Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3215768)   #1
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamlin fined for criticising Gen 6 Car

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...enix-race.html

It would seem the truth hurts. Personally I hope Hamlin and JGR stick to their guns and tell Nascar what to do with their fine.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3215827)   #2
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News article from Yahoo. Hamlin is resisting the fine. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hamlin-...0--nascar.html
Old 8 Mar 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3215871)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
It sends out a rather poor message when a series punishes drivers more for speaking than dangerous driving.

Ministry of Truth, anyone?

Last edited by Peat; 8 Mar 2013 at 08:07.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3215884)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is rather pathetic stuff from NASCAR. Probably the most pathetic thing I have ever seen.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3215936)   #5
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
It sends out a rather poor message when a series punishes drivers more for speaking than dangerous driving.
NASCAR sent out a very clear message after the Gordon / Bowyer incident last season that the main criteria to be used when setting driver punishments will be the drivers perceived popularity. It's probably a good job that it wasn't Kurt Busch that said this otherwise he'd have been suspended again.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3215945)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hamlin should be getting an award from NASCAR for helping them with their G6 development process.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 12:21 (Ref:3215984)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
"Nascar guys are *******" - ok, give 'em a fine.

"The new car is worse" - come on, you can't fine Hamlin for stating an opinion!
Old 8 Mar 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3216013)   #8
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL. 'Actions detrimental to Stock Car racing'.

As far as I can see there's only one group of people who should be punished for that, and it aint the drivers.

Don't pay Denny, tell em to shove it where the sun don't shine.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3216049)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

Ministry of Truth, anyone?

That's a good laugh.

I think Nascar is getting a bit psycho. Usually in an attempt to control everything you lose everything.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3216059)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
NASCAR should have a jail-house trailer to house delinquent drivers. If one of them comes out with bad language..or..uh..tells the truth, NASCAR can lock 'em up and let them cool off for a couple of nights.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3216064)   #11
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I feel we could be in for a very turbulent season. With this fine, NASCAR is showing they will no longer accept criticism from its drivers. They do not need something like this after all the attendance issues, scarce sponsorship, and the Daytona disaster a couple weeks ago. At this point, they're better off rigging Danica's car in a way that it'll run top 10 or at least top 15 every week, because that may be the only good publicity coming into Nascar right now. Sad really.

It's still a new car. There will still be a learning curve, with the car needing feedback from the drivers and crew members to make it better. By giving a fine for that criticism, it looks like Nascar will do nothing to adjust the car to make the drivers happier. The car won't get better and it'll have the exact same issues the last gen car did.

...or maybe it's the manufacturers who don't want their cars criticized, making Nascar do something like what we've just seen. Who knows at this point if things will get better short term?

Last edited by MJ_N_09; 8 Mar 2013 at 18:03.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3216115)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought freedom of speech was enshrined in the American Constitution - or does Nascar believe it is above all that!
I would like to see this issue judged in a court of law though I doubt it will get that far and Hamlin will capitulate.
Nascar is having a turbulent time at the moment with falling crowds, withdrawal of Dodge, withdrawal of sponsors and pretty poor racing. And have you looked at their website recently? Woeful - designed by nerds for use by kids and fantasy fans. Try getting useful information like entry lists, practice times and meaningful results.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3216121)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And right now, they're having a rain delay, IN THE DESERT!

I think NASCAR's explanation would be that it's their organization, and nobody is being forced to take part in it. So, they feel they can impose their arbitrary judgments on all sorts of things, because it's THEIR exclusive club.

BTW, I do NOT approve of their course of action in this matter, or in quite a few other areas as well.

I hope Denny and the team hold fast, and really, they're a big enough and popular enough team that it would hurt to do too much to them. Also, going after Coach Gibbs could have some wider-ranging consequences for NASCAR.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3216126)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's funny is that most people would probably not notice Hamlin's remarks or if they did it would go in one ear and out the other.

By making such a big stink with the fine, all they have done is draw attention to it in a major way. Now everyone takes notice.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely and I believe Nascar feels it owns the whole US motorsports scene and now that it does it can suppress any critical thought or anyone it doesn't like or that doesn't tow the line. Big mistake.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3216132)   #15
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall that Shrub won the first race for the 5th generation CoT cars in the #5 HMS car. Interviewed in Victory Lane after the race, he said "This car sucks", or words to that effect. I cannot recall, though, that he was sanctioned by NASCAR for his remarks- so what has changed in the intervening years?
Old 9 Mar 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3216190)   #16
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR makes the old East Germany's Stasi look like Primary School Prefects.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3216196)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I thought freedom of speech was enshrined in the American Constitution - or does Nascar believe it is above all that!
I would like to see this issue judged in a court of law though I doubt it will get that far and Hamlin will capitulate.
Nascar is having a turbulent time at the moment with falling crowds, withdrawal of Dodge, withdrawal of sponsors and pretty poor racing. And have you looked at their website recently? Woeful - designed by nerds for use by kids and fantasy fans. Try getting useful information like entry lists, practice times and meaningful results.
Well, the idea is NASCAR is a company and drivers are employees and in America employers have wide scope to discipline their employees as they see fit.

If one must put in a commercial context then I think telling lies to your consumers is bad form. I think you got to tell the truth - tactfully so as to respect ones employers but if you want to improve the product and your standing with your consumers, then you got to the level with them first.

If I express an issue with a product and get a dog and pony story for my trouble, I'll know I'm being conned. But I'll respect a company if they admit their mistake and they make a genuine commitment to resolve the issue. 21st century consumers are shrewd people; they know they are being lied to.

In short, businesses shouldn't think they can fool their customers and NASCAR shouldn't either.

Hamlin was doing very well so it'd be in his personal interest to keep a lid on it. Instead, he spoke out because he values his craft and the sport at large.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 03:38 (Ref:3216217)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Oh yeah, Nascar cares a lot about constitutional rights! See this.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3216466)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't agree with a fine about someone speaking their mind, but everyone else is driving the same car and dealing with the same issues.

Besides, isn't this the real story? http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...m-of-gen-6-car

Old 10 Mar 2013, 03:22 (Ref:3216568)   #20
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Racer has a short piece about this and the interesting part is Gordon's comments at the end:

Quote:
But at the end of the day, I know whose sandbox I'm playing in, and I like the sandbox, and I like to play in it, and I want to have the best opportunity to have the most fun in that sandbox. And so sometimes, while you don't like it, you have to bite your tongue and just go out there and race.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3218590)   #21
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
The appeal is dropped.

Quote:
Hamlin drops appeal of fine: #11-Denny Hamlin tweeted Thursday afternoon, "After a lot of thought I have decided not to appeal the fine NASCAR has issued. Dragging myself, my team and NASCAR through the mud for the next 2 weeks would not be good for anyone. I firmly believe I am in the right on this issue and will stand behind my decision not to pay. I understand NASCAR will do what they feel is necessary based on my decision. Thanks to all of my fans and peers who have supported me in this decision. I look forward to putting it to rest."
AND NASCAR announced today that the $25,000 fine assessed to driver Denny Hamlin on March 7 will be settled per Section 12-3 of the 2013 NASCAR rule book after being informed by Hamlin that he will not appeal the penalty. Hamlin was fined after the sanctioning body determined he had violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing). NASCAR considers this matter closed.(NASCAR)
AND Section 12-3 of the NASCAR rule book allows NASCAR to collect fines from the driver points fund and/or race purse winnings.(3-14-2013)
Old 15 Mar 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3218843)   #22
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear Denny. Although I agree with your stance, you're in for one frustrating year. Expect a lot of pit road 'speeding' penalties and a few 'debris' cautions when you really don't need them.

Or am I being cynical?
Old 15 Mar 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3218885)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
NASCAR doesn't need this censorship. If they are afraid of this kind of criticism they are lost.