Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Feb 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3804371)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After reading this I would not be surprised to see Lydden cancelled to be honest

Must be costing GRC a fortune to get cars over here, and no-one is going to watch glorified Lites are they.

Just can it like they should have years ago.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3804438)   #27
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So have they dropped the Lites?? Will the gold class just feature modified "Lites" or are new cars being built?

And sounds like the Gold Class will just be the top class for one year, (June to Oct), if they are going to introduce a Platinum Class in 2019?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3804513)   #28
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
So have they dropped the Lites?? Will the gold class just feature modified "Lites" or are new cars being built?

And sounds like the Gold Class will just be the top class for one year, (June to Oct), if they are going to introduce a Platinum Class in 2019?
Yeah, as I understand it the "regular" Lites are no longer part of the Championship. So the 2018 Championship will consist of "Gold Class" modified Lites and the Polaris buggies. Those two will be joined by the mystery "Platinum Class" in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
After reading this I would not be surprised to see Lydden cancelled to be honest
Unless the "Gold Class" can attract a significant number of entries I think this is a real possibility now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross
I do wonder what happens to the cars here. Beyond Dyne’s I haven’t seen any posted anywhere.
I am surprised by the silence from the other teams/drivers. I thought VARX, OMSE or Vermont SC would have said something.

I saw a few comments from Tanner Whitten (former Lite driver) on Facebook following the "Gold" news announcement: he doesn't seem to have much positive to say about the Championship.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3804658)   #29
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does seem all very last minute and maybe a knee jerk reaction. Most race series would make a big issue of a change of formula, and celebrate the end of that class at their final race and have the new car on display.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3804707)   #30
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What bodywork will these Gold cars have?

If it's meltdown Fiestas, I'm out.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3804754)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Scott Speed going crazy on iRacing was a result of hearing there's no Supercars & Volkswagen in GRC this season?
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3804946)   #32
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you all got your head around the "Gold" class? Well here are the details of the "Platinum" cars and it's not what I was expecting...

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...champions-cup/

...MJP Racing is now linking up with the GRC? I know Max Pucher has been quite vocal about the direction of the World Championship, but this move surprises me.

Last edited by tbtstt; 1 Mar 2018 at 16:40.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3804947)   #33
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds exciting but the details are confusing. The cars sound Ike Division 3 in France, which are amazing!! And it's being showcased at lydden (perhaps with guest drivers) so it makes lydden more appealing.

But is there room for the championship to come to Europe? Did pat know this when signing them up? Maybe he did.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3804970)   #34
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very surprised as well. About a month ago he posted a status where he was very critical of the future of WRX and rallycross, especially about how they were going to implement the electric cars (Formula E apparently wasn't that environmentaly friendly as one might think). I guess this is how he wants to evolve rallycross.

Perhaps they will compete at former ERC tracks and purpose-built tracks in Europe? Hungary, Greinbach, Essay, Sosnova etc.

The cars makes me very sceptical. Somehow they are supposed to be more agile, lighter, faster and cheaper than a Supercar. Since MJP are building the cars they have monopoly as well. The Lites for example are very expensive and there is no way around it.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 20:14 (Ref:3805010)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Since MJP are building the cars they have monopoly as well. The Lites for example are very expensive and there is no way around it.
Agreed - it's just swapping one spec car for another - you still have to buy from the car from a single source.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3805067)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a way round it

Dont buy the cars, dont go to lydden, and the series will die and that will force them to come up with something the fans want. Its simple really, hurtful but very, very simple.

I think Pat is aboutb the only guy who could give us ERC like it was, a margely amateur sport, still containing the right sort of cars. he has the clout maybe, but would need help. But his possible bitter attitude to IMG might be just the spark it needs.

And though I loath him, his sons involvement with big sponsors might also be a benefit
Old 2 Mar 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3805132)   #37
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Well here are the details of the "Platinum" cars and it's not what I was expecting...

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...champions-cup/
Dislike.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3805240)   #38
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
GRC Europe Series
Now that gets complicated.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3805249)   #39
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry, this is just getting stupid now! You've gone from having 1 top level with which minor mods let people race in both National, European, World and American series to now having what, 2 completely different series which are polar opposites to each other and will force people to do one or the other!

I love rallycross, its great being at the circuit live as the races are short, sharp and entertaining, the people involved on the whole tend to be open and have great access (a few world rx teams apart) but the way things are going its just ripping its self apart and no one is going to win out of this.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3805263)   #40
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
I love rallycross, its great being at the circuit live as the races are short, sharp and entertaining, the people involved on the whole tend to be open and have great access (a few world rx teams apart) but the way things are going its just ripping its self apart and no one is going to win out of this.
This is the norm for Rallycross is it not?
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3805265)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
This is the norm for Rallycross is it not?
Sad but true.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3805272)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The sad part is this is all about what people wanted years ago, including me.

We wanted someone to pick it up, throw some money at marketing, take it to new places maybe. And what happened, two companies picked up, dressed up in a lunchbox, deserted every known place really of history, threw anyway the existing drivers and teams and touted their new amazing product to the highest bidder, whether that bidder had any interest or possible interest in rallycross or not.

This is what happens when people who should know better, (yes Tim I am looking at you and many others) get too involved.
I blame Hansen, all the carry pver teams like Bergteamet, Andy Scott, everyone who was there at the start trying to get it massive, sold it to IMG and did not put anything in place to try and limit their power.

GRC started off awfully, the Gronholm and Heikkinen crashes ought to ahve nailed its coffin, but they cam back and had some interest ideas, then IMG came in and literally stole their thunder, two energy drinks companies trying to out hustle each other. That is all rallycross at that level is at the moment sadly.

Never always good to get what you wish for.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3805297)   #43
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Eriksson is the man who got rallycross in the spotlight. He went to USA in order to get rallycross going over there and in a longer run internationally. The OMSE truck and bus for example had Global Rallycross striped on it when they competed in Europe.

Once things started to get serious over there, FIA put ERC up for sale or promotion, probably to conquer out GRC and to keep the top level of rallycross in Europe since a few went over and others also thought of going there.

Unfortunately IMG were the only ones (thinking of how things are looking nowadays) that were interested. Hansen was very much onboard and other profiles like Solberg and Ekström was very positive of how serious things were going to get since it was somewhat of an low level and privateer sport compared to others.

It went serious in a bad direction though and I don't think there was a way to stop it really unless everyone had been protesting. However, I know for a fact that things could have been much worse.

Finally, there apparently is ANOTHER championship getting started in USA for at least Supercars. Don't know though if it is related to the series that Stohl is building electric rallycross cars for.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3805683)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Finally, there apparently is ANOTHER championship getting started in USA for at least Supercars. Don't know though if it is related to the series that Stohl is building electric rallycross cars for.
Just looking at the comments under a picture posted by Subaru Rally Team USA (of them testing the rallycross cars). Max Pucher has just posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pucher Facebook Comment
Subaru was one of teams to pull out from GRC Supercars, but they might take part in some races that IMG thinks of setting up in the US. The grass is always greener on the other side ...
So IMG are trying to set something up in the US and the GRC are trying to set up a Championship in Europe?
Old 4 Mar 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3805688)   #45
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This actually makes sense though. With the same regs as the WRX and then the US round of the WRX in Austin could then be billed as a US v the World event which the Americans seem to love (e.g. Ryder cup, Solheim cup and the other one v the world in golf).
Old 4 Mar 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3805702)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
IMG being American must be desperate to have WRX over there.

that is all this is about, they are the evil multinational takeover type deal.

Just hovering like vultures.

Good luck to them, their series dies for me years ago.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3805909)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
https://www.subaru.com/content/subar...ciation-s.html

Oregon Trail Rally – 20-22 April
Olympus Rally – 19-20 May
Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally – 1-2 June
New England Forest Rally – 20-21 July
Ojibwe Forests Rally – 24-25 August
Idaho Rally – 14-15 September
Tour de Forest Rally – 6-7 October
No mention of rallycross activities. However...

Quote:
https://rallysportmag.com/chris-atki...ious-wrc-cars/

“I am doing Oregon Trail Rally at the end of April, but to be honest all the preparation has been on rallycross as that is the main focus for the year"
Old 6 Mar 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3806320)   #48
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a press release a few weeks ago Vermont SportsCar (Subaru USA) announced that Sandell and Atko will be running some American Rally Association events in lieu of Travis Pastrana who has conflicts with Nitro Circus.

Be interesting to see if this was to honor contracts with knowledge that GRC was ending? Vermont spent a lot of money developing those GRC cars and now don't have any return for it. Plus American is split between two major series in a country that sadly can't support one national series.

So Vermont are running Subaru's in the series that they pretty much own and fund with little to no competition except when Barry McKenna appears in his R5. Entries in ARA are probably going to be less than 50% the entries in the competing Rally America series. No TV coverage whatsoever of either series and only Subaru's excellent 'Launch Control' series really covers anything......

Interesting few weeks ahead.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3807930)   #49
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
IMG just launched the ARX: Americas Rallycross Championship. Opening round will take place at Silverstone (as part of the World round), R2 at Canada, R3 and Circuit of the Americas (alongside the World Championship rounds). Location of the fourth and final round to be confirmed.

VW (Andretti) and Subaru confirmed to enter.

Last edited by tbtstt; 14 Mar 2018 at 12:45.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3807943)   #50
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's complicated... WRX, GRC, ARX