Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1410913)   #1
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Truck Racing - where to see it?

Heya folks,

I think this is the right area to post this, but please, any mods hanging around please do plonk it in the right section otherwise

Either I've been extremely blind or there's not much space for it on this forum - but one thing I've wanted to go and see for a long while is some Truck racing. I can only imagine it must be so much fun for the drivers and spectators!

However, I'm completely unaware on the amount of this type of racing that takes place in the UK - I did a google search and followed a link onto the BARC website, all I found was a simply awful and difficult website (I could make better than that!!)...

So anyone know of what series and circuits are involved? Any help would be fantastic. Cheers.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1410925)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trucks in this country race at Pembrey, Thruxton and - for the first time in a while this year - Brands Hatch. The remaining meetings this year are Pembrey (Oct 15/16) and Brands (Nov 5/6).
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1410932)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately the European Championship didn't hit our shores this year

The BARC site seems to indicate that there are two meeting left of The British Truck Racing Association Championship at Pembry and Brands Hatch.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1410933)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could easily be the right occasion to make my first visit to Brands... thank you for that, Ian - did you find that from the BARC site, or do you know of a decent website for it all?
Old 19 Sep 2005, 03:52 (Ref:1411025)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is on the BARC site and I don't know of any that is any more useful than that I'm afraid.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1411107)   #6
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear is a link to Truck Racing from Thruxton

Click here: AE-Photography.co.uk
Old 19 Sep 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1411110)   #7
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The British Truck Racing Association sometimes have a web site! - www.btra.org

The European version has www.truckracing.de. In German but the photo's translate well!

For English race reports try www.atkins-racing.net.

The ETRA does not get the crowds in the UK they pull in the rest of Europe. Together with the fact it is more expesive to race in the UK British races it does not make a good package.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1411308)   #8
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Thanks for the links there, guys!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1411333)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In addition to what has already been posted, I would recommend people take the opportunity to watch Truck Racing, as the drivers, unusually for racing drivers, realise they are there to entertain the spectators and put on a very good show.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1411359)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh how annoying. I wanted to see the truck racing at Brands, but I am at Silverstone for the Walter Hayes trophy that weekend.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1411463)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You don't want to be racing on the same calender especially if you are tail end charlie because when those things wreck a barrier they do a proper job.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1411469)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

They do indeed. I was at Pembrey in April when a couple of trucks did just that, and I thought we'd be going home early... However, we were back racing again within the hour.

I think Brands will be interesting. I know that the man in charge is keen on keeping cars off the track - just imagine what a truck could do to the turf in November!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1411664)   #13
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Unfortunately the European Championship didn't hit our shores this year
They were at Zolder yesterday (cough cough). But it seems to be going downhill. They did have 32 trucks in the Race Trucks (there are no longer Super RT). But the close running seems to be over. Not a bad weekend, but it is no longer what it used to be.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1411702)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I see them at Donnington in 97 we were on the same bill, horrible smelly smoky things, just the job to give the enviromentalists the ammo to shut us all down.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1411944)   #15
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen Swallow
The first time i marshaled for the truck racing was at Donington 05 November 03 I had only just started Marshaling. I also did Thruxton last year on post 2. I was at Thruxton this year on post 21 and will be at Brands Hatch at the end of the year.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1411962)   #16
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are over 50 drivers in the Euro championship, so the fields tend to be big. Currently they have two qually races each day of the meeting before the main race.

The gaps are not as close this year as they have been in the past, but there are known reasons for that and some enforcement of the rules over the winter should bring things closer. Last season the title went down to the final race, and the weekend started with 3 drivers who could win it.

The British championship is still great fun to watch. Richard Walker has returned from long rest (with a win or two) and has something to prove. The end of the season should be worth watching.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1412059)   #17
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I see them at Donnington in 97 we were on the same bill, horrible smelly smoky things, just the job to give the enviromentalists the ammo to shut us all down.
Agree there,I was last at Donington in 2001,for the 2CVs ,Trucks were the main event and spectators were not allowed on the outside of the circuit! I believe this was because on a previous occasion one of the beasts went through the concrete wall showering the fortunately empty enclosure with lumps of concrete.They are much too dangerous to race on any circuit that I would want to visit.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1412139)   #18
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Agree there,I was last at Donington in 2001,for the 2CVs ,Trucks were the main event and spectators were not allowed on the outside of the circuit! I believe this was because on a previous occasion one of the beasts went through the concrete wall showering the fortunately empty enclosure with lumps of concrete.They are much too dangerous to race on any circuit that I would want to visit.
I'm racing on the same bill at Pembrey - won't be sitting the resturant/bar when they are racing...