Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2014, 05:47 (Ref:3463251)   #51
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Link doesn't work.

Searched for the article on that site and couldn't find a poll anywhere. What was it about?
I can't get the link to open, but it's here:

You are here:
news.com.au
Sport
Motorsport
V8 Supercars
motorsport
LATEST IN MOTORSPORT
Live Bathurst: Luff, Lowndes in huge crash V8 Supercars - Bathurst 1000: Practice & Top 10 Shootout
1 video
Video: Crash puts HRT car out of Bathurst V8 Supercars - Bathurst 1000: Practice & Top 10 Shootout
1 video
Dazzling Hamilton back on top F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Practice
1 video
Red Bull didn’t try to keep Vettel F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews
1 video
Bathurst 1000 2014: Ford to be killed off V8 Supercars circuit at end of 2015, ending iconic rivalry with Holden
2 DAYS AGO OCTOBER 10, 2014 11:49AM
Video Image
Ford's glorious history
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/e...n47vz9c5xuj3mc
FORD is dead, according to high level V8 Supercars officials, with Australia’s greatest sporting rivalry to be killed off by the end of next year.
In a Bathurst bombshell delivered on the week the last GT Falcon was built, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ford are set to axe V8 Supercars from their $60 million sponsorship war chest in a move that will end iconic Ford v Holden Mount Panorama racing war.
With the Falcon already dead and waiting to be buried, V8 officials have been told Ford will officially quit the sport at the end of the year and will not renew a multi-million dollar year deal with reigning Bathurst champions Ford Performance Racing (FPR).
READ THE FULL STORY AT THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
MORE: FORD’S DEPARTURE IS A DISASTER — DICK JOHNSON
MORE: FORD’S FIVE GREATEST BATHURST MOMENTS
Will Ford's departure from V8s ruin the sport?
Yes
No
VoteView Results
Tim Edwards denies Ford is abandoning V8 Supercars

Last edited by bluesport; 11 Oct 2014 at 05:53.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3463291)   #52
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
OK - so the poll is nothing at all to do with running the Mustang (or not).

It'll be a great shame if the article is correct and Ford does pull out as a sponsor (as the teams have confirmed they'll still be running Fords next year). From the article, it sounds like V8s have been meeting for Ford management & no doubt many things were discussed, whether running the Mustang was one of those things, we don't know at this stage.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3463296)   #53
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
OK - so the poll is nothing at all to do with running the Mustang (or not).

It'll be a great shame if the article is correct and Ford does pull out as a sponsor (as the teams have confirmed they'll still be running Fords next year). From the article, it sounds like V8s have been meeting for Ford management & no doubt many things were discussed, whether running the Mustang was one of those things, we don't know at this stage.
What are your thoughts, do you think it's time to allow more variety in engine specs and body type?
Old 11 Oct 2014, 10:17 (Ref:3463298)   #54
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
What are your thoughts, do you think it's time to allow more variety in engine specs and body type?
Body type - possibly but it'll need to be done carefully so that any coupe bodied car looks like the road car but parity is maintained. Can't imagine it'd be a simple process.

Engine is a harder one - there's a part of me that would like to see the V8s remain the power plant needed - it just gives the race cars a little bit of mongrel and edge in my view.

Problem is going to be that the motor industry is producing less V8s so manufacturers may question the relevance to their products. I would think that if other engine types are going to be part of it, the tech rules are going to need some serious work and air restrictors may well be the go out of a commonly located air box.

I have to say that my preference is to stay V8 (pushrod or not) but the time may come to change - the big question is whether or not that should be 2016.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3463305)   #55
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Body type - possibly but it'll need to be done carefully so that any coupe bodied car looks like the road car but parity is maintained. Can't imagine it'd be a simple process.

Engine is a harder one - there's a part of me that would like to see the V8s remain the power plant needed - it just gives the race cars a little bit of mongrel and edge in my view.

Problem is going to be that the motor industry is producing less V8s so manufacturers may question the relevance to their products. I would think that if other engine types are going to be part of it, the tech rules are going to need some serious work and air restrictors may well be the go out of a commonly located air box.

I have to say that my preference is to stay V8 (pushrod or not) but the time may come to change - the big question is whether or not that should be 2016.
The possible problem that I see is that if the category doesn't act and manufacturers or teams leave, there could be insufficient cars on the grid to remain a viable proposition.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3463325)   #56
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
The possible problem that I see is that if the category doesn't act and manufacturers or teams leave, there could be insufficient cars on the grid to remain a viable proposition.
True - but the timing will be the thing. If you look at it now for example, Holden (GM) Ford, Mercedes-Benz and Nissan all have V8 engined road cars. Of others that might choose to start racing, Chrysler, Hyundai, BMW, Lexus & Jaguar as examples all have V8s.

GM, M-B, Chrysler & Ford are all heavily committed to V8s in their road cars so for the medium term, that may be enough.

On the other hand, look at Volvo - running in the series and using the V8 race car heavily in their marketing for non V8 road cars - they've certainly done WAY more leveraging of the V8 racing than Ford have done in years.

So the race cars have some relevance to road cars, all good. To me the big doubt is over what impact the new TV deal might have on demographics and exposure, I see that as a far bigger risk than coupe bodies or not, V8 engines or not.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3463332)   #57
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There have been more manufacturers join than there has been leave in the last 20 years

I don't get the doomsday prophecy...
Old 11 Oct 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3463432)   #58
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Some quotes direct from Ford - neither in nor out is the short version, decision after this season:http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/11/...passion-rises/
Old 11 Oct 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3463440)   #59
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
There have been more manufacturers join than there has been leave in the last 20 years

I don't get the doomsday prophecy...
Grid sizes have gotten smaller though, and Ford are leaving (so this thread title suggests), question mark over holden after 2017, Betty could get sick of pouring her own money down the supercar drain...........ie the category could have eight manufacturers but still only have sixteen cars on the grid..........I'm just not sure that the category is as healthy as the spin doctors like to pretend it is.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3463468)   #60
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.authcom.com/ford-consider...ecoboost-lmp2/
Old 11 Oct 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3463496)   #61
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe ecoboost is what they want in supercars too.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3463502)   #62
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So Ford are showing off their new XR8 Falcon at the mount this weekend no doubt leveraging their past history at Bathurst and yet they're planning on bailing out with no thought to the future.

Pretty poor form if you ask me-and if any other manufacturer did that I'd say the same thing
Old 11 Oct 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3463507)   #63
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So Ford are showing off their new XR8 Falcon at the mount this weekend no doubt leveraging their past history at Bathurst and yet they're planning on bailing out with no thought to the future.

Pretty poor form if you ask me-and if any other manufacturer did that I'd say the same thing
Given the amount of money they have poured into the category over the years, don't they deserve to leverage it??

You had Volvo leveraging it last year with Richo in an S60 doing parade laps and not only was Volvo not in the series at the time, they had a grand total of just 3 works attacks on Bathurst in the history of the event (1986, 1997 and 1998)
Old 12 Oct 2014, 00:48 (Ref:3463554)   #64
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Volvo was coming into the series the next year as opposed to leaving it
Old 12 Oct 2014, 02:56 (Ref:3463640)   #65
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that Graziano is stating that they are still in negotiations with the teams would suggest something is going on, could be dollars, vehicle model choice etc. Penske involvement may also mean a change in support back to that team again.
I'd like to remain positive and keep supporting the brand as long as they are in the game.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3464206)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There were quite a few XR8's just laying around in the carpark at Bathurst.. Amazing just how many fans were taking pics of them

Ford should find it hard to remove support with a fresh Bathurst win under their belt. Stranger things have happened though
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Oct 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3464220)   #67
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford going nowhere

It seems the title of this thread needs to be changed: http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/13/...hurst-triumph/
Old 12 Oct 2014, 22:37 (Ref:3464235)   #68
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edwards playing with words. Yes they'll receive support from Ford by way of panels etc for the new car. Whether that translates into actual financial support remains to be seen.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3464242)   #69
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
It seems the title of this thread needs to be changed: http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/13/...hurst-triumph/
If Ford do continue, it just shows you how full of it Mr Phelps is.

unless it goes the other way??

The waiting game continues...
Old 12 Oct 2014, 23:39 (Ref:3464246)   #70
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
If Ford do continue, it just shows you how full of it Mr Phelps is.

unless it goes the other way??

The waiting game continues...
Yesterdays result can't hurt the cause.........if Ford don't want to be involved after that effort, then they really should sit back and take stock of themselves because something is wrong.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3464265)   #71
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately history has shown us that Ford have some weird and for the most insipid marketing strategies. They have rarely built on the success in V8 Supercars that they have enjoyed unlike Holden who seem to be a bit better at it.

Even the colour of the XR8 they chose to lap at Bathurst was a poor choice, IMO. Black and brown? C'mon...
Old 13 Oct 2014, 02:05 (Ref:3464279)   #72
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would call it gold, and some people like that colour. It was the 'hero' colour of a Commodore going back a bit.

I have to admit that the Ford Australia marketing would have to be the worst in the Ford world, if not the entire automotive world. Just totally abysmal.

However, they are aware of the benefits of V8 Supercar participation and the brand loyalty it promotes. And just by being involved and letting the results speak for themselves is nine tenths of the equation.

Even if their future official involvement is minimal, the Ford versus Holden battle will go on into the future.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 05:08 (Ref:3464304)   #73
one five five
Veteran

I find it hard to believe that the result of one motor race (no matter how big) will influence the decision.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3464308)   #74
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed - one result isnt going to change the direction of a national marketing and brand strategy.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3464370)   #75
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good point. The person/people in the states that are making the call probably aren't even aware it was on....