Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1312313)   #1
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise

I was lucky enough to be at the Monaco GP last week and a point that I would like to bring up is the noise of the cars. I try and go to a different race each year and have done so for the last 12 years. The Williams BMW was for me by far the loudest F1 car I have ever heard. I don't know if it was the nature of the street circuit but each time the Williams traction control kicked in the noise was so loud that it almost went through you! Any of you folks who have been to a GP this year was it as loud there and for any of you folks going to a race this season check it out.....PS Over the three days at Monaco I watched from three different places and I have to say Kimi.....one word......Perfect.
Old 28 May 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1312328)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Williams BMW's were loud last year, for sure. However, the noisiest car I found was the BAR Honda (which of course wasn't at Monaco). It is a really shrieky, screaming, ridiculously amplified sound. Amazing. The Ferrari had a great sound, it's strange though in an undescribable way. And in terms of lameness, the Jaguars and Jordans were tops........really weak sounding.

Can't wait to hear this years batch! The noise of a GP weekend is one of the greatest things known to man.
Old 28 May 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1312329)   #3
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yeh, I went to the Melbourne GP, the Williams was definitely loud, the BAR i thought was the loudest. Jordan's ALWAYS sounded sick, it was comical! The Minardi's actually had a nice sound, not really very rough, must be the Cossie in the back.

Ferrari sound = NICE

Two observations I made, Fisi isn't as smooth as everyone says, and Doornbos looked good too.
Old 28 May 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1312333)   #4
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
knowlesy-great minds think alike!
Old 28 May 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1312390)   #5
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Doing start-finish at the Australian GP, I could listen to the cars going past at both full noise, and on the pit lane limiter and the Williams where the loudest, followed by BAR on the straight, but on the limiter, you couldn't here the MacLarens, but the Hondas where snarling, popping and banging along pit lane.
Old 28 May 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1312442)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
"knowlesy" and "great minds" dont normally feature in the same sentence...
Old 28 May 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1312484)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I remember going to a test session back in 2000, and the McLaren Mercades of Panis's car was so distinctive.

Best noise ever was the V12 of the 1994 Ferrari (Bergers old Ferrari being raced at Brands in the Euroboss series )

Have to agree with knowlesy, can't wait to hear the cars at Silverstone. The first car i hear, no matter what one it is always raises the hackles on my neck, a fantastic sound

Incidently, anyone going to Silverstone who is sitting at Farm must wear earplugs (in the right ear at least), first time in 7 years of going that i got earache due to sitting too close to the track.
Old 28 May 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1312545)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
One of the best F1 sounds is hearing the cars ticking over in the garages.

But I agree, I went to the Silverstone summer test in 04' and the GP in July, and the BAR's were by far the loudest to my ears.
Old 28 May 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1312556)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
heh, that was uncanny!
Old 28 May 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1312797)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really looking forward to listening to the F1 cars in real life for the first time at Silverstone this year.
Old 28 May 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1312831)   #11
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sound is one of the most incredible things. One of my friends who has virtually no interest in motorsport was amazed by the sound they made and said that was the best part of the day. Agree with you there Mr V those V12 Ferrari's are BEAUTIFUL to listen to....esp at the back on the brands gp circuit
Old 28 May 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1312847)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first time I saw an F1 car in anger was Friday qualifying at Silverstone in 1995. Berger was the first onto the track in the V12 Ferrari, man what a sound, and what a way to be introduced to F1
Shame I never went again, and never saw the race
Old 28 May 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1312849)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I'm really looking forward to listening to the F1 cars in real life for the first time at Silverstone this year.
You will love it. The sound is fabulous, the atmosphere is addictive. I'm still having withdrawal symptoms after last years GP!
Old 29 May 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1313783)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also thought the Honda engine is the loudest this year, from tests mainly (as they were not in Spain for the GP)

However, in 2003-4 Ferrari seemed to me quite loud, and the Cosworth sounded quite "mean", with a more of a "rawr" than a shriek sound.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1315596)   #15
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also at the Melbourne Grand Prix, but thought that BAR have toned down a little from last year. As they were real screamers last season almost tearing out the eardrums.
Old 31 May 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1315746)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The last year that teams where allowed to change engines for the race was the loudest that I have ever heard the engines. The longer that the FIA have made the engines last, the less "on edge" they have sounded.
Old 31 May 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1315795)   #17
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still, these shrieky ol' V10's don't sound a patch on the 1950's BRM V16.

Personally, I prefer real V8's. Cars that you can feel as they come past. Try a historic Can-Am race with McLaren M8's and similar. That is sonic attack big time!

Rob.