Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jun 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1633832)   #1
phillsportscar
Rookie

phillsportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there an LMP3?

Hi all,

I have a quick question which I hope one of you will help me with. Im interested in the britcar and V de V championship type sportscars, but what rule book are the cars drawn to? Is there an LMP3?

Thanks,

Phill.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1633833)   #2
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know, not yet - but it wouldn't surprise me to see one. I'm sure I've read an article about this sorta subject somewhere....?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1633852)   #3
phillsportscar
Rookie

phillsportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi bob, thanks for posting. Your right there was something about it in racecar eng last year i think. I just dont understand what all the cars in britcar, v de v and all the others are drawn to. strange, and hard to find out.

Phill.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1633864)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you mean britsports? This series is racing at Brands Hatch this weekend if you didn't know already.

There are some basic regulations here but the technical section is a bit thin:
http://www.eerc.co.uk/cms/e107_plugi...ns_Issue_2.pdf

I agree, it would be great to see a 'P3' series somewhere on a national level but what would its true worth be to the International LMES/ALMS races? Currently drivers come from other routes, international GT racing or open wheelers.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1633892)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMSA Lites in the USA
Britsports in the UK
VdeV in France
Similar series in Italy, Spain, Germany.

Racecar Engineering LMP3 article is V15N9 with a rules proposal.

Closest thing you get to unified rules are the 2 litre CN 2001 cars but even the only VdeV uses them (and a variant therein), the Spaniards I think use CN 2004 which is quite different on chassis construction.

LMP3 is coming - safety is the major reason. The VdeV field proved to be not too far off LMP2 pace at Spa and the BritSports are substantially faster
Old 14 Jun 2006, 03:09 (Ref:1633989)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is coming...trust me...

Right, ss_collins???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1634074)   #7
zac510
Veteran

Sounds interesting. A pity it appears that the cars and regulations used in series throughout are quite varied so some owners stand to have a car that is either ineligible or uncompetitive in P3.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1634250)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
It is coming...trust me...

Right, ss_collins???
You are an insider?

Several US and UK manufacturers have formed an association. See bottom of this page: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch06.html

I think it's the right step to create one set of rules. At the moment there are world wide several "lmp3" type championships each with their own rules.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1634255)   #9
Viper GTS-R***
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Viper GTS-R*** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't the Radical's from the Radical RaceCup be something for a LMP3 Class?
Old 14 Jun 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1634263)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Yes and also cars like the Norma M20, Ligier JS49 and CvO R02.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1634305)   #11
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Closest thing to an LMP3 spec machine would probably be the Radical SR8, from a performance/speed point of view anyway.

Very, very quick, but not quite LMP2 territory.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1634315)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Juno, Jade, ADR, Chiron and some others build cars that would definitely earn consideration as LMP3s...

Old 14 Jun 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1634317)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
You are an insider?

Several US and UK manufacturers have formed an association. See bottom of this page: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch06.html

I think it's the right step to create one set of rules. At the moment there are world wide several "lmp3" type championships each with their own rules.
There have been inquiries from sportsracer builders form other countries, as well as some builders who are considering this market....the names from that latter category might surprise you

Old 15 Jun 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1635051)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If it does come , I sincerly hope that they do "not" race with LMP1 & LMP2 and GT1 & GT2 . We already have 4 classes and another one would be too much in my opinion . Our grids are full with respect to the LMS and LM , so it wouldnt really work anyway , together .

Why not , run a LMP3 championship alongside a GT3 championship as a support series , or a national series . That might work ?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1635076)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gosh, what a clever idea!

In fact, that is similar to what VdeV is already offering, but might prove to be a bit more, um, formalized. VdeV has proven the concept; now someone has to formalize and export it.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1635080)   #16
zac510
Veteran

Badger, I think simply universal adoptance of the rules would be beneficial to competitors and constructors. I agree that racing with the P1 and P2 is a bit too much.
Then each country can work out the championship to themselves, but international competitors can compete easily.

Although one could probably say what I did above about a lot of the racing series around at the moment!
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1635081)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I didnt realise that Paul .

But , does it work ?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1635082)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

Universal rules are a great idea . Just look at what has happened since the creation of the Le Mans Series . We now have competitors from all over the world that will be able to race against each other without spending a fortune to convert to a series rules for one race .

I remember when John Nielson converted his Panoz LMP1 to ELMS rules "scaffolding pole" . He said that it cost something like 40 grand .

Universal rules ..... brilliant !!!
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1635094)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I didnt realise that Paul .

But , does it work ?
http://www.vdev.fr/english_welcomepage.htm

Judge for thyself!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1635103)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
In Europe there is the Sports Car Challenge

www.sportscarchallenge.at
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1635108)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Different places handle this differently.

V de V has huge fields of cars and is very, very successful...the GT cars and the sportsracers (FIA-CN and FIA-C3 spec) race simultaneously in the same event.

BritCar and BritSport race on the same weekends at venues, but they race in separate events....they are running at Brands Hatch this weekend.

In Brazil, their big endurance series also pairs GTs, Touring cars and sportsracers together on the track in the same races for a full season, and they also have two special events...the 12 Hours of Taruma, and the Mil Milhas Brasileiras, but the latter will become an FIA-GT event next year, IIRC.

The Brazilian series, however has too many classes (6 or so) and it gets somewhat confusing.

Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1635122)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
From my discussions with constructors when we began exploring the ISCMA concept that you read about on Dailysportscar , Mulsanne Mike's site, etc....( in referance to the link posted earlier)

The main hurdle that hinders them from selling many, many more cars than they already do is the plethora of different rules, race formats, and specs to compete.

The SCCA sportsracer classes are single seaters....FIA-CN and C3 specs require two seats....just for starters...

A universal standard for construction and a migration of the V de V type of race format and rules to other countries or continents would be most beneficial to constructors and would foster growth within the industry, as well as variety for the fans...

As an example, three of the seven founding members of ISCMA are closed-top sportsracers...and all seven are or will be beautiful, fast and well-built cars....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 15 Jun 2006 at 15:11.

Old 15 Jun 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1635216)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Gosh, what a clever idea!

In fact, that is similar to what VdeV is already offering, but might prove to be a bit more, um, formalized. VdeV has proven the concept; now someone has to formalize and export it.

FIA & SRO ??

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Jun 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1635294)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
...to start.

-Bill James
Old 15 Jun 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1635544)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not SRO.

On LMP3 - obviously I'm a party to more info than I can give out - partially from my job and partially as media partner of IMSA Lites...

All I'm gonna say is that where there is a will...