Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3069512)   #301
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine#VK56VD

Aluminium block, DOHC, 32 valve. Capacity will be reduced to make it 5.0L.
Could be some advantages with weight distribution over any manufacturer using cast iron blocks.
Old 4 May 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3069520)   #302
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Could be some advantages with weight distribution over any manufacturer using cast iron blocks.
There is a mandated weight over the front axles, so if the alloy engine is too light to achieve this, the KR/NismoAU team will need to ballast to that weight.

That they can place the weight where they like over the front of the car may help in lowering the centre of gravity...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 May 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3069538)   #303
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There is a mandated weight over the front axles, so if the alloy engine is too light to achieve this, the KR/NismoAU team will need to ballast to that weight.

That they can place the weight where they like over the front of the car may help in lowering the centre of gravity...

That's what I was thinking, the weight would be placed lower down........is the quad cam alloy engine an option for Ford and holden too?
Old 5 May 2012, 02:41 (Ref:3069550)   #304
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
[/B]

That's what I was thinking, the weight would be placed lower down........is the quad cam alloy engine an option for Ford and holden too?
Think so - saw a quote from someone involved in the COTF program recently (think it might have been Mr Skaife) saying that Ford / Holden had the option of putting forward alternative engines.
Old 5 May 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3069600)   #305
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, NZ in my PIMPED F150
EZY PEEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC, In NZV8 land if you ran the alloy heads on the holden you had to also have set lead plates bolted to the chassis rails in a set position.
Old 6 May 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3070128)   #306
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

I thought there was also minimum block weights (to stop the expensive task of machining every excess gram off the current iron blocks) so I am sure they will just mandate the same min weights if there is major differences