Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Dec 2000, 20:28 (Ref:51248)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

........As there will only be 2 Audi works cars at LM in 2001. (Source BBC Ceefax)

Will it be another Audi victory cruise from the lights ?

At least it means that 3 more top drivers will be available for other teams to snap up.

Simon
Old 5 Dec 2000, 22:34 (Ref:51264)   #2
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My gut instinct tells me that Panoz will give Audi a run with the new LMP car. My prediction right now, from reports I hace heard, is that the Panoz will surprise and take the win at LeMans, assuming the new engine proves reliable.

I guess we'll see the first real competition test at the Race of 1000 Years at Adelaide.

Go Panoz...that is, unless BMW gets back into competing for the overall LeMans win.
Old 5 Dec 2000, 23:22 (Ref:51269)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Autosport.com says this:

"Audi confirms Le Mans and ALMS attack

Ingolstadt marque aims to defend silverware

Audi has confirmed it will again defend its Le Mans 24 Hours and American Le Mans Series titles with a pair of updated R8 chassis next year.

This year's Le Mans 24 Hours will be held on June 16/17, and the two Audi R8s will again be run by Audi Sport Team Joest. It has re-signed Laurent Aiello, Michele Alboreto, Frank Biela, Rinaldo Capello, Tom Kristensen, and Emanuele Pirro for the event."

Anyway I am a Panoz Girl so I hope you are right and the Panoz triumphs! (I really hate to say this, but I think without Mario they may have done it last year.)
[Edited by Liz on 5th December 2000]
Old 6 Dec 2000, 00:10 (Ref:51280)   #4
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

As great a driver as Mario is, I believe he was a handicap to the team. Face it, a man's reflexes just can't be as good at his age as they are for someone nearer my age (20).

Having talked to a driver in the other Panoz car, I can tell you that Mario was a few seconds off pace during the testing at Road Atlanta.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 02:00 (Ref:51575)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Le Mans and on his first stint he was averaging eight seconds off the pace. I am sure that Brabham and Mags would have foregone the honour and the necessity of doing double and triple stints to try and make up those eight seconds. I am a very big Mario fan and always will be, and I can't think of many men his age who would have lasted for 24 hours in one of those cars (younger men were falling like flies).

Nevertheless.

It cost Panoz and cost them dearly to give him that last hurrah. I hope this year they do not have such a problem.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 20:40 (Ref:51648)   #6
SL
Veteran

Should Panoz gain a wee bit of speed then they might, and only might, just catch sight of the Bentley taillights for the first few laps then.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 21:15 (Ref:51652)   #7
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

SL-

Serious question here. Has Bentley been doing any testing, etc, as of yet? I haven't heard much about how their effort is coming.

I wouldn't expect them to come in and dominate in their first year. I think Panoz, with new car, new engine, and plenty of experience might just have their year.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 21:56 (Ref:51658)   #8
SL
Veteran

BMW Racer,

'Fraid you are probably right. Most of the big B's testing has been done under cover and probably not tested at Le Mans speed.

However they are no doubt using Audi's knowledge and parts bin so don't be surprised at their possible speed.

It is about time Panoz got their reward though. My fav to win would of course be Bentley being a Brit, but I would expect Panoz to take the race to Audi as the race will be between these two no doubt.

Le Mans testing next year will be the first clues. I am thinking about making the trip down to see it.

Will you be at 24 Daytona ?? It maybe possibe that I can wrangle a work trip to Florida yet again

Simon
Old 9 Dec 2000, 02:20 (Ref:51696)   #9
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

I don't think I'll make Daytona, as I am a college student and affording the flight down isn't very likely.

However, I'm currently trying to get in with a local team who is heading down to Daytona for the first time. If I can befriend them, I might just make it down. Here are some articles about the team:

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...d/001203a.html
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...d/001204a.html
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...d/001205a.html
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...d/001205c.html
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...d/001207a.html

They have been testing at my home track of VIR (where I will be tomorrow testing in a Motorola Cup BMW M3).
Old 9 Dec 2000, 10:34 (Ref:51713)   #10
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard two rumors about the Panoz Le mans team and these are both about driver line-ups

Car #01 = Brabham-Magnussen-Bernard

Car #02 = Kato-O'connel-Luiyendijk

THese are just rumours but as far as Eric Bernard goes. he's fast and knows the Panoz Company

The Luiyendijk link-up would be consistent with the latest rumours that Arie Luiyendijk will drive Indy 500 (2001) in a G-Force and his son will drive in the Formula Ford 2000 championship in a van Diemen both these marques are owned by panoz.

As far as i'm concerned Luiyendijk will be fast