Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Oct 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3319050)   #1
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knobbly Lister-Jaguar Returns to Production

Details HERE
Old 17 Oct 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3319153)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
An interesting article in Motor Sport.

Opening a very large can of worms.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3319212)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why did I know that someone would be concerned about this rather than welcoming it?

Jim
Old 17 Oct 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3319245)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Read the Motor Sport report!

What is the point in making continuation cars?

They have already been banned in some series and I understand that there were questions of New T 70's at Spa

Its going nowhere judged by other companies that have tried.

Whatever makes your boat float!
Old 18 Oct 2013, 07:16 (Ref:3319318)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you didn't read the article Jim, it appears that the new Lister owner has bought all the rights and is going to "validate" all Listers. Apparently some cars are racing with doubtful provenance, being at best a collection of bits or at worst a later copy, at least that's how I understood the article.

*That's* the can of worms that is being opened, nothing to do with being concerned or welcoming.

The continuation Knobbly is the tip of an iceberg.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3319339)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
can of worms? pit of snakes more like.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3319341)   #7
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Joy!!
A £600,000 1960`s Lister and 2014 8 litre small block Chevrolet.
I feel a 2.42 coming on.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3319345)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
El Tel is rumbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Oh Joy!!
A £600,000 1960`s Lister and 2014 8 litre small block Chevrolet.
I feel a 2.42 coming on.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3319350)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
. . .

What is the point in making continuation cars? . . .
Fun.

And doubtless money for those concerned - good luck to them.

More lovely looking cars giving more people an opportunity to drive them and give pleasure to people like me watching them.

Of course, I would expect them to be appropriately identified and not masquerade as "original".

Regards

Jim
Old 18 Oct 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3319413)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
El Tel is rumbled
I suggested this on the Spa post ages ago!
Old 18 Oct 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3319415)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Who in their right minds would pay whatever they are asking (£100k?) then race it in a one make series?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3319419)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Who said anything about a one make series Al?
One thing is that none of these cars will be able to be road registered unless they end up as XJ6s or the like.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3319430)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Its on their site.

Quote:
A series of Lister sponsored historic race meetings are planned for 2015, in time for the Lister 125th year anniversary. For more information, visit: ListerCars.com.
Sorry looks like I may have misread.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3319433)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Who in their right minds would pay whatever they are asking (£100k?) then race it in a one make series?
If it's high profile enough they will. remember the Jaguar one make series with F1 drivers?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3319449)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lest we forget, Aston Martin built some continuation Zagato DB4s. They apparently found six(?) chassis in the factory and reproduced the car. I believe the ensured that there was no way anyone could infer that they were originals.

I suspect the same will be for these Listers. However I'd rather see restored originals racing and frankly I'm concerned like John, that there will be a certain amount of misrepresentation. If so, then what with continuation T70s and the "new" Lightweight E Types etc. it all seems a bit pointless.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3319468)   #16
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certain amount of irony in that the "FIA Historic World Sports Car Championship" is 95% replicas built within the last 5 years.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3319475)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Certain amount of irony in the FIA .

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray View Post
Certain amount of irony in that the "FIA Historic World Sports Car Championship" is 95% replicas built within the last 5 years.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3319480)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While having some sympathy with those concerned about 'replicas', personally I would welcome the re-creation of many of the sports cars from the fifties.

How great to see a grid full of Lister Knobblies, C and D-Type Jaguars J2X Allards, DB3S Aston Martins, Testa Rosso Ferraris, 300S Maseratis etc. of course the drivers would all have to dress appropriately, and circuits prepared to period standards.

No! No! Don't wake me up.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3319482)   #19
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm going to start a historic series called the The Trigger's Broom Cup. Only 'restored originals' allowed.

Just stirring, please move along.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3319484)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
While having some sympathy with those concerned about 'replicas', personally I would welcome the re-creation of many of the sports cars from the fifties.

How great to see a grid full of Lister Knobblies, C and D-Type Jaguars J2X Allards, DB3S Aston Martins, Testa Rosso Ferraris, 300S Maseratis etc. of course the drivers would all have to dress appropriately, and circuits prepared to period standards.

No! No! Don't wake me up.
Bob, I think that we can realise that dream with original cars, and occasionally do. There weren't that many grids with multitudes of all those cars together in period.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3319488)   #21
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To my jaundiced mind, too many people are unable to differentiate between "continuation" and "replica". Just because a car looks outwardly like a true period vehicle, doesn't mean that under it's skin that it is built to the same specifications.

Having had a quick gander at the press release, as soon as it mentioned CAD and other associated computer programmes, then my cynical outlook at life led me to believe that these cars will be replicas, even though they might be using the original tooling for the bodywork. In other words, and I must admit that I am not in any way an eggspurt, these cars will be akin to the E-Types that are being created currently and which are called Eagles, I believe.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 18 Oct 2013 at 16:02. Reason: Poor spelling and even worser grammar
Old 19 Oct 2013, 05:55 (Ref:3319713)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Bob, I think that we can realise that dream with original cars, and occasionally do. There weren't that many grids with multitudes of all those cars together in period.
Yes, I'm not entirely certain that the average club meeting ran full grids of what were then, considered exotica on a regular basis. In fact the thought of a grid full of Nobbly Listers and D Types is a bit of a turn off for me. I enjoy seeing them mixing with other cars of the period and so a varied grid is much more interesting.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3319746)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed, Peter.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3319749)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The other point to consider is the build techniques and requirements today. I suspect Maserati haven't continued the birdcage because it wouldn't meet current safety standards. Even if the cars are not to be road registered there must still be a duty of care on the part of the manufacturers of these and other cars (not restorers) which would be based on today's understanding and not the conditions pertaining in the 50s.

Edit: Restorers obviously have to meet good engineering standards but they aren't remanufacturing.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3320191)   #25
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So they are looking to reproduce many of the Lister cars? I'm hoping for the Storm!

It only matters if it has a motor...