Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2557730)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bin lids bin lids bin lids ... OUT OUT OUT!

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...08094902.shtml

Bin lids! OUT!
Bin lids! OUT!
Bin lids, bin lids, bin lids! OUT OUT OUT!

/me calms down ...

Auto Motor und Sport are reporting that the teams have agreed to get rid of those infernal dustbin lids ... let's hope it actually happens. Might help overtaking, although I would agree with Sam Michael that it isn't a silver bullet.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2557734)   #2
M30TGV
Rookie

United Kingdom
M30TGV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's good news. They do seem to add to the aero issues with regard to passing. And of course the well documented safey issues. With them gone and refuelling gone, the pit stops next year will be a lot simpler.

But quite apart from that - they look bloody awful. Every time I see them, I think of the dodgy bodywork fitted to "cars of the future" in sci-fi movies.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2557736)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I can't think the wheel suppliers liked them much either. If I were Oz or BBS I would have been looking at the small print of their contracts very carefully.

I can't think they will "help" overtaking much at all. If anything, the only thing they were designed to do would be to reduce drag by a small amount, I don't think for a second that their removal will help the "racing" at all.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2557743)   #4
M30TGV
Rookie

United Kingdom
"Williams' technical chief Sam Michael said in July that studies have shown that the covers have "quite an adverse effect on the following car".

For now, until anyone here has done a more in depth investigation, I'm gonna go with Sam on this one...
Old 9 Oct 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2557751)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't they create large amounts of turbulence?

I think the best way of stopping these things would be to tweak the rules to ban a lot of this sillyness. One way of phrasing the rules could be as follows
  • Save for the specifically authorized front wing, rear wing and rear diffuser no part of the car may be used as an aerodynamic device.
  • A part will be considered an aerodynamic device it is used to generate downforce, direct air to or away from any aerodynamic device, cause deliberate or reckless disruption to the airflow of following cars. This is non-exhaustive.

The first clause would eliminate the DDDs as they use the crash structure. The second would stop any intentional aero-sabotage device.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2557759)   #6
M30TGV
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
There will be some obviously, but compared to a wheel... A rotating wheel is a hideously poor aerodynamic thing - it actually creates lift and a load of drag anyway. But hey - we can't ban wheels!

I agree with the ideas you're going with on other aero things. I'm quite new here, and I guess there will be an aero post someplace, but I have a load of ideas (based on experience) that I'd like to implement to liven things up, while still retaining F1's status at the top of the tree.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2557777)   #7
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone wanna bet they are cheering at Renault now?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2557782)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Best news I've heard all day.

Awful looking things.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2557877)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good. One less thing to come flying off a car.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 23:17 (Ref:2557881)   #10
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank God, we can finally see all of the car, and see the wheels and brake disks working in the slow-mo's. Now we just need to stop Renault and Red Bull putting the big flap on the back of the engine covers and the cars will look good again!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 00:11 (Ref:2557903)   #11
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M30TGV View Post
"Williams' technical chief Sam Michael said in July that studies have shown that the covers have "quite an adverse effect on the following car".

For now, until anyone here has done a more in depth investigation, I'm gonna go with Sam on this one...

This will be to do with the manner in which the covers direct outflowing air from the wheel through a small aperture, which has the effect of concentrating the airflow into a stream that has distinctly different characteristics from the surrounding air.

Quote:
As pointed out by M30TGV, they reduce airflow disruption on the outer surface of the wheel dramatically, as do the brake ducts on the inside.

The issue Sam Michael refers to is that in reducing the overall drag outside AND inside the wheel, they produce an effect that produces a significantly negative result downstream, ie for the following car.

The overall result of removing them should be that a following car might be able to get a tenth closer. Doesn't sound like much but may allow effective slipstreaming on a straight 80-100 metres shorter than at the moment. Again, doesn't sound like much but if you change it too much you've got something very different.

BTW - I don't mind the fins on the spine of the red bull/renault, reminds me of the teapot intakes of the early/mid 70's....

Last edited by Malfunction Junction; 10 Oct 2009 at 00:13. Reason: clarity
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2558013)   #12
M30TGV
Rookie

United Kingdom
They also work by channeling the flow between the upper and lower vortices that you get from a rotating wheel and (to an extent) stabilising those.

Also - remember before they were introduced, you'd often see brake dust being thrown quite a distance out from each front wheel? Well, that shows that the flow from the brake exit (bearing in mind the heat being produced) was directed out - perpendicular to the free stream and direction of travel. This also produces drag. What the bin-lids did was direct this flow from the brake exits and wheels (which is always there, even when the brake dust wasn't highlighting it) more rearwards, hence reducing drag. Of course, you can still see the brake dust going out sideways, but it's less than before and crucially - further from the car by the time it's diffused away.

What I was getting at was that obviously Sam and others at Williams have conducted an in depth investigation in the effects of this to a following car - and I, for one, would like to see the results... except it's all academic now, as they've gone from next year.

Now - we can see brake glow again. I always liked that.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2558151)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's nothing new that we like... the old way is always better.

Back to 70s !
Old 10 Oct 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2558173)   #14
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I can't think the wheel suppliers liked them much either. If I were Oz or BBS I would have been looking at the small print of their contracts very carefully.

I can't think they will "help" overtaking much at all. If anything, the only thing they were designed to do would be to reduce drag by a small amount, I don't think for a second that their removal will help the "racing" at all.
I think they would like it. Where teams have stuck the manufacturer's sticker on the wheel cover you can actually read it in a photo! Not to mention all the pitlane photos of the things. We've never paid this much attention to a wheel in the past!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2558194)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
There's nothing new that we like... the old way is always better.

Back to 70s !
F1 wheels were a lot better back then...and sometimes they had more than four!

So no 'wheel covers' then! Little by little.......
Old 10 Oct 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2558227)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If they could just build a F1 car that looks like my avatar, I would be more than happy!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2558247)   #17
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite liked them, reminded me of the covered rear wheels of the GrC cars of the 80's. I won't particularly miss them though. Ta ta!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2558260)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I personally will miss the wheel covers.
When they first appeared, I thought that it was a refreshing take on an aero feature.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2558407)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
These were a crime against humanity. Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

Anyway, interesting pieces of kit, but I'll get over the loss of them.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2558449)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They should have been banned when they were first introduced.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2559246)   #21
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In principle, I didn't mind them - F1 used to be about innovative solutions, and this was one. For safety reasons, I don't mind banning them though, and if it helps overtaking that's good too.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2559320)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,I'm glad to see the back of'em,but if it were ever discovered that sticking a minature figurine of Max Mosley on the nose cone of an F1 car made it go a tenth of a second a lap faster,then don't be surprised to see them putting in an appearance.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2559358)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson View Post
I quite liked them, reminded me of the covered rear wheels of the GrC cars of the 80's. I won't particularly miss them though. Ta ta!
Some Porsche 956s and 962s had similar devices, particularly on the front wheels.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2559503)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
In principle, I didn't mind them - F1 used to be about innovative solutions, and this was one. For safety reasons, I don't mind banning them though, and if it helps overtaking that's good too.
They were innovative on the '92 Ferrari.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2559706)   #25
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind them but also am quite happy to see them go.

But if they offer enough aero benefit, what is to stop the wheel manufacturers developing a wheel with a much more flush outer face to compensate them being banned next year?