Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2499314)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you had 30 minutes with the Black Wiggle

If you had 30 minutes with TC what would you say to him?????????????????????
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:39 (Ref:2499316)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if i had 30 mins with him only one of us will walk out and it won't be him.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2499325)   #3
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would we need the other 29 minutes?
Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2499328)   #4
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What others have said , why waste 29 minutes !! my .45 will have decided that in 5 seconds
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2499352)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually its an interesting question...

I am not sure how a discussion would go.. if we were to make a presentation to TC about a particular issue or other, the subject would have to be immaculately researched, considered, and mindful of the myriad issues surrounding the sport.

The concern is what the response may be, whether Mr Cochrane would hide behind his mandate, afforded him by the board of VESA, and by the promoters and fan numbers and the like.

I would doubt an inspiration to inflection would be forthcoming unless the argument was perfect, and fiscally balanced...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2499361)   #6
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I would doubt an inspiration to inflection would be forthcoming unless the argument was perfect, and fiscally balanced...

Wrong.

Fiscally favourable. And not to you.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2499362)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i sure wouldnt be talking about improvemnet to the v8s, i would be getting tips about improvemnet to me

I might mention thats races should not be time shortened. what a farce that todays race was time shortened (even though they did the extra lap)
Old 11 Jul 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2499418)   #8
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
Today's race wasn't 'time shortened' (although it was a close run thing).

The Sup-Regs clearly state:
"Duration = 72 Laps or one (1) lap after 1643 whichever occurs first"

16:43 'clicked over' during lap 71 & therefore another lap was required after.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2499421)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
apparantly it was time shortened and the last lap did not count

Quote:
There was further controversy when it was discovered after the race that race officials had declared the result at lap 71 when it became a timed race so effectively the following lap meant drivers were racing and risking their machinery for no reason.
press release
Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2499423)   #10
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
Whilst the "press release" advocates such, the Chequered Flag was shown at the completion of the 72nd Lap, not the 71st.
If the "Race Officials" had determined that the race should finish after 71 laps, why didn't they display the Chequered Flag at that time?
Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2499424)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
that would be why its a controversy
Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2499438)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
according the resaults on Natsoft only 71 laps counted:
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...7/2009.TVSC.R3

1 1 TeamVodafone Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG 5000 71 01:35:37.4475 17 1:13.7362

so how can it not be a timed race? WTF, i thought timed race means 1 lap after the said time. and if the chequered flag was shown at lap 72 resaults counted on lap 71. FMD it's confussing.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2499455)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why don't they just have a timed race or a laps race? If they want to have a 1.5 hr (?) race to fit podiums etc into the television package, then why not just hold a 1.5 hr race and forget about having an arbitrary lap number if they leave so little allowance for safety cars. If it's good enough to have a reasonable time limit at Bathurst, why aren't these sprint rounds given the same luxury?
Old 11 Jul 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2499458)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
do they have a reasonable time limit at Bathurst?
Old 11 Jul 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2499496)   #15
PE 030
Rookie

PE 030 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Actually its an interesting question...

I am not sure how a discussion would go.. if we were to make a presentation to TC about a particular issue or other, the subject would have to be immaculately researched, considered, and mindful of the myriad issues surrounding the sport.

The concern is what the response may be, whether Mr Cochrane would hide behind his mandate, afforded him by the board of VESA, and by the promoters and fan numbers and the like.

Probally the same response you would get from Kim Jones
Old 12 Jul 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2499714)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE 030 View Post
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Jul 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2499717)   #17
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE 030 View Post
Whilst quoting his "Mate - Out the Back"
Old 12 Jul 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2499920)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two things I'd put to him, and for that matter, would like to put to Bernie too:

1) Your category is the pinnacle of the sport in your area, and should be run in a manner beneficial to the whole of the sport (since that's where your next generation of drivers, teams and officials are coming from). The top end should be used to promote and strengthen the sport.

2) You're not an elected person, it is not the role of government to spend taxpayer's money to support your private venture, and (ab)using your power to elicit public finance. I would have more sympathy with you over 2) if you were respecting 1), but since you're not, you are a business and should act independently.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2499928)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
what makes you think no 1 isnt happening woolley
Old 13 Jul 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2500593)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your a 'believer' you would probably have quite an enjoyable 30mins

If not you'll have a 30min infomercial on how your wrong (have witnessed something like this)

As for my 30mins, i'd love guided tour by Tony himself of the V8Supercar World Headquarters to find out exactly what they do there all day
Old 13 Jul 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2500597)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
If your a 'believer' you would probably have quite an enjoyable 30mins

If not you'll have a 30min infomercial on how your wrong (have witnessed something like this)

As for my 30mins, i'd love guided tour by Tony himself of the V8Supercar World Headquarters to find out exactly what they do there all day
play with Ken & Barbie dolls and the little cars.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2500616)   #22
Kiwikid
Racer

Kiwikid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys should do us all a favour and stop watching V8SA. Watch, F3, FFord, GT, etc – but stay away from V8SA FFS.

I, for one, am sick and tired of the hypocrisy. You all watch and study every bit of V8SA – but, seemingly, only because you hate it. Do me a favour.

Today’s thread is to allow you all to rant on about what an evil man TC is - yet he has done more for the sport in Australia than at least 99% of the motorsport population.

V8SC is now both a sport and a genuine commercial enterprise (to rival the football codes). Without the specific knowledge, I think the following is an accurate estimate of combined contribution from the teams and V8SA:
- 1,000 plus direct employs and at least the equivalent indirectly, and
- $100M plus in sponsorship, TV, and other income.
- Support categories get TV coverage, skilled employees.
- Drivers, mechanics, engineers get a career path.

As for whoever claimed that government money should not be spent in motorsport – go to the top of the class my man! Lets give all that government funding to Golf, Soccer, and other more meaningful pursuits – as all of the motorsport fans would prefer you didn’t direct it to us!

Ask the many, many, volunteers, was it better at Bathurst before or after the facilities upgrade? Track side marshals are safer, pitlane officials have better facilities, there are more of them, etc. Seperately, the fee that V8SC pays to Cams per year is in the millions of dollars – obviously all you wise men would rather Cams didn’t get that.

Yes he has an ego, yes he has a one eyed approach – but, overall we are far better off as the result.

My question would be about the future, how we can influence it and how sustainable it is.

And, finally, whoever the knuckle head is who threatened to shoot him – some things are funny, but, you missed the mark badly!

Last edited by Kiwikid; 13 Jul 2009 at 09:01.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2500714)   #23
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on with your comments Kiwikid.

At the end of the day TC and V8SA, has bought V8's into to the 21st century. Not so long ago Symmons Plains would run in early March, you would be lucky to get a handful of the mainland drivers turn up and most had the excuse of travel, money etc. Now look at a round at Symmons Plains you have a full field of V8's, plus support races etc and a three day
event that gets a crowd of 60,000 plus. When I worked in Darwin in the 80's, Hidden Valley was the local yocal's drag strip, that was out in the scrub somewhere, now look at the place. Likewise Townsville, Clipsal, Sydney are down to these guy's hard work and probably TC's pig headness and his ability to sell the product.

In thirty years of going to speedway and circuit racing, I have met lot's of gunnas, bull****ters, conman, fast-talkers but ever a handfull of guys that can actually deliver the goods as a promoter. In the golden days of speedway's a lot of drivers were never paid for races they won, tow money etc.

Personally the mid 1980's were the lost decade for V8's in this country, we played with the WTTC, we went the turbo road and that didn't work but wasn't until TC came along that it seemed to get dragged into some sort of order!

Bit like World Series Sprintcars when it was run by Wade Aunger and his crew, a great show but look at it now!

Some things are best run by a dictator not a committee of enthusiasts!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2500732)   #24
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!

He is not perfect nor everyone's cup of tea (but who of us can claim to be either) but he has done a great job with the V8's and is greatly admired by the people who work in the pit lane (who to a large extent owe their income to him).

I think that if you were going to spend half an hour with him it'd be worth shutting the mouth and opening the ears - he's a very intelligent man with a lot of worthwhile things to say (many of which don't get a public hearing).
Old 13 Jul 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2500748)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Spot on with your comments Kiwikid.

At the end of the day TC and V8SA, has bought V8's into to the 21st century. Not so long ago Symmons Plains would run in early March, you would be lucky to get a handful of the mainland drivers turn up and most had the excuse of travel, money etc. Now look at a round at Symmons Plains you have a full field of V8's, plus support races etc and a three day
event that gets a crowd of 60,000 plus. When I worked in Darwin in the 80's, Hidden Valley was the local yocal's drag strip, that was out in the scrub somewhere, now look at the place. Likewise Townsville, Clipsal, Sydney are down to these guy's hard work and probably TC's pig headness and his ability to sell the product.

In thirty years of going to speedway and circuit racing, I have met lot's of gunnas, bull****ters, conman, fast-talkers but ever a handfull of guys that can actually deliver the goods as a promoter. In the golden days of speedway's a lot of drivers were never paid for races they won, tow money etc.

Personally the mid 1980's were the lost decade for V8's in this country, we played with the WTTC, we went the turbo road and that didn't work but wasn't until TC came along that it seemed to get dragged into some sort of order!

Bit like World Series Sprintcars when it was run by Wade Aunger and his crew, a great show but look at it now!

Some things are best run by a dictator not a committee of enthusiasts!
A lot of what you say is true, but while the commercial and promotional aspects of the sport have improved the racing has not.