Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3838209)   #176
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Christian Horner thinks Red Bull would still have won in China and Monaco this year with Honda rather than Renault power.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3838218)   #177
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
With exactly 0 victories.
What nonsense.

It is clear to Red Bull that the Honda is no worse than the Renault. Somehow you haven't noticed that Renault of Ricciardo broke down during the German Grand Prix!?
Old 23 Jul 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3838256)   #178
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It is clear to Red Bull that the Honda is no worse than the Renault. Somehow you haven't noticed that Renault of Ricciardo broke down during the German Grand Prix!?
Somehow you haven't noticed that it wasn't a Renault PU faillure. Also you failed to notice the fact the Toro Rosso cars were struggling with beating the Williams cars in the dry. And that Gasly had to start from the back because of more grid penalties.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3838261)   #179
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Honda are still doing better than last season to be fair
Old 23 Jul 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3838264)   #180
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it helps that with STR they are now partnered with a less stubborn and self absorbed team, one willing to work together.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3838425)   #181
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think it helps that with STR they are now partnered with a less stubborn and self absorbed team, one willing to work together.

Agreed EB
Ancient History to many on here but Honda's first real venture into Formula racing was the co-operation with Jack Brabham on the F2 engine in the mid 60s. They established a very good relationship and in the 2nd and 3rd years of the relationship dominated F2 to the stage that the competition almost gave up on winning.
From what I have been told, and read, there was a very high degree of respect both ways in the relationship and while there was some language difficulty they managed to communicate very well at engineering level with numbers, sketches and hand signals.

Data logging wasn't invented then so no back to base downloads.
Two very competitive groups of engineers working to a common end without too much administrative bumf.

Maybe that's the way forward for Honda and RBR/STR?
Old 24 Jul 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3838474)   #182
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, it’s not working for Toro Rosso yet, after a promising start.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3838488)   #183
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
After 11 races last year, STR with the Renault engine, had 39 points and McLaren-Honda had 11.

After 11 races this year, STR-Honda have 20 points and McLaren-Renault 48.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3838520)   #184
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Top ten in Bahrain for Toro Rosso, suggests some improvement
Old 24 Jul 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3838538)   #185
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
After 11 races last year, STR with the Renault engine, had 39 points and McLaren-Honda had 11.

So Honda has nearly doubled their points over last year! Even with arguably moving to a lesser team.

Richard
Old 24 Jul 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3838549)   #186
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Almost completely based on one freak result in Bahrain though. And some luck with safety cars, like the last race.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3838553)   #187
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So Honda has nearly doubled their points over last year! Even with arguably moving to a lesser team.

Richard
hmmm, yeah it's true. Although if my points gathering was that low then I'd want to multiply by 10 rather than 2. That's like emptying a cup of water into the ocean and saying the sea level raised. It's not wrong, but the perspective is important.

The Honda is "better" than last year it seems. But it's whether it's a meaningful amount better, and so far it doesn't appear it is, unfortunately.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3838573)   #188
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
But last year it was in the world’s best chassis ever. Now it’s in the 2014 Red Bull, oops, sorry, the STR designed in Faenza of course.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3838584)   #189
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

Ah statistics can prove everything.

* McLaren has improved *massively*: 436% of the points of last year (11-> 48)
* Honda has improved massively: almost double the points as last year (11 -> 20)
* Renault has improved: the 3rd customer has 20% more points than last year (39 -> 48)

Now who is the loser?
Torro Rosso, at half the points that they had last year?
Surely, that must be because of the drivers, as the Honda has massively improved. (see above)
Old 25 Jul 2018, 02:00 (Ref:3838632)   #190
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Almost completely based on one freak result in Bahrain though. And some luck with safety cars, like the last race.
Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. It’s easy to look at races like Canada (in which Hartley almost made a brilliant pass... but didn’t pull it off) and use that as an argument for lack of results and then ignore the races where fortune shines upon then and they generate results. This applies to everyone including a certain Mercedes driver very recently.

Richard
Old 25 Jul 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3838633)   #191
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Now who is the loser?
Torro Rosso, at half the points that they had last year?
Surely, that must be because of the drivers, as the Honda has massively improved. (see above)
Yes, STR is the loser this year. They went backwards in both power unit and drivers. Regardless Honda has improved over last year. It better than the alternative.

Richard
Old 25 Jul 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3838639)   #192
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know, seems to me like Honda isn't really much worse than Renault at the moment. The competition in the midfield has tightened. Renault with their factory team have made a step forward, Haas have been going really well, Sauber likewise. And then you have McLaren and Force India all fighting hard for positions in the top 10. Gasly has been driving well, but I don't think their driver-lineup is perhaps quite as good as it has been in recent years. But then again STR has always been the place for rookies and quite difficult to judge them without any known yardstick.

I have feeling they will finish 9th in the WCC but that's not all Honda's fault.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3838686)   #193
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The Honda is "better" than last year it seems. But it's whether it's a meaningful amount better, and so far it doesn't appear it is, unfortunately.
Red Bull only have the Renault and Honda to choose from.

So if you suppose Red Bull should choose Renault, why?

Honda offers work status, and a power unit which to Red Bull (and to many Honda fans) seems very similar in lack of performance and unreliability to the Renault.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3838721)   #194
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
(and to many Honda fans)
This does not strike you as strange?
Old 25 Jul 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3838722)   #195
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Red Bull only have the Renault and Honda to choose from.

So if you suppose Red Bull should choose Renault, why?
Because McLaren dropped the Honda PU and went up the standings.

Because STR picked up the Honda PU and went down in the standings.

Literally, it's as simple as cars with Renault engines do better than cars with Honda.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3838726)   #196
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but surely budgetary differences play a part here as well.

Mclaren had the resources to accommodate a switch to a Renault power plant far more quickly then STR would have been able to do so with Honda.

of course i dont know how much Honda is putting in though. but that aside, is the first half of this season really a fair representation for STR?

Plus Alonso flatters while Hartley has struggled...Gasly vs Vandoorne paints a different picture.

anyways, i am a RB fan so i remain optimistic for next season.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3838769)   #197
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
McLaren had resources before the Honda engine. Didn't help much. They dropped it and went upwards.

STR you could create a discussion about, but not McLaren. They dropped Honda and immediately improved with no other changes. That's pretty black and white.

As much as I want Honda to do well, I'm yet to really see it personally.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3838770)   #198
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, but McLaren are still underperforming compared to a) the other Renault-powered teams, and b) the level performance a team of McLaren’s pedigree and resources should be at.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3838774)   #199
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yes, and that's all about McLaren. But they removed Honda from the equation and went forward. Whether McLaren are doing well or not, the engine is an upgrade.

McLaren got rid of Honda. Went forward.
STR got some Honda. Went backwards.

No matter how you measure it, Honda are still the worst of the 4, and any improvement is a drop in the ocean, regardless of McLarens (lack of) performance.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3838803)   #200
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
This does not strike you as strange?
What's strange? Honda are great and have Socihiro Honda's racing spirit to race anywhere and everywhere. It would have been great if they had stayed with Lola chassis in F1 from 1960's to the present day with continuous entries, but oh well for whatever reasons they have chopped and changed between various programs.

So the F1 program is uncompetitive -- that's fine, Honda are out there racing with varying degrees of success in BTCC, WTCR, Indycar, IMSA, MotoGP... Anywhere and everywhere there is a vehicle with an engine in it you will find Honda, even the putt-putt cars at your local hire go-kart track!