Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 May 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3409141)   #1
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dunlop M section CR65 tyre Pressures

So..Have started to shake the old girl down and I am enjoying the experience..I am starting to get a little more comfortable with it but the car still has a hell of a lot more ability than the tubby squidgy bit behind the wheel..

I have started out with 27 PSi all round and worked on evening out pressures to max 30Psi Hot..I have been told that others run much higher pressures on historics so now that I am starting to be a little more consistent I am going to start upping pressures slightly to see what the differences in handling are..

Has anyone got any advice regards pressures that these tyres run? I have heard that some run up to 40 psi ??

I am running 550's front and 600's rear all on 8 inch rims

Neil.
Old 22 May 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3409144)   #2
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Find out what the end pressure in yr tyres is. if this is to high after practise, lower pressure . if you don't get there : you must spank the Blackpool ***** (sorry I meant , red light district lady) harder.
Old 23 May 2014, 07:18 (Ref:3409267)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If they get too hot its like driving on oil . . . I had mine down to 22 psi cold last summer. they go up 4-5psi when hot, if less, spank harder!

anything over 30 is horrible on the Cortina, some people wind them up in the wet to open the tread but I think that's pointless as you getno heat in them if they don't move about a bit . . .

Having said all that I know bugger all about tyre tech so wait for someone knowledgable to comment . . . . . isn't the interent a wonderful font of bull****!
Old 23 May 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3409275)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The problem is Dunlop pressures seem to be very car specific. For example, I run my +4 which has 5" rims with much higher pressures than another car with wider rims and different weight but same width tyres. With the Griff weight distribution (it must be nose heavy?) I wouldn't know where to start, maybe you need to beg some info from Nigel Reuben or someone of his experience, or one of the guys at HP Tyres may have some ideas.

Old 23 May 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3409283)   #5
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

some people wind them up in the wet to open the tread but I think that's pointless as you getno heat in them if they don't move about a bit . . .
I'm tending to agree here. I ran lower pressure at Thruxton on a damp track and found myself getting quicker as the race progressed. The last couple of laps as it started to rain, i got even quicker!!
Old 23 May 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3409293)   #6
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike is right, and tyre pressures are very much car specific, and I would advise some experimentation on a test or track day.

I reckon you are running too much pressure, allowing for the fact that the pressure will increase 4-5 psi at least quite quickly.

So many other factors will come into play, from tyre wall flex, corner weighting, castor/camber angles, etc, etc, so I reckon you need to "play" for a day.
Old 23 May 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3409300)   #7
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One way that we have found for setting up , pressures , suspension , tracking etc , is by taking tyre surface temperatures when testing .
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperatur.../dp/B002YE3FS4

Using something like this [ other types are available ] , across the tread surface will tell if it is too high a pressure [ not much heat at the edges ] too soft [ too much heat at the edges & not in the middle ], & even things like wrong camber or tracking .
Testing does take a lot of time to try to find what works best , but as they say " every little helps "
Old 23 May 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3409348)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to run at 30 lbs hot on my Cortina but have gone up a couple of lbs recently. The tyres do gain around 4 lbs in a 15/20 minute session (except for right rear - 3 lbs) so I set them cold at 28 lbs (29 for RR) then adjust as soon as possible after practice to set at 32 all round.

Trial and error is the best, but t(y)resome way to go!
Old 23 May 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3409571)   #9
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had heard of people running 40 psi hot pressures and for a moment thought I may be running under inflated..Running 30 hot doesn't sound too far away.. I will next time try a couple above and a couple below..Trouble is Me more than tyres..not really consistent enough and more track time needed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgG5k...m-upload_owner

It gets interesting after about 12 mins in. Please don't be too critical of my lines it was my very first time at croft. Driver is starting to feel more in tune with the car but still a long way to go.

N.
Old 24 May 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3409663)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We always ran 32F 34R, took a while to get it just right for the Griff because of the torque/engine weight/rear suspension set up etc. Same pressures wet, it stops the tread from closing up and makes the histo quite a nice tyre for rain use.Ended up using the same pressures for the B as well, obviously worked with a 3:08 in the dry.What are zz s worth per lap? Generally 3to 4 seconds but much more fun on Histos.
Old 24 May 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3409733)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Ended up using the same pressures for the B as well, obviously worked with a 3:08 in the dry.What are zz s worth per lap? Generally 3to 4 seconds but much more fun on Histos.
When was that Terry? Last time I recall you doing 6 Hour at Spa in your MGB in 2009 you did a 3-20.... However for context the Smith and Cottingham MGB's do indeed do 3-05/8 but not sure if that is on Avons or Dunlops.
Old 24 May 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3409734)   #12
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
I had heard of people running 40 psi hot pressures and for a moment thought I may be running under inflated..Running 30 hot doesn't sound too far away.. I will next time try a couple above and a couple below..Trouble is Me more than tyres..not really consistent enough and more track time needed

Please don't be too critical of my lines it was my very first time at croft. Driver is starting to feel more in tune with the car but still a long way to go.

N.
No one here will be critical. Think we would all like your car.

Great onboard footage showing just what a lovely circuit Croft is.

Just experiment with tyre pressures and don,t be scared to lower them even more. It will come right, and may well be surprising in the end pressure results. As a matter of interest just how old are the tyres?

Please keep us posted.
Old 24 May 2014, 10:37 (Ref:3409748)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
the Smith and Cottingham MGB's do indeed do 3-05/8 but not sure if that is on Avons or Dunlops.
Avons.
Old 24 May 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3409769)   #14
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
No one here will be critical. Think we would all like your car.

Great onboard footage showing just what a lovely circuit Croft is.

Just experiment with tyre pressures and don,t be scared to lower them even more. It will come right, and may well be surprising in the end pressure results. As a matter of interest just how old are the tyres?

Please keep us posted.
Yes they are 11 years old and a little cracked up (like the driver) ..
New set will be on order soon and the old ones will be spares…I wish I had the budget available to me that some other Griff Fia racers have access to??

N.
Old 24 May 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3409771)   #15
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
We always ran 32F 34R, took a while to get it just right for the Griff because of the torque/engine weight/rear suspension set up etc. Same pressures wet, it stops the tread from closing up and makes the histo quite a nice tyre for rain use.Ended up using the same pressures for the B as well, obviously worked with a 3:08 in the dry.What are zz s worth per lap? Generally 3to 4 seconds but much more fun on Histos.
I assume they are hot pressures Terence?
N.
Old 24 May 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3409849)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was cold, much lower than 34 rear lets the tyres deform under acceleration.
As Mr Drabble obviously has come out of hibernation , who said anythibg about 6hr? Barry,s race 04, I think it was.
Old 24 May 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3409926)   #17
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
That was cold, much lower than 34 rear lets the tyres deform under acceleration.
As Mr Drabble obviously has come out of hibernation , who said anythibg about 6hr? Barry,s race 04, I think it was.
Interesting.
Next time at croft I will have a play to see if I can feel the difference.
N.
Old 25 May 2014, 03:03 (Ref:3410106)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Below thirty psi you should have been feeling the back end moving like a porpoising effect?
Old 25 May 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3410151)   #19
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Below thirty psi you should have been feeling the back end moving like a porpoising effect?
Slightly, Especially at anglesey onto back straight over the bump..Still very controllable and stable though..
One thing I have found is that it doesn't like trail braking..Its a case of all braking in a straight line and turn in off the brakes even if you think you're going a little too quick..

Its quite well balanced but a handful to push at the limit…trouble is that my limit seems to be about 5 seconds slower than the rest of the field at the mo

N.
Old 25 May 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3410498)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Get it all done in a straight line-trailing will give no advantage in the Griff because of the wheelbase.Just give it time before trying to push it, they dont mind biting back.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3426293)   #21
pattlega
Rookie

England
Brentwood, Essex
pattlega should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop Historic Racing Tyre Pressures

Running Lotus Cortina in HTC class with HSCC and trying to get to the bottom of tyre pressures. Have been running at 28psi Cold coming up to 32psi Hot BUT think this might be way too low. Pictures of car show tyre wall deflection that might suggest pressure too low. Found this article that talks of range of pressures between 32 and 43/44 psi. Spoke to another competitor who suggested they need be to be near 40psi hot. HTP Tyres appear vague in their guidance, as do Dunlop themselves.

Picture of me struggling to get anywhere near apex at Hairpin at Cadwell Park - Look at tyre.

Document attached too.

Rgds

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Hairpin Cadwell 2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Historic Tyres Manual.pdf (1.51 MB, 20 views)
Old 25 Jun 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3426386)   #22
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if it helps I run the MGB on 26 cold - they get up to 30 ish when hot.

Terrence are you really up to 30 plus cold on yours?
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3426402)   #23
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic but still concerning Dunlop CR65's.

There used to be a chart on Dunlop's website showing rev's/mile info for various tyre sizes. When i looked recently i couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link or hard copy i can beg?
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3426404)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
When I had it, yes.32 wet.They will move about a little but being a B etc.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3426406)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Slightly off topic but still concerning Dunlop CR65's.

There used to be a chart on Dunlop's website showing rev's/mile info for various tyre sizes. When i looked recently i couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link or hard copy i can beg?

Looks like HP have 'improved' their website! The info is still in individual tyre info, though. If you google 'dunlop historic race tyres revs per mile' you can find a chart in Canada, Czech Republic, and probably other countries as well! Tweeks have size charts for L and M on their site also.