Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Nov 2000, 20:08 (Ref:50345)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Italian parliament will probably pass a new noise pollution law next month of which Ferrari looks set to escape.

The law aims to limit noise at race tracks to 70 decibels, about the same level a F3 car produces. An exception has been allowed for motor racing events, so tracks such as Monza and Imola could continue holding events 12 days per year.

It was thought, however, that the legislation could affect Ferrari's testing activities on their own tracks of Mugello and Fiorano. The Italian team put in around 100 days of testing at the tracks this season in its quest to win both the drivers' and constructors' championships, so losing track time on these circuits could seriously disrupt its efforts in 2001.

A source close to Ferrari said: 'It is almost certain that a compromise will be reached. It would be strange for an Italian law to punish Ferrari.'

It is believed that Ferrari and the Italian Government will reach an agreement that will allow the team to continue testing at Fiorano and Mugello.

Do you think this is fair? Shouldn't a noise pollution law count for everyone and everything?
Old 29 Nov 2000, 23:40 (Ref:50367)   #2
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the Ferrari test tracks near any residential areas? It would be rather unfair if residents had to muffle their lawnmowers while being blasted by the F1-2001 grand prix car for 100 days per year. I guess it depends on what noise sources the legislation is targeting. If the test tracks are being targeted as the source of justifiable local complaint, then it doesn't seem to make much sense to exempt them. If they aren't, should they be shut down for the sake of equal treatment with the noise polluters who are impacting communities? Surely impact on the communities affected by the noise makers should be the criterion.

Although that impact has to be correctly estimated. In Vancouver here, there has been a big uproar coming from a tiny minority of apartment dwellers, who instead of enjoying the race from their balconies, do everything they can to get the CART race shut down. These people would stop the race if they could, regardless of the money it brings into the city, and regardless of the enjoyment it obviously brings to thousands of people. This sort of community impact can rightly be disregarded, IMO.

If Ferrari is driving its neighbours crazy then the authorities may have to decide where the real community interest lies, with the Ferrari/Fiat activities, or with the residents. Or they may have to decide between communities: the larger ones benefiting from Ferrari/Fiat, or the locals.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 00:40 (Ref:50377)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which were there first, the Ferrari test tracks or the neighbourhoods? I think that would have a lot to say about whose rights were paramount.

We had a bunch of idiots in Atlanta buy houses at the end of the airport's main runway and then file lawsuits because of the noise. Predictably and quite correctly, their suit was thrown out. The airport was there first.

We have the same kind of crybabies here in Toronto every year come race week, but nobody pays attention to them, and so far they have not done anything but whinge.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 02:27 (Ref:50386)   #4
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can not speak on their behalf, but perhaps the italian people will consider it a treat to hear the F1-2001 rather than a nuisance. I know I would!
Old 30 Nov 2000, 03:22 (Ref:50393)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah neutral, i would gladly exchange residence with anybody there who hates the music of Ferrari cars. But i think even if there are, it would be a very small minority.

Not only do residents try to run away from the tracks during testing, they run TO the track to see Ferrari in action.

They would draw up the curtains to look at the Ferrari's go by better...

They would "muffle their lawnmowers" just to hear THAT music better...

Those italians has the utmost respect and love for Ferrari, who afterall brought those humble folks onto the world map!
Old 30 Nov 2000, 09:46 (Ref:50425)   #6
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a pet hate of mine , although I think I am fair minded enough to see those who complain about the noise's view I do think some of the limits applied are ridiculous - look at the stringent rules at Goodwood for example , I was slung out a few months back after going off the scale at only half revs. and yet 10 minutes later a helicopter landed and for the rest of the day there were light aircraft and choppers coming and going freely ! People who buy a house near a racetrack know it could be noisy - just like those who buy a house near Heathrow Airport realise it might be advisable to buy earplugs , its not like racetracks are getting noisier and noisier.
Goodwood actually has microphones on the straight linked directly into the council offices and they can phone and shut the place down at the drop of a hat.
Surely somewhere in amongst all this there is a decent compromise.......
Old 30 Nov 2000, 10:59 (Ref:50434)   #7
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I am an italian citizen and yes, Fiorano is near to a residential area. But the people who live there love Ferrari and don't care about the noise. They just love Ferrari! Don't even think of a law that is bad for the beloved Scuderia. I'm no Ferrari-freak, but I know some. And forbidding testings to Ferrari would lead to terrible terroristical act's and at least demonstrations! (lol)
Old 30 Nov 2000, 15:45 (Ref:50477)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well,

Over in the UK they have restricted noise to 105 dB at 1m from the exhaust. However F1 and other "international" classes, and vintage/historics are exempt. I believe an F3 produces far more than 70 dB but it may depend on the distance from the noise source. If its at the trackside rather than 1m from the exhaust I doubt that any (other than F1) cars would have a peoblem.