Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:33 (Ref:799842)   #1
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Main Event Success Or Failure

Forget the racing for one moment, I am interested in your thoughts, the whole promo aspect as to its success or failure.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:41 (Ref:799845)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
- I liked the free ice cream
- I didnt like not being able to buy cold bottled water from early Sunday morning
- I didnt like the pitlane/circuit losing power and knocking out the screens, and the PA to know what was happening... it had occurred earlier in the weekend so they should have had backups, or some other contingency planning
- I liked the shuttle bus concept
- I didnt like the long queues to get in the gate, and again to get into pitlane
- I liked the Superscreens, they were close to where I was on occassion, to know what was happening
- I didnt think the crowd numbers were significantly higher than the April version, although the new kids playground seemed quite full during the day
More to follow...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:00 (Ref:799852)   #3
Deano
Rookie

Deano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The shoot-out was a boring joke. The drama and excitement didn't go from start to finish like it normally does. Once Ambrose, Ingal, Skaife, Murph and Toddler went out, you knew it was all over.

Luckily, it did not cause any repercussions to the event, although more by good fortune than good planning. One of the SBR guys kept coming out and measuring the track temp, and from what we could see over his shoulder (one level up in the corporate boxes) it varied about 5 degrees over the entire shootout.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:01 (Ref:799853)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
- I didnt like the lack of toilets in the paddock area, and the queues to go into something that wasnt exactly pristine
- I didnt like ducking and weaving to get under the staircases that went up to the corporate suites and media centre.
- I did like the hot chips at the fish and chips caravan at the non-control tower end of the circuit
- I didnt like the lack of shaded areas on the outside of the track to hide under when the sun was at its fiercest
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:05 (Ref:799857)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
- I didnt like not knowing who was where in the race unless near a teev screen. Eastern Creek should be buying the Questek timing tower from the Bathurst reconstruction and plugging it in near the control tower
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:16 (Ref:799865)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
- I didnt like that the support categories were weak, 3 one make series, the old big bangers and the lamo F4000 being the only other entertainment for the weekend...
- I didnt enjoy the shootour particularly, it seemed to be made for the teev, but the oncourse commentary sucked bigtime in understanding who was where... (they were reading the bottom of the #10 screen most of the time)
- I didnt like parking in a muddy carpark, and coming back to the Magna with a reasonable amount of mud on it from other cars' spray...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:23 (Ref:799868)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
- I did like the Caltex ladies handing out free sunscreen to all and sundry. A great gesture, better than a free icecream...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:27 (Ref:799870)   #8
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, only got the "edited version", but i think the whole field shootout is a dunger.

How many times throughout the year are we going to have it scrapped because not everyone's conditions are the same?

Maybe ok as a novelty but i wouldn't like to see it a permanent or regular thing.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:29 (Ref:799872)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If they are going to have a full field shootout, there needs to be a relaxation of the 105% rule, or indeed the car must achieve within 105% (103% for 2004) of the fastest in the aggregated practice sessions...

In the case of the top 10 shootout, if a car breaks and wobbles around, they have a guaranteed start position of 10th, whereas there is still a limitation on the full field version.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:45 (Ref:799879)   #10
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "crowd" figures from the press conference were 40,000 people for 3 days. Multiply by the entrance fee and it was a roaring sucess. GTR suncreen may have come from WW cheap ??
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:47 (Ref:799880)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking to some people who went, they didn't seem to notice much of a difference compared to the other Eastern Creek event this year.

And really, are a couple of big screens and free ice cream going to set a higher standard for others.

All i can say about the 35 car shootout is i'm glad all we saw of it was abit of Skaife's lap.

And seeing as this was TC's big showpiece event showing everyone else how to do it, why didn't we see him interviewed once over the weekend. For once i was looking forward to see what stuff he was going to blurt out.....
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:48 (Ref:799881)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I was 3 of those people again, so that means its maybe 15,000 as a crowd??

The Sunscreen was branded with the Caltex Havoline logo... so was the real deal SPF 30+ But then Caltex always did do right by its customers and shareholders...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:51 (Ref:799883)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, i thought you loved the one make series'.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:59 (Ref:799887)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
At a meeting of the premier category of motorsport in this country, Aussie Racers & MGF trophy are hardly appropriate.

We need the Renault Clio Cup and fast. Not run by MoPro but Renault themselves through someone like Goolds....
Old 1 Dec 2003, 06:57 (Ref:799922)   #15
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon they's be better off with Group 'N' and FF and Saloon Cars.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 07:45 (Ref:799967)   #16
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Caltex always did do right by its customers and shareholders...

Getting plenty of attention at the moment aren't they?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 1 Dec 2003, 07:45 (Ref:799969)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What has the Minister for Defence and motor business got in common?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 1 Dec 2003, 08:11 (Ref:799988)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wondered that too... perhaps they are going to send Ingall over to Iraq to do a number on the rebels?
Old 1 Dec 2003, 08:12 (Ref:799990)   #19
jas105
Rookie

jas105 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
What has the Minister for Defence and motor business got in common?
TC saw little jonney at the tennis and though quick we need a polli and he was the only one home.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:07 (Ref:800039)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SHRT have been a big corporate supporter of the Australian Defence Force for a number of years, promoting the team & drivers with both potential and new recruits within the ADF, and an interchange of assisting the defence recruitment arm to set up Army or Navy or Air Force careers stands at some championship rounds.

The defence department is also a good customer of Holden, so it does all make sense.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:11 (Ref:800044)   #21
zonda
Rookie

zonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 40,000 for the weekend ? Jesus the Bathurst 24hr had that many people, whilst that was considered a success, i would have thought the V8's would have pulled a bigger crowd considering the promotion they have and so forth.

dave
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:29 (Ref:800322)   #22
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe NSW just had too many sporting events in such a short space of time, since the start of October they've had three big motor races, the NRL grand final plus the Rugby World Cup.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:59 (Ref:800351)   #23
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
I wondered that too... perhaps they are going to send Ingall over to Iraq to do a number on the rebels?
Yeah give Ingall a one way ticket to Iraq never to return.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 20:00 (Ref:800643)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interestingly, the 24hr race had constant on-the-hour ads on Sydney radio for 2 weeks before the event, free tickets abounded in return for making a d!ick of yourself....

.... while there was virtually nothing about this round.

Would there have been such a write up in the papers round the country if they didnt have the art of Skaife acting like a pork chop, and the controversy surrounding all of that?

I dont think the media plan was executed well at all
Old 2 Dec 2003, 01:16 (Ref:800936)   #25
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
FAILURE But don't ask TC he will give you another version
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish