Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 4 Jul 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2917798)   #51
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross
Why? All the X Games courses have the cars coming together like that.
That, to me, is exactly why I would question the logic of the circuit layout used at Pikes Peak.

Considering the stadium layout from previous X-Games events I can recall at least two events where the "head to head" merge of cars coupled with over exuberant drivers has resulted in problems (I'm specifically thinking of McRaes roll and Pastranas DQ). Remembering that this happened within a stadium (where the cars didn't get a chance to gain a huge amount of speed before that head to head turn), the "merge" at Pikes Peak came after both the car(s) on a normal lap and those on the Joker had been running virtually flat out.

I think that, by their very nature, the Joker sections are always going to increase the chance of car contact at the point where cars rejoin (exactly like Liam and Timur in Portugal as you mentioned); but I daresay that risk could be minimised by having the cars facing the same direction both prior to and during the merge rather then running head to head.

Minor criticism aside though, I've thought that the GRC layouts thus far have all made good use of the enviroments they have been held in. Although some saw the Old Mill location as a bit gimmicky, I personally thought the layout there was by far the best of the three GRC events.

Spotted this on another forum - so I'm not sure how accurate it is - but the proposed layout for the rallycross at X-Games this year:

If this is true then it looks vastly superior to last years dirt oval within the stadium. I assume the hash section represents dirt, so it would be nice to see a bit more of the circuit covered in dirt, but at least the rallycross at X-Games will be truly mixed surface this year - and involve some left turns!
Old 4 Jul 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2917869)   #52
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony
The map you posted is the near final layout for X Games 17 which remember takes place in downtown LA - imagine closing The Mall for rallycross!!!

Split opinion among the drivers over how the course will be as a spectacle. However, just the opportunity is incredible and we will make it work somehow.

Marcus said that they were doing about 60mph at the merge. We had two accidents in there that weekend (Burke came off far worse than Foust earlier in the day). Agree not perfect - and I preferred Snoqualmie as a course - but it was a fantastic spectacle for the fans and the heads turning left and right as Foust and Jernberg approach was like watching a tennis match!

Interestingly, the roll you refer to of McRae was the event that is recognized as boosting the sport of rally and eventually rallycross in the US. It is replayed at almost every event and TV show. We miss Colin - now there was a great driver and a great showman.

We are still learning about this rallycross stuff......but we have produced a pretty good driver! Wait for X Games 17 where the real fireworks will happen.

Mark
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2917923)   #53
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Tony
? I'm not Tony!

Quote:
The map you posted is the near final layout for X Games 17 which remember takes place in downtown LA - imagine closing The Mall for rallycross!!!
That is the final layout then? Wow. Just had a quick peep on Google maps and it looks like you have quite a lot of road/tarmac to play with, no excuse for it not to be a good one then!

Quote:
Interestingly, the roll you refer to of McRae was the event that is recognized as boosting the sport of rally and eventually rallycross in the US. It is replayed at almost every event and TV show. We miss Colin - now there was a great driver and a great showman.
The roll I mean is the X-Games 13 roll (in the Black "No Fear" Impreza), where he came into the head to head section too fast and got a wheel up on the hydro barrier, not the X-Games 12 roll (in the gold "No Fear" Impreza) where he turned off the exit of the jump too soon. The X-Games 12 roll is the one I'm forever seeing replayed!

Quote:
We are still learning about this rallycross stuff...
Oh yeah, for sure. Apologies as I didn't mean to come over as overcritical, I could just see the head to head approach thing as a problem from X-Games rally past, hence why I brought it up as a reoccuring issue here.

If thats the layout that will be used though then I can see one of the biggest flaws with last years Super Rally (in my opinion) has been addressed; specifically that the course layout was pretty uninteresting.

Quote:
...but we have produced a pretty good driver! Wait for X Games 17 where the real fireworks will happen.
It certainly seems this way. Foust will definately be one to watch for X-Games, thats for sure!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2923078)   #54
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too quite like the layout for the US Rallycross and thats what makes it different to european stuff.
We can enjoy both styles.
Looking at European rallycross theres probably more damage with cars running into each other or punting each other into barriers.
I really enjoy the ESPN coverage, but it would be good to see some of the lower classes race too. Maybe thats something for the future.

Tanner Foust he is deffo the star of Rallycross at the mo going well in Europe and beyond.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2923087)   #55
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame Skoda don't sell in the US
Time for someone to start importing them and get some backing for the Fabia.
I know they used to import cars to Canada once upon a time in the rear engine days