Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 May 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3075214)   #51
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
It's a permanent facility though isn't it ? There is no comparison to the goat track @ Homebush.
The facilities are permanent, but the road (please note - it is not a street, and should never be described as such) is used to service the various parks and houses around the circuit.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3075216)   #52
brick8300
Rookie

brick8300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason it would cost $100 mill+ to build a racetrack in Australia is most of it would be spent on studies on the Enviromental impact,Dont touch the trees,Endangered frogs, Bribes for councillors so a permit will be given and Paying Union bosses off so the job will run smoothly!!!!! Building the track is the cheapest part.!!!!!!
Old 16 May 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3075246)   #53
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
but what was the result of that $10M?
Something far superior than what $55 million got you for homebush
Old 16 May 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3075269)   #54
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
You are a slow learner obviously, Bathurst is also a street / road circuit.
Where is that sarcasm emoticon when you need it
Old 17 May 2012, 02:10 (Ref:3075535)   #55
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Andrew Rast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I start an argument?
"I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding." - John Lennon
Old 17 May 2012, 02:54 (Ref:3075544)   #56
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
who cares, racing should be done on race tracks
Yeah, who needs a facility like Homebush when there is a circuit up the road, built right next to a tip and mostly stinks to high heaven?

And why have a event right at your hotel doorstep like the Gold Coast when you do the pleasant drive an hour or so to the paperclip . . . or two and a half hours to the other side of the Darling Downs.

Much more fun to do the two hour run to Phillip Island or Winton than be able to walk to Albert Park from the Melbourne CBD.

Having all this variety just won't work will it?
Old 17 May 2012, 03:41 (Ref:3075550)   #57
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Yeah, who needs a facility like Homebush when there is a circuit up the road, built right next to a tip and mostly stinks to high heaven?

And why have a event right at your hotel doorstep like the Gold Coast when you do the pleasant drive an hour or so to the paperclip . . . or two and a half hours to the other side of the Darling Downs.

Much more fun to do the two hour run to Phillip Island or Winton than be able to walk to Albert Park from the Melbourne CBD.

I think you need to separate the different perspectives of race enthusiast and taxpayer.I was strongly anti Homebush from the start but still bought my $300 grandstand seats and have attended every day of each event and will do so for the final 2.I have enjoyed Homebush although no more or less than I would have enjoyed the same meetings if they had been held at Eastern Creek although they are very different animals.From the perspective of a taxpayer Homebush is a complete rip off as will eventually come out in the ICAC investigations(the process whereby the previous state government made up V8SA losses from the natural disaster relief fund will be particularly interesting).The economic benefits are illusory for a V8 Supercar street race.The financial model is flawed-if they lose $4mill on a crowd of 173,000 how many do they need to make a worthwhile return.The public support for the race is evaporating with the crowd last year being 30-40% down on the first 2. Even if I do enjoy a day at the races the education,health and transport in NSW is not that good that taxpayers money should be given to V8SA.Someone should point out to V8SA that they will be unlikely to move the 2013 race to the middle of the year because the Homebush precinct plays host to 3 national football teams (Souths,Bulldogs,Giants) plus extra matches at Olympic stadium due to new NRL Stadiums policy.
Old 17 May 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3075584)   #58
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently not when looking at the profit/loss from the Homebush event.
Old 17 May 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3075586)   #59
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A permenant track has year round sustainability. A temporary street circuit does not.

How would the setup/tear-down costs over the duration of the current contract compare to funding a new track?
Old 17 May 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3075588)   #60
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
How would the setup/tear-down costs over the duration of the current contract compare to funding a new track?
Not favourably
Old 17 May 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3075630)   #61
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm, I race and spectate on a regular basis at Eastern Creek and I think I've only ever noticed a problem with smell probably less than 1 in 10 times I've been there.
Old 17 May 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3075919)   #62
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yes, it is. I love drivng down the South Gippsland/Bass highway. Also, unless it's for an F1 race, street circuits/races are hugely overrated and not worth inconveniencing the rest of the public (those that don't like motorsport), just so V8SC/TC can pump themselves up.
Old 18 May 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3075976)   #63
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live about half way between PI & Sandown - so both are much easier than a CBD location.

PI is great if you can get away from the over bearing security goons,
Old 18 May 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3076029)   #64
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Hmm, I race and spectate on a regular basis at Eastern Creek and I think I've only ever noticed a problem with smell probably less than 1 in 10 times I've been there.
Yeah, I wonder about that, I've been there many times at diffeent times of the year & I'm yet to notice it.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3076042)   #65
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The last time I remember it getting a bit ripe out there was when I was travelling along Ferrers Rd, on the southern side of WSID/EC. That was maybe 6 or 7 years ago, but I didn't actually go to the track itself on that day.

The only other time I recall, was at the '93 Challenge. I think this was before they finished The Great Wall of Dirt on the outside of Turn 1.
Old 24 May 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3078588)   #66
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Government is not killing the race. They're simply refusing to pitch in any more money because they don't feel the NSW taxpayers are getting the returns that were promised.

V8SA is asking for more money because they're losing each year on the event. And with Archer Capital having taken over since the original contract, they're only in it to make money.

So the people that want it aren't willing to pay for it. And there's no upside for the Government, electorally or financially, to keep the thing going and they have such a large majority that if there's a backlash (which I doubt) they won't be voted out on this issue.

And as others have pointed out, Homebush is not a wasteland without V8s. The businesses in the area (except the hotel) don't actually want the V8s there because it affects their businesses. The place is in use 52 weekends a year but is not over-crowded because the facilities and activities are well spread out.
Old 25 May 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3079325)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
I have previously lived in a certain biscuit maker's premises in that same street for a number of years, and when the wind isnt your friend, the smell easily overpowers the 'nice' smell of making BBQ Shapes, Mint Slices and Tim Tams...

There is a spraying system on the fences in front of the waste disposal sites... not sure if they are there to keep the dust down, to water the grass, or to release an aromatic into the air....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House