problem, its the footage that channel is given by whoever the producers are...

What is your big hate with the v8 telecast anyway?? you seem to be p!ssing and moaning about it but why?? I think if you compare the v8s telecast to other top categories television packages from around the world we should be pretty happy with what we get... There is plenty of room for improvement but come on you seem like you are just p!ssing and moaning for the sake of it (seems to happen often)..
Old 26 Nov 2009, 06:20 (Ref:2589394)   #44
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
What is your big hate with the v8 telecast anyway?? you seem to be p!ssing and moaning about it but why?? I think if you compare the v8s telecast to other top categories television packages from around the world we should be pretty happy with what we get... There is plenty of room for improvement but come on you seem like you are just p!ssing and moaning for the sake of it (seems to happen often)..
I've already given my opinions on what can be improved in the thread for it. Just lately tho, the qualifying telemetry is in my sights. Every other category seems to have it down pat, just not ours (Talking F1, MotoGP etc). They rave on about x driver is about to be knocked out (of the 10, or 20 to go through to the next session) yeah they only show the drivers already out.
My biggest pet hate would still be the fuso start grid. The cars look shocking, and whats scary is, someone was paid to do it (and kept their job)
Old 26 Nov 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2589397)   #45
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ironically I can remember the days when Speed was still Speedvision and they used to regularly air V8SC stuff during the 'off season' here in North America, when they would show an even greater proportion of decent racing from around the world and, of course, no NASCAR. Ah, those were the good old days - what's old is new again. We used to watch Super Touring from your neck of the woods too, once upon a time!
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2589404)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I've already given my opinions on what can be improved in the thread for it. Just lately tho, the qualifying telemetry is in my sights. Every other category seems to have it down pat, just not ours (Talking F1, MotoGP etc). They rave on about x driver is about to be knocked out (of the 10, or 20 to go through to the next session) yeah they only show the drivers already out.
My biggest pet hate would still be the fuso start grid. The cars look shocking, and whats scary is, someone was paid to do it (and kept their job)

im not knocking either of those points because i agree more work can be done. but to say that the program will fail in the US because of that is pretty sill comment

firstly because they probably wont see qualifying or if they do a really shortened version (I doubt 8 hours of coverage is going to happen every 2nd weekend)

secondly because although there is room for improvement it still achieves what it is meant to do, provide some qualifying coverage and some timing. (oh and sell some ads)

but yes it defiantly has room for improvement
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2589420)   #47
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The producers are V8SA TV. There is zero input from 7 and no difference between 7 and 10. Its the same people.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2589429)   #48
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The producers are V8SA TV. There is zero input from 7 and no difference between 7 and 10. Its the same people.
Not sure who actually pushes the final button but it's Global that do all the work...

here...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 26 Nov 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2589450)   #49
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Yeah thats them, couldn't think of their name, so they got 'the producers' haha.

I think thats why the Channel 7 thread failed in many parts, because people were blaming 7 when it was V8SA TV that needed to be blamed for the issue.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2589586)   #50
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With only two different models, you'd think those Fuso grid cars could be more realistic, it looks like they are from TOCA 1...