Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:17 (Ref:857496)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie: Imola To Stage Last GP

"Imola is at its last edition: from 2005 it'll be out of the calendar. So Italy will have only one race," Ecclestone told Italy's sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

"From next year Turkey will be on the calendar," He continued. "With Korea there's already an agreement starting from 2009. But before then we'll have a World Championship race in India. The only problem with several races in Asia is the time difference for live TV in Europe. But from 2004 we predict the number of Chinese spectators will already be the same as the entire European audience.

"Germany will carry on with two: just last Wednesday we've reached a new agreement for the Nurburgring. After all, the presence of the German industry in F1 is still very important.

"I can't see a future for Silverstone either, as it's like an old house which allows itself only some touching up: an access road, a parking lot. Big deal! It needs serious reconstruction, but the current owners are not willing to finance it."

"We could easily get to 20," he said.

Complete story at Atlas F1-pay and most other sites I suppose

Seems like Imola and Silverstone are on the go, but he's said this 10 million times, too...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:24 (Ref:857502)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About time Imola was abandoned. It's a dull track that produces stuff-all racing. Add Hungary into it and he's going strong.

However, I wish he'd leave Silverstone alone. Britain deserves a GP more than any other country out there. Frankly, THEY should be getting two instead of the Germans...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:04 (Ref:857539)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that Britain GP is a MUST, considering the number of teams based there.

However, there is no doubt that upcoming races boast really impressive and updated facilities...The whole design and landscaping is beatiful and integrated.

The old-school circuits need major upgrading to match. No longer can old airfields or mildly tweaked club circuit satisfy the man who insisted that team-trucks must be parked inch perfect.

I'd really miss older circuits due to their rather natural flow in their circuit layout, but it would be really good if while retainin the circuit, the surrounding is made into a mega racing complex.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:04 (Ref:857540)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think that Bernie is true with (some) statements regarding Silverstone.
I last went in 2000 and the place is a dive.

It does need serious work, although I think the actual track is fine, though I wish they would change the Maggots/Beckets/Chapel section to make it easier to follow down Hangar straight.

I cannot believe there isn't the money, a ticket to Silverstone is practically the most expensive GP apart from Suzuka, Monaco is cheaper than Silverstone.

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Jan 2004 at 13:06.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 14:44 (Ref:857613)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In addition to the terrible memories Imola brings about, it's not really that great a circuit. All those chicanes don't make for overtaking, excitement, or a real driving challenge. It's not as bad as the Hungaroring or Barcelona as a pure racetrack, but I accept that they represent significant markets (Spain especially as Alonso stars) whereas Italy has Monza - a true classic which must remain.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:06 (Ref:857640)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to see the back of Imola - never liked it. As for comments on Silverstone, I don't think we'll see the end of the British Grand Prix- Bernie makes these comments all the time.

Most of the teams are British and want to race here - I know Ron Dennis and Frank Williams have done a lot of work to safeguard the British Grand Prix.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:36 (Ref:857668)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola may not be the most exciting track in the world, but that can be fixed. Would you really rather go to places like India, Korea, and China?

There are no more passionate F1 fans than the Italians are, and that needs to be taken into consideration when contemplating such a move. Go to the Far East, and you will have Sepang all over again, empty stands and fans that lack any passion for the sport.

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:43 (Ref:857673)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a Grand Prix is meant to be special though - and that's devalued if you have two a year in the same country.

Italy will now only have one Grand Prix a year - as it should be.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:45 (Ref:857674)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Bernie: Imola To Stage Last GP

Quote:
As mentioned by Bernie zzzzzzzzzzzz

"I can't see a future for Silverstone either, as it's like an old house which allows itself only some touching up: an access road, a parking lot. Big deal! It needs serious reconstruction, but the current owners are not willing to finance it."

I'm sure that Bernie reads these pages and says these sort of things just to annoy us. I know that Bernie has made F1 into what it is today, but i won't miss these statements of his once he's gone!

BTW, Jordi, when i read the title of the thread, i thought it meant that Bernie was swapping Brazil for Imola, what an entertaining last race of the season that would have made
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:22 (Ref:857745)   #10
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola has the most beautiful setting of any current track - unfortunately the chicanes which pock it at the moment make for dull races. No country is entitled to a race but I'll be sorry to see it go. If it were only slightly altered it could be the best track on the calender.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:25 (Ref:857748)   #11
Scrutineer78
Racer

Scrutineer78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Imola should stay on the schedule. As many bad memories it has, it is history. Silverstone should stay as well. Both circuits are part of F1 lore.

I agree with Bernie in the sense that the "World" Championship should be a "World" championship but at the same time Bernie needs to remember who watches his races on TV by his own admission where most of it comes from. If he abandons Europe will the people get bored if they don't have a GP to go to?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:07 (Ref:857793)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like another quote from him attributed to the same story at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3447555.stm

Quote:

He said: "Believe me, in the next 10 years, Europe will slide down to the level of the third world in economic terms. It doesn't have the slightest chance of competing with China, South Korea, India."

What a
Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:09 (Ref:857794)   #13
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good. see no reason why the " I ties" should get two gp's a year.

Cant wait until we get rid of the ****-burgring. Germany should have two gp's either.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:30 (Ref:857819)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the perspective of North America, the strongest appeal of Formula 1(tm) was its European character. The prospect of Formula 1 without a race in Britain is more than I care to imagine. Of course, Bernie is correct to point out the long traditon of Motorsports in India, China and Turkey. We all know the enourmous contribution that the Hindustan Ambassador has made to Motorsports History and accounting for the huge influx of Indian and Chinese Automobiles at all levels of the International car market and the the fact that most of the Formula One Teams are located outside of Shanghai, it all makes perfect sense to me.

Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:50 (Ref:857841)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem with me if they want to swap Imola for Turkey. Imola has been transformed into a lame circuit since the tragedies of Ratzenberger and Senna in 94. Imola 2002 ranks as the most boring race I've ever seen.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:16 (Ref:857950)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
From the perspective of North America, the strongest appeal of Formula 1(tm) was its European character. The prospect of Formula 1 without a race in Britain is more than I care to imagine. Of course, Bernie is correct to point out the long traditon of Motorsports in India, China and Turkey. We all know the enourmous contribution that the Hindustan Ambassador has made to Motorsports History and accounting for the huge influx of Indian and Chinese Automobiles at all levels of the International car market and the the fact that most of the Formula One Teams are located outside of Shanghai, it all makes perfect sense to me.

Right on, brother EERO!

Abandon your fan base, and F1 will go down the same route that CART did here in the states.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:34 (Ref:857984)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its quite obvious to myself, and many other ex-F1 fans looking at what is the sad excuse for a sport that is F1 today, if they carry on as they are it will implode up its own backside before too long.

The sport is systematically disowning its most loyal fan base, in return for short termist greed in Asia and the far east.

Sure have a race in China, and one or two in the middle east, but as we go on it is becoming increasingly obvious that F1 wants to abandon all of Europe with the exception of Germany and Monte Carlo (F1 has to keep the rich and famous happy afterall).

You'd think by Bernies attitude F1 was in the rudest of health. The reality is far from the truth. A number of manufactuers are reviewing there F1 programs due to a lack of success and escalating costs.

Plus you have the enourmous problem that there are no obvious teams who have the fiances or inclination to enter F1, only to be lapped numerous times by the rest of the manufactuer cars. Hardly an appealing prospect for teams who are used to being at the sharp end at Le Mans, DTM, IRL, Champ Car etc.

As for old-school circuits. Sure safety should never be compromised but F1 needs more old school classic circuits, not glorified Go-Kart circuits who only seem to be concerned about providing the latest and greatest hospitality and media facilities.

Last edited by JAG; 31 Jan 2004 at 20:39.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 21:19 (Ref:858063)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really do with Ecclestone would change the f*****g record about Silverstone...every year it's the same..Silverstone make the comnmitments to change, like agreeeing to move the pits the other side of the circuit etc., that Ecclestone wants and then a couple of months later wumph he's off on one again.
Lets think about it from Silverstones perspective? How much money do they actually make from the GP..not enough to put up with this bull**** every year...Bernie..go...take it to India, Pakistan wherever I for one and thoroughly sick of it all
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:05 (Ref:858121)   #19
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie has been banging on about the World Championship being exactly that, but will insist on two GPs in Germany (ever since '95). This is surely the first thing that needs to be sorted out before axing another countries GP and introducing another.
It pains me to see the European GP at the same country every year

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Son of Jor-El; 31 Jan 2004 at 22:09.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:12 (Ref:858132)   #20
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Son of Jor-El
Bernie has been banging on about the World Championship being exactly that, but will insist on two GPs in Germany (ever since '95). This is surely the first thing that needs to be sorted out before axing another countries GP and introducing another.

Germany will always have 2 races until both Schumachers retire. European GP is just an excuse to have 2 races in Germany, same as calling Imola the San Marino GP
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:20 (Ref:858141)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The European GP should be alternative as it was in the old days....
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:22 (Ref:858151)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Son of Jor-El

You have a valid point Jor-el, and I'm not real sure of why the European GP is always held in Germany. :confused:

It might be a good idea, to make the Euro GP, a floating GP. Actually, wasn't that the purpose of calling it the European GP in the first place?

Visiting a different country every year, would be the ticket, especially countries that have lost a steady GP.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:33 (Ref:858166)   #23
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
Germany will always have 2 races until both Schumachers retire. European GP is just an excuse to have 2 races in Germany, same as calling Imola the San Marino GP
Fair point about the double Italian GPs, of which I am glad that one is being axed. But for Bernie to be so vocal about there being a "global" c'ship and clearly stating that other European GPs will cease as a consequence, Germany hosting 2 GPs is hypocritcal of his objective.

Sorry about my rantings, I know this an Imola thread!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:46 (Ref:858189)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
The European GP should be alternative as it was in the old days....
That would be fairer imo.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:11 (Ref:858233)   #25
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cancel that stupid hockenheim gp, i hate the new circuit