Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3886739)   #2076
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There were a few good radio shows around at that time. The Sunday lunchtime comedy hour was, if old fashioned, worth staying in for. Football with my mates could wait.

Apart from Round the Horne, there was The Navy Lark and I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

As one of our number often says "happy days".
Sure you’re old enough to have heard them in period Peter?

Navy Lark (left hand down a bit...) and another (think before RTH) were compulsory in our house when I was a teen, accompanying the Sunday roast..... Then when a bit more independent, it was ISIRTA-again with mates. Not only happy days, but privileged ones as well!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3886741)   #2077
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sure you’re old enough to have heard them in period Peter?

Navy Lark (left hand down a bit...) and another (think before RTH) were compulsory in our house when I was a teen, accompanying the Sunday roast..... Then when a bit more independent, it was ISIRTA-again with mates. Not only happy days, but privileged ones as well!
Wow! Sunday Lunchtime radio comedy, that takes me back. As well at those already mentioned there was also The Clitheroe Kid, the Al Read & Ken Dodd shows all along with The Billy Cotton Band Show (Wakey WakeEEEEEY).
I remember Kenneth Horne introducing one of the shows where he claimed to be answering a letter from a listener regarding double-entendres in some of the material. " I can assure you that should we become aware of such a thing we would either whip it out immediately or strike it through with our blue pencil!" Was his reply which was almost drownded out by hysterical laughter!
On a slightly pedantic note I don't ever remember ISIRTA being aired on Sunday lunchtimes, but do remember listening to it late on Sunday evenings on my transistor radio from mid 1967 (I got my radio to coincide with Radio One starting!).
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3886744)   #2078
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly yes I am that old. ISIRTA was a Sunday show but I think it moved around a bit. Fore runner to the Goodies of course.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3886743)   #2079
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not to forget The Goons of course.

Hugh Jambton sounded like a very plausible name I suppose.

Is there similar linguistic creativity in the modern era?

I think things started to go down hill with Ben Elton hosting some late night comedy acts type program back in the 80s. (As far as the UK is concerned - other parts of the world may have similar tipping points.)
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3886746)   #2080
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Billy Cotton Band Show. I can still remember the music that closed it!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3886747)   #2081
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"Somebody stole my Gal" is what I believe it was called...
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3886749)   #2082
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lord! You youngsters, what about Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh, Take it from Here,("as I entered the rude hut, I could see the writing on the wall" ITMA, Jack Benny; "Rochester, take them rubber tyres out of your mouth." Dem ain't tyres, dem's ma lips."

I can't recall the name of the quiz show with Harald Berens, Dick Bentley and Gladys Hay - anybody?
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3886750)   #2083
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There were a few good radio shows around at that time. The Sunday lunchtime comedy hour was, if old fashioned, worth staying in for. Football with my mates could wait.

Apart from Round the Horne, there was The Navy Lark and I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.
As well as the Sunday lunchtime comedy, I always remember sitting in the pub car park waiting for the doors to open listening to Bill and Jean on the BFPO programme, long lost names, Akrotiri springs to mind. Always puzzles me that I can recall these details so easily when I can't remember what I had for dinner last night!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:46 (Ref:3886752)   #2084
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Who can forget Kathy Kirby and her lip gloss
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3886753)   #2085
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Lord! You youngsters, what about Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh, Take it from Here,("as I entered the rude hut, I could see the writing on the wall" ITMA, Jack Benny; "Rochester, take them rubber tyres out of your mouth." Dem ain't tyres, dem's ma lips."

I can't recall the name of the quiz show with Harald Berens, Dick Bentley and Gladys Hay - anybody?
Some of us only go as far back as a valve wireless, not everyone had a cat's whisker!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3886754)   #2086
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The double entendre show.

Often wondered how they managed to put that out on a Sunday lunchtime. Got some of the records. Always worth a listen. The phrase was "ooh bona" and you can take that any way you like. Oops!
" How nice to bada your dolly old eek again"

"Hold me Isambard" "I've told you before hold your own isambard."

And Rambling Sid Rumpole.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3886755)   #2087
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
As well as the Sunday lunchtime comedy, I always remember sitting in the pub car park waiting for the doors to open listening to Bill and Jean on the BFPO programme, long lost names, Akrotiri springs to mind. Always puzzles me that I can recall these details so easily when I can't remember what I had for dinner last night!
It’s called senile decay! Well, in my case anyway- hopefully not yours.....

Bob, I certainly remember Take it from Here and the others, but at a younger age!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3886756)   #2088
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTE=Lancsbreaker;3886580]H another trip down to Banbury on Sunday for an Imp Club Committee meeting, as I've been stupid enough to agree to organise the Imp National Weekend this year.....something over 600 miles over the two days - time was that wouldn't feel much but I've got out of the habit

Something to lighten your load, perhaps?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9izjEXnQnaXV3VuZ9
Old 26 Feb 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3886758)   #2089
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey, that's going back a bit. You've got the old Bridge Corner in there. Also Mike Dowset's yellow Imp. He ran that for donkey's years. Don't know if he's still racing.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3886762)   #2090
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey.... I go out for the a few hours this evening and come back to pages of nostalgia! I always loved the Goons. Dad did too so we got to watch it! Tony Hancock was always a house favourite too.
Quote:

Ignorance is Bliss?

I only remember 'Take your sunglasses off.... dem's not ma sunglasses, dem's ma nostrils' version!
Old 26 Feb 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3886765)   #2091
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Blimey, that's going back a bit. You've got the old Bridge Corner in there. Also Mike Dowset's yellow Imp. He ran that for donkey's years. Don't know if he's still racing.
Steady on Peter you are showing your age, young Will will be
wondering what circuit we are on about.

I guess I trawled the Arkives for some of them.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3886768)   #2092
bauble
Veteran

England
Wrack your rains time again;
Don't be fooled by number 5, it more than t seems.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1594.JPG   IMG_5713.JPG   IMG_8871.JPG  

IMG_8570 No 44.JPG   445.JPG   131.JPG  

Old 26 Feb 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3886769)   #2093
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Crikey.... I go out for the a few hours this evening and come back to pages of nostalgia! I always loved the Goons. Dad did too so we got to watch it! Tony Hancock was always a house favourite too.

Ignorance is Bliss?

I only remember 'Take your sunglasses off.... dem's not ma sunglasses, dem's ma nostrils' version!
That's it EB, was Huey Green the question master?
Old 26 Feb 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3886771)   #2094
bauble
Veteran

England
Just for Joe A-B.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cN33k5KkoUsqq69f6
Old 26 Feb 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3886774)   #2095
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's it EB, was Huey Green the question master?
I just found this online Baub.....

Quote:
The crazy answer to the Quiz Game craze:

Where Ignorance is Bliss,
Tis folly to be wise,
It's better to be ignorant like me . . .

The trial production was transmitted on 1 April 1946, a good choice: 'Tonight of all nights four hand-picked halfwits propose to prove it! Introducing a band of experts who are anxious to get ahead because they think it would be nice to have one! Dr Nitwit and his Philmoronics provide tumult when the shouting dies!' Gordon Crier produced 'by arrangement with Maurice Winnick' It was adapted from a successful American radio series called It Pays To Be Ignorant.

The series proper began on 26 July with Stewart MacPherson the fast-talking Canadian sports commentator as question-master. Harold Berens was the cockney ignoramus ('What a geezer!'), Michael Moore the monocled upper-class twit ('I have a poem, Mr MacPherson!'), and Gladys Hay the fat lady ('Oh, he's nice, isn't he! What's your first name, ducks?') who provided the regular routine: 'Now we're back to Miss Hay again!'. Sid Millward and his Nitwits 'provide the tumult when the shouting dies'. Sid Colin was the scriptwriter.

Professor (later Doctor) Crock and his Crackpots replaced the Nitwits from 10 March 1947, founding a successful stage career, and yet another musical ensemble took over from 7 July 1947: the New Foulharmonic Orchestra conducted by Mynheer Hal Evans. When the series returned on 15 March 1948, 'musical indiscretions' were supplied by the Welsh double-act, Albert and Les Ward.

The new series beginning 23 November 1948 replaced the Wards with the Radio Revellers, and another new series beginning 6 May 1949 replaced the Revellers with the Soupstains. A major change occurred in the series starting 27 February 1950: MacPherson, returning to Canada, was replaced by Dublin sports commentator, Eamonn Andrews. The Dixielanders played the music, and the new writer was Ronnie Hanbury. The series commencing 19 August 1953 had another new questionmaster, Patrick Burns, a sports commentator from Canada. Another nitwit joined the team, Richard Gray as Harold Berens' brother from the audience. The music was back with Sid Millward's Nitwits and George Wadmore helped Hanbury on the scripts.
http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/ignorance.htm
Old 26 Feb 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3886777)   #2096
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Wrack your rains time again;
Don't be fooled by number 5, it more than t seems.
Indeed I believe that's our Rudernst but I can't remember the car. It's a two stroke IIRC.

There's a Maserati and a Standard Vanguard in there too.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3886781)   #2097
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Unable to find a single answer to Bob's quizz I landed on this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...albot_Lago.jpg
What a beauty. T 150 Figoni & Falaschi Goutte d'eau. When more was not enough… Breathtaking really.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3886782)   #2098
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Indeed I believe that's our Rudernst but I can't remember the car. It's a two stroke IIRC.

There's a Maserati and a Standard Vanguard in there too.

Definitely not Rudolph, and not two stroke, it is modified version of a well know racing car, but re-named.

* Yes but do you know which one is which?
Old 26 Feb 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3886785)   #2099
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTE] [/QUOTI just found this online Baub.....
E]

Wonderful EB, compulsive listening in our house back when Mum was young.
You have to blame her for my sense of humour.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3886787)   #2100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, just had a better look. The racing team references Bentley Boy Geoffrey O'Connell. And the car looks like a Bristol.