13 Opel Ascona
14 Mercedes-Benz SL “Pagoda”
15 Mercedes-Benz 600
16 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3
17 BMW M1
18 BMW 3.2 CSL Batmobile
19 Bitter Coupe
20 Audi TT

Some of their reasoning doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, eg including the original BMW 520 because later models were good??? And I'm not sure about the comment “the 1982 Audi 100 was clearly the same design, with new headlights and flush glass” as the NSU Ro80! I'm sure there are a few pre-war cars that would push out things like the BMW 1500, 520, Golf, Pagoda SL, CLS and the Bitter Coupe. Surely the original 1896 Benz deserves a place for starters!
Old 29 Oct 2007, 23:34 (Ref:2054479)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strange list.

However, on no account should the SL Pagoda be pushed out. It is IMHO the only genuinely beautiful German car unless you include the Auto Union grand prix cars.

Which Porsche 911? All of them? And if so, we be so specific with the BMW 520? I would say the 5 series should be included as a model range, simply because it is and always has been the best mid-sector executive car.

As an iconic performance car and successful racer, the MkI M3 should arguably be there. I'm not sure about the Golf and the Beetle - unless you make it the Mk1 Golf GTI - the original hot hatch.

And finally - not entirely sure why the Boxster is so high up - it's not even a proper Porsche!
Old 30 Oct 2007, 03:12 (Ref:2054548)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was a reference to "all" 911's! I agree, a very strange juxtaposition including a specific 5-series (not to mention possibly the worst!). I can only conclude it was something they only did on Friday afternoon until it was time to knock off.

Mind you when I get some time I will put together a list of what I consider to be the Top 20 Australian cars. It should include a couple of surprises.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 09:36 (Ref:2054683)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There'll be more than a couple of surprises to me - I can't think of 20 Australian cars...
Old 1 Nov 2007, 10:21 (Ref:2056693)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Prepare to be surprised! Eg 4 wheel drive & 4 wheel steer in 1907... ok it was a truck but the company concerned subsequently made a car.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2056792)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking forward to your list John and perhaps a robust debate to follow.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:28 (Ref:2056833)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I can imagine how that debate might go in here, centred around two distinct lists - one with no Holdens on it, and one with no Fords on it...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 01:12 (Ref:2057362)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
I can imagine how that debate might go in here, centred around two distinct lists - one with no Holdens on it, and one with no Fords on it...
Aaahhh, so you know some Australians then?

I own a Holden and a Ford, does that make me bisexual, bilingual, ambidextrous or just plain odd?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2060108)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Let's just say it means you've got a foot in both camps, so to speak.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 03:10 (Ref:2062636)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hurry up John, i'm waiting! I'm sitting here ready to go, i've even got my debating hat on.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 11:05 (Ref:2062869)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I may be some time (not as long as Lawrence Oates though) as I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 05:11 (Ref:2064144)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Ohhhh, i am never moving house again. I grew up as an army brat and I've had enough moves to last me a lifetime. Good luck.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 06:28 (Ref:2818115)   #13
petrobrown
Rookie

petrobrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW 1 Series Coupe,Smart ForTwo Passion Cabriolet,Mercedes C300 Sedan
this are the best car of the Germany.This car is very popular in the world.they are best for driving on any type of road.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 11:59 (Ref:3548327)   #14
TeenTop
Rookie

TeenTop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
911 is a legend indubitably
Old 21 Jun 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3552848)   #15
Nial McCabe
Rookie

United States
New Jersey - USA
Nial McCabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which 911? It's a 50 year run and they've changed a bit over that time [sarcasm/].

And what about the Unimog?

Old 22 Jun 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3552884)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would have said the Mercedes 190E, the first baby car, was a gamechanger for the brand, and a very good little device back in 1985
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Jun 2015, 06:44 (Ref:3553794)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
No M3, M5, M6, 135i, 335i

930turbo Porsche.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3555741)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite. I wonder if I can find the time .................!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Nov 2015, 15:28 (Ref:3588591)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I would have said the Mercedes 190E, the first baby car, was a gamechanger for the brand, and a very good little device back in 1985
As the owner of a 1985 190E 2.3-16 I would have to agree.

(Holy thread resurrection, Batman! )

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a 1985 190E 2.3-16? Hardly use the thing and it costs me twenty quid a week in storage!