Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Mar 2018, 05:16 (Ref:3808462)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gen 3 Rules Are Coming...

Story Here

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Mar 2018, 05:22 (Ref:3808463)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Evolution rather than revolution"

They said that about the Car Of The Future/Next Generation/Car Of The Today platform
They also said that about the Gen2 platform
They now say the same thing about Gen3

Can we please get a new record and DJ?
Old 17 Mar 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3808553)   #3
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny that they're talking about Gen3 as Gen2 almost didn't happen. The first truly Gen2 car will be ZB with V6 TT under the bonnet.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 02:36 (Ref:3808758)   #4
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
“Triple Eight and General Motors are obviously investigating the V6 twin-turbo, and maybe there is something we could look at from hybridising our existing drivetrain.
Really?

Hybrid technology in racing is 100% only to promote manufacturers greenness, I can only see this putting costs up for no impact on the show.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 05:56 (Ref:3808789)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't believe he was referring to what we call hybrid energy vehicles.

More or less the way in which they're asperated.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 06:19 (Ref:3808794)   #6
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was talking in the biological sense.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3808807)   #7
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I don't believe he was referring to what we call hybrid energy vehicles. More or less the way in which they're asperated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
He was talking in the biological sense.
I believe you are both wrong:

Quote:
It is a view echoed by Shell V-Power Racing managing director Ryan Story although he feels there is always room for improvement and the ability to embrace new technology.

The Penske run team operates without a manufacturer alliance, and while it continues to seek a partner, Story reckons the category can survive without true manufacturer teams.

“I think there are things to optimise the rule set that we are under now and there are other technologies that we should look to embrace in the future,” Story told Speedcafe.com.

“Triple Eight and General Motors are obviously investigating the V6 twin-turbo, and maybe there is something we could look at from hybridising our existing drivetrain.

“There are a number of technologies we can look to incorporate if we are thinking more about market relevance without jeopardising the strength of our existing platform.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3808813)   #8
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Something to look forward to, going from roaring V8's to the tyre squeal of hybrids. Not to mention short races or 30 minute pitstops to recharge batteries, just saying.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3808816)   #9
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NFI !
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3808820)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, so the word hybrid only refers to EV. Got it.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3808899)   #11
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, electric vehicles is the way of car industry in not a distant future. I can't see Supercars surviving relying on a few year old V8 Falcons and 20 V6 Holdens. I think it's time for bigger changes if Supercars is going to survive.

Or maybe we will have SuperHolden Cup, a perfect series for Dane, Dutton and all these arrogant guys wanting to boost their egos.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 02:21 (Ref:3809529)   #12
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to see what happens when someone wants to run a different motor to everyone else.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 02:50 (Ref:3809532)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Or maybe we will have SuperHolden Cup, a perfect series for Dane, Dutton and all these arrogant guys wanting to boost their egos.
Gotta love how the guys who have redefined what success means in Supercars are perceived as arrogant. Arrogant means you think you are that good but you are not.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Mar 2018, 03:08 (Ref:3809534)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

I think they've earned the right to be a touch arrogant.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 07:05 (Ref:3809541)   #15
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I want to see what happens when someone wants to run a different motor to everyone else.
You'd want to use a dc motor with 100% torque at 0 RPM, then to limit max power you'd install the mother of all rheostats for easy parity power adjustment at the twist of a dial.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3809605)   #16
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there a way Gen 3 can make the cars more like these? The turbo fours and sixes are definitely a good start at least. The modern "Supercars" are intolerably bland for supposed "touring cars".

Old 21 Mar 2018, 23:19 (Ref:3809750)   #17
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Group A without the 500 evolution models could work.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 00:55 (Ref:3809762)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Is there a way Gen 3 can make the cars more like these? The turbo fours and sixes are definitely a good start at least. The modern "Supercars" are intolerably bland for supposed "touring cars".
I was gonna say put on some rose-tinted glasses but you clearly already have them on.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 01:28 (Ref:3809769)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Bland? As much as I disagree with a lot of things to do with the category these days I cannot say they are bland or boring for that. They could shoot a bit more flame but blame the fuel for that. Compared to other touring cars around (even the bewinged DTM racers) they are lot more exciting as a racecar to watch and listen to.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 02:28 (Ref:3809773)   #20
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

You poor souls don't know how good you really have it down there... Up here we'd KILL for a touring car series as exciting as Supercars is.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3810601)   #21
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Beginning to doubt the point of having Gen 3 regulations when it is highly likely it will become a one make series after Nissan pull the plug and the Ford's become obsolete and fade away without a replacement. Holden must be wondering what is the value of continuing funding what is becoming the Commodore Cup.

As much as I like the V8's, with only 1 manufacturer supporting the series, it's days are numbered.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3810633)   #22
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Beginning to doubt the point of having Gen 3 regulations when it is highly likely it will become a one make series after Nissan pull the plug and the Ford's become obsolete and fade away without a replacement. Holden must be wondering what is the value of continuing funding what is becoming the Commodore Cup.

As much as I like the V8's, with only 1 manufacturer supporting the series, it's days are numbered.
Weren't the modernized rules supposed to make it possible for individual teams to skin the car however they want in case of manufacturer withdrawal? (kinda like our Trans Am series - no manufacturer support at all, but five different models from three manufacturers still race)

Or was that aim abandoned at some point?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3810978)   #23
Matt K
Veteran

I think that V8 fans should start thinking a little bit outside the box and realize that Supercars can still be a great championship with different engines. I know, V8s are incredible with its sound and legacy and all that stuff but not in a distant future only electric cars will be produced.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3811046)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Open engine formula combined with spec engine and also teams building competative cars without factory support works in BTCC. Why couldn't this work in SC?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3811084)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Zak Brown did an interview with Foges for Auto Fiction: Zak's view of the Supercar future
Some big calls for the future being considered this year, no doubt about it.