Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Oct 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2317955)   #151
american in britian
Rookie

United Kingdom
northampton
american in britian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all i relize most these messages r a few yrs old but to answetr a ? what ever happened to bill nicholson mgb :286fac: i no its whereabouts cuz ive seen it its currently owned by his daughter now its in a real bad shape its sitting out in the open exsposed to the weathers elements since his death now she has no idea what this car maybe worth to a racecar collector but i do so as it maybe im offering imfo and whereabouts of :286fac: for a finders fee any one intterested please feel free to contact me only seriouse enquirys only need to contact me thanks
Old 22 Oct 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2318055)   #152
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but everyone knows exactly where it is,just as much as his daughter will never sell it.!
Old 22 Oct 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2318059)   #153
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Finders fee!!! Whats that all about? How some of you guys value these old lumps of rotten tin just because someone or other sat in it amazes me, sorry. I and thatorangething have two cars that have had more famous arses sit in them than you could throw a stick at and yet oddly they dont seem to catch the imagination. Funny what makes one old piece of junk worth more than another is'nt it?
Old 29 Oct 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2323434)   #154
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finders Fee????

I'm am amazed at this post. It is something we just do not do. We are, that is most of us, Motor Sport fans, and drivers, and we give information about such things as cars, parts, advice and friendship quite freely. An unfortunate post Sir!
ps We also have knowledge of lots of cars whereabouts, who owns them, who wishes to dispose of them and who doesnt.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2323460)   #155
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
dtb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a relation to the famiily and have refrained from venting my anger at that post, I'm glad it is not just me that is disgusted with the comments - thank you
Old 29 Oct 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2323478)   #156
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dtb,you know my feelings on the matter.!!!
Old 29 Oct 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2323486)   #157
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
dtb,you know my feelings on the matter.!!!
Hi Terry
I do, very much, thanks for the post
Old 14 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2440560)   #158
Wumpletoad
Rookie

Wumpletoad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimkin View Post
Yes Fred, there was an FJ - they built two of the same model - a variation of the club car. In fact, we had one and my dad finished 2nd in the 1984 FJ championship in it (front engined). I am fairly certain that the Yimkin car was separate to the firm who did your mini. It was built by Don Sim, (also responsible for the Diva) who we met at Brands last month - an extremely nice guy. 'Our' Yimkin spent some time in the museum at Monza after we sold it, before being raced in the FIA championship. Its now for sale and we want to buy it back! It was a truly great car with viceless handling, and, as our results show, very competitive. I'll post some pics of it someday!
BTW the name 'Yimkin' is arabic, and roughly translates as maybe.

As an aside my uncle had for many years an FJ U2 as shown in your other pic - he was *extremely* successful in that!
Seven years later, quite by accident, I stumble across this arcane thread! Perhaps my small contribution may prove helpful.

Gordon and Glynn, located about half way up the East side of Cadogan Lane, were engaged in used car sales. Yimkin Engineering acted as the Service division for G & G and also took in jobbing service work from the public. Both companies were owned by the very engaging Mrs Herbert. The premises were not adjacent as has been suggested. Sandwiched between was Mike Braby who was in competition not only for general service business but also in racing as he owned an FJ Emeryson. He and Mrs Herbert were not the best of friends! However, Yimkin was best known for engine performance conversions. These, (usually available as Stage 1, 2 or 3 levels of "hotness"), were relatively inexpensive and popular with those seeking rather more performance than was available from the standard BMC "A" Series or Ford engines as fitted in the contemporary Mini, Minor and Anglia et al. The last Yimkin produced was retained and campaigned in under 1,100cc sports-car events for publicity purposes.

Conversion work was the bread and butter of Yimkin but it was thought, given the number of enterprises engaged in early Formula Junior that there might be a niche for another participant so it was decided to ask Don Sim to design and fabricate a relatively inexpensive car which might compete in club sports car categories but, with removal of cycle type wings, lights etc., could campaign in Formula Junior as an offset single-seater. This had a tubular frame skinnned in rolled alloy sheet. Front suspension (from Triumph Herald, I think) was double wishbone and coil spring; rear axle was also coil sprung and retained by Wattts linkage and Panhard rod. All major components were from the BMC range. I don't know how many of these cars were made. A Mark 2 frame intended as an enclosed-wheel sports design was produced but never completed.

To claim that the Yimkin's handling was "viceless" is to yield to the siren of history. Performance was mediocre (inevitable as the "A" Series engine would never be a match for the alternative 105E Ford) and the car was burdened with excessive roll and chronic understeer. The affects of this last characteristic were evident in the short-nosed appearance of the car at several Silverstone/Brands Hatch meetings of 1963 - the front section had been modified by a hay bale at a Debden sprint in late 1962. From a commercial standpoint, there was no possibility of the Yimkin competing with the Lotus 7 which outperformed it in every respect.

In 1963 Mrs Herbert suffered a stroke and was unable to continue managing the companies. I believe that Braby acquired the interests of Gordon and Glynn (which by this time effectively was defunct) and Yimkin was purchased by a Robin Johnson who primarily used it as a base for the support of his racing Mini Cooper. Shortly after this, day-to-day management of Yimkin was passed to Warren Pearce, well-known for his racing exploits in a Jaguar XK150 and induction manifold conversions for the Jaguar engine. Pearce had premises further up Cadogan lane; somewhere between Witchers, the Renault dealer and the London Goggomobil agent. All these premises were mews lock-ups.

A lack of business turnover, property prices beginning to burgeon by the mid-sixties and the passing of the car conversion market all contributed to the demise of Yimkin Engineering and the many other small entities engaged in similar fields. Thus ended perhaps the last interesting and affordable period of post-War car construction/modificaton. It was, in effect, a continuation of the DIY and Kit Car genre born of a desire to avoid the swingeing Sales Tax - Speedex bodies on Austin 7 (1923-1939) chassis and Ballamy independent suspension conversions for the 100E Ford come to mind. I should be pleased to learn of any Yimkin history subsequent to 1964 and the fate of the last car.

There may be one or two old enough to remember a good-natured sprint between the Yimkin and Nobby Spero's 250F in Astwood Mews long ago. A time of fun and so unrecognisably different from now. The Maserati won! But not by much. Continental Motors were always clogging the place up with their VW Beetles (this was before there was an official UK importer) and Offord's had the Lord Mayor's carriage out for a wheel repair. Not a lot of room . . . . but back-street London before the introductoin of the MOT was just about the most fascinating place in the world.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2577856)   #159
boyzee
Rookie

England
basildon essex
boyzee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling49 View Post
I was at Paddock the day he was involved in that awful pile up, he sat motionless in the car for ages, and the horn was blaring as he was slumped against the wheel. It was a pretty quick car, and was nicely prepared, IIRC it had a 1600 Ford pushrod engine.
I to was at brands that day,just after the start as they came into paddock the accident happened,Gerry Amato,s anglia collided with some other cars includeing the standard.Amato was banned from racing for a period,he put an add in autosport offering a drive of his race car to anyone who had film that would prove it was,nt his fault.It as a real shame as several cars were badly damaged.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2577876)   #160
boyzee
Rookie

England
basildon essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Back in those days the Anglia was THE car to have.Romford Motor Co,Terry Croker,the chap with the hairdressers in Hornchurch,Mick -----,he stopped racing after a massive shunt at Clearways,hit a concrete post!They were indeed good days,somewhat frantic sometimes but even so.
Then of course there were the Minis,Geoff Goodliff in the Vita Mini,coming into the proper Russell whilst having a go at Croker,went a little wide and clipped the bank just before the pit lane entry,launched into a cork-screw in mid air over the top of the Anglia without touching it and landing on its roof,when I asked Geoff if he was OK he just said he had "a bit of a headache"!.
I think Norman Grimshaws father had already started thinking about getting a new Mini built for him!!
Seeing you mention Terry Croker brought some old memory,s back to me.Terry,s dad owned A@J motors in chadwell heath in the 60,s.My dad had a garage just up the road and i would go out with Terry some nights.On one of these nights before he started racing we went out in his mk1 lotus cortina,we were in hornchurch on a country lane when Tel approach a bend to fast and we ended up going back wards through a farm gate!No damage was done thankfully.He later bought a race anglia that was further moded by anjo engineering in seven kings.After the anglia he had a new lola,cant remember the model but i went to thurxton with him where he came 2nd,Chris Craft won driveing a similar lola.I think Tel drove a larger lola sports for a few races then gave it up.Up untill a few years ago he still had the car site in chadwell heath,i got on well with him back then he was an ok sort of bloke.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2578349)   #161
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Memory lane for me too,I very nearly served my mechanical apprentiship at A&J,but my uncle stepped in and said thar I was not to work for ÂŁ2.7s.6d and I should serve the apprentiship with him in one of his garages in Bethnal Green for ÂŁ6.00 a week,guess what option I took.
I also remember the LC,a mate had a well sorted 100E with a race 1250 ohv in it,we often used to chase Terry with it through Hornchurch and sometimes through to Gidea Park where my then Girl Friend lived. A totally different story altogether

Last edited by terence; 8 Nov 2009 at 17:38.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2578364)   #162
boyzee
Rookie

England
basildon essex
Quote:
Memory lane for me too,I very nearly served my mechanical apprentiship at A&J,but my uncle stepped in and said thar I was not to work for ÂŁ2.7s.6d and I should serve the apprentiship with him in one of his garages in Bethnal Green for ÂŁ6.00 a week,guess what option I took.
I also remember the LC,a mate had a well sorted 100E with a race 1250 ohv in it,we often used to chase Terry with it through Hornchurch and sometimes through to Gidea Park where my then Girl Friend lived. A totally different story altogether
Terry was quite a one for the lady,s, after the LC he had a white "E" type,he would park it outside ilford palais on a monday night at closeing time and always got a nice young lady as a passenger.There was a mechanic who worked for Tel at A&J that had a nice mettalic blue anglia with a tuned 997 in it.My dad had the "Bridge garage" just up the high road in chadwell heath from 1960 to 66.I started off with a standard 10 with a 1200 spitfire engine,then various anglia,s,that area had so many moded cars and tuning firms at that time.Such great times.Was your mates 100E really low with a side exhaust? I can remember one that would come down the high street well quick an sounded the nuts.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2578730)   #163
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Rumbled!! Not so much low,more of a weed scraper! Every time we took it out we would get 'pulled' by plod,they would insist on the boot being opened to see what we had in the back but they couldn't believe a jack and spare wheel weighed so much.
We gave up chasing Terry once he got the 'E'Type.We did blow off the Blue Anglia though,on a few occaisions if I remember correctly.They were good times,earnt more money than I knew what to do with,and no mortgage.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2803055)   #164
jaguar.0129
Rookie

jaguar.0129 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

hi i am new to the site, to all who mentioned 1628VC just to let you know the old girl is having a total restoration at the moment and will be ready for the six hour race at Snertton next april, so if you can ,come along and see the old girl in action again, it should be a good one
Old 15 Dec 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2804938)   #165
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!

Welcome, thanks for the update!!
Old 11 Feb 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2829409)   #166
Fullscrew
Rookie

Fullscrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bill nicholson mgb

I've got a picture of what I believe is Bill Nicholsons MGB 286 FAC as it is now. Will scan it and post it when i get round to it if there is any interst.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 00:27 (Ref:2829417)   #167
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullscrew View Post
I've got a picture of what I believe is Bill Nicholsons MGB 286 FAC as it is now. Will scan it and post it when i get round to it if there is any interst.
yes please
Old 11 Feb 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2829418)   #168
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullscrew View Post
now that would be appreciated enormously
thank you
Old 11 Feb 2011, 04:20 (Ref:2829468)   #169
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I dread to think what it looks like now,such a great shame Bill's daughter wont part with it.
Old 18 Feb 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2833252)   #170
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on the picture?
Old 16 Mar 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2846881)   #171
Fullscrew
Rookie

will get it on here this week, by the weekend hopefully
Old 31 Mar 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2856149)   #172
Fullscrew
Rookie

Here it is, hopefully!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	MGB.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	32057
Old 4 Apr 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2858403)   #173
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, dear, oh, dear. that is such a shame. I knew Bill, and would see him often as the circus travelled round the tracks. What a great pity to see this wonderful car in this state.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2859750)   #174
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I dread to think what it looks like now,such a great shame Bill's daughter wont part with it.
And when one sees it in the photo it is difficult to fully appreciate why she will not let it go to a good home, where it would be looked after with - I imagine - as much care as Bill lavished over it.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2927991)   #175
pierresfrogeye
Rookie

pierresfrogeye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you remember that car ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017727.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	33871

Name:	2017731.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	33872

Name:	2017729.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	33873

I recently purchased an austin healey sprite car that got involved in the Brighton Speed trials in the following years: 1960, 1961, 1964,1965, 1966 & 1967. Its registration is 2080 PO. The driver of the car was Charles Page (1960 to 1964). I beleive he was the owner of the Page Garage in Chsichester which went to be the Blue Star Garage on North Street. The car was then driven from 1964 onward by either Lionel or his son (the main driver) Colin Starley. Lionel was the owner of the Starley garage in Brighton. The Starley's got involved in racing the car at Firle hill and other local hill climb/sprint as well as some autotest in Goodwood (and possibly other events in France VillaFans, Holland and Guernsey ). I attach a picture of the car which livery is quite distinctive (it possibly may have been raced without the windscreen with an aero screen…). I am currently documenting the history of the car and wonder if anyone as recollection of the car at some events during the 60's , prictures or any information about the drivers and the race they took part into. The car is quite disctinctive and hopefully should jog some memories....help would be much appreciated as I am intending to restore the car in a sympathetic maneer and any information would contribute to this.,...

Last edited by pierresfrogeye; 18 Jul 2011 at 09:36.