Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2002, 19:43 (Ref:318367)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If McLaren Mercedes don't take Heidfeld next year they never will

I read in 'Formula 1 Yearbook 2001-2002' that Nick Heidfeld has a contract with Mercedes until 2003. So in my opinion, Nick must join a works team next year if he wants to take his career any further. McLaren would be the best team he could join, but if they keep Coulthard for 2003, Heidfeld should go to Toyota. He can't afford to spend a third year with Sauber, and I can't see Williams wanting to get rid of Ralf either.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 19:48 (Ref:318371)   #2
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are not many knocking his doors with a contract, are they?

Nick is a nice guy but he is not better than average.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 20:10 (Ref:318381)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dissagree there BB , i think if Mclaren dont sign him next year they are missing the boat . It must be time for DC to move on anyway , and Nick is fast , mature and deserves the 2nd Mclaren seat , but thats just what i think.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 02:52 (Ref:318594)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If McLaren don't take Heidfeld, he should go to Toyota or another team that actually want him.

He should have been there this year instead of Kimi - only politics kept him out.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 03:02 (Ref:318597)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The only problem is Kimi - Mac cant afford to have two young drivers that are (relatively speaking) inexperienced.

Give Kimi the boot and put nick in I think. Now who to replace DC............
Old 22 Jun 2002, 03:44 (Ref:318608)   #6
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sauber is a year old Ferrari engine. It cannot be that bad. Yet Nick is not able to do better than average. What is it with him that some of you think he is a great driver? I think Zonta had him under control in the lower series, hadn't he? Zonta is history as far as F1 goes....Sorry I forgot. Villeneuve destroyed Zonta's career...LOL
Old 22 Jun 2002, 06:59 (Ref:318686)   #7
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta? What are you on about? Which series? Heidfeld thrashed everyone in F3000 and Zonta was one of the sneakiest, dirtiest drivers ever in GT racing. I don't recall them racing together recently. Was it german f3 or something?

Nick is rather better than average. He proved it against "wonderboy" and he's proving it against Massa.

Mercedes are always doing this though - they string a new driver along with promises, then ditch him when the new hot property arrives. Nick isn't the first victim.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:08 (Ref:318727)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
The only problem is Kimi - Mac cant afford to have two young drivers that are (relatively speaking) inexperienced.

Don't see this being a problem personally, afterall, these two inexperienced drivers (relatively speaking), gave Sauber their best ever season last year, and Sauber haven't got the strength that McLaren have got.

I for one would love to see Kimi and Nick together next year if just to shut all these people up who say that Nick is so much better than Kimi, now that Kimi has more experience we'll be able to have a fairer comparison.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:31 (Ref:318733)   #9
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next Year McLaren SHOULD have Nick Heidfeld, but alongside him, someone thats experienced. Alex Wurz is currently their test driver, but there a drivers out there such as Jos Verstappen who are without a drive AND are good.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:41 (Ref:318741)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Tom, ask yourself this question, Why are Alex Wurz and Jos not in a racing seat this year and Kimi is? could it be that Kimi is a potential WDC and Wurz and Jos aren't?
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:43 (Ref:318742)   #11
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Heidfeld is in a bloody good team at the moment and I think Sauber will stay as a top 4 team for a long time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:48 (Ref:318745)   #12
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Tom, ask yourself this question, Why are Alex Wurz and Jos not in a racing seat this year and Kimi is? could it be that Kimi is a potential WDC and Wurz and Jos aren't?
I was adding to another idea of not having 2 inexperienced drivers, although next year (believe it or not) will be Heidfelds 4th season. Kimi I wouldn't say has everything, and I'd say Nick would do better too.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 12:36 (Ref:318837)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt ever call Nick inexperienced in F1 . and BB , Nick won german F3 title , he won F3000 title , and at the time David Brown rated him very highly indeed . I would also say that Nicks results have been far from average , He shows strength , maturity and has good experience to draw from . He isnt no Juan Pablo at the moment , but he shows the ability to go right to the top in time .

I also dont see any problem with Mclaren running Kimi and Nick next year , i think they would push each other on quite well.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 14:43 (Ref:318941)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Sato wrapped up nicely, so I'm going to leave this be (but FINALLY, a discussion about Nick)
Old 22 Jun 2002, 14:54 (Ref:318950)   #15
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Heidfeld should stay at Sauber for one more year. The car's not exactly a ****box, and McLaren will probably want to have a driver with more experience than Heidfeld.

I don't think they're about to get rid of Raikkonen, and Coulthard's had more than enough chances at McLaren. I reckon Ron should give Wurz a shot in a leading car. He was pretty impressive in '97 and '98, the '99 and '00 Benettons WERE ****boxes.

Last edited by Kex; 22 Jun 2002 at 14:56.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:00 (Ref:319214)   #16
Rambo
Racer

Ron Built up a good team with two young, relatively inexperienced drivers with DC and Mikka a few years back. It can be done.

But as long as DC can keep proving he's quick (he just won one the other day, for crying out loud!) I don't think he's ready to be put out to pasture just yet...
Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:30 (Ref:319234)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It waould be terrific for Heidfeld if he were to be offered the McLaren seat-but it just isn't going to happen. Though it is too early to say for sure, it seems likely that Couythard will remain and as many, including John Watson have said, Kimi is the future.

That said, Heidfeld is very much the equal of Raikkonen on a fast lap and much better over race distance. He is also a great test driver and unfortunately, that at role is very capabably served by the underrated Alex Wurz at the moment.

Sauber, as good as they have been, will never be a top rank team as long as they are getting customer Ferraris-its last year's spec and you can bet your anorak that Maranello would NEVER let a Sauber finish ahead of a Ferrari.

Heidfeld's best opportunity lies with a team that is building. Logicly, that team is TOYOTA for the following reasons.

1) The team is located in Gremany, quite close to Heidfeld's home town of Munchengladbach.

2) Salo has readily admitted that next year will likely be his last. Every team wants continuity from at least one of their drivers, if Nick were to jump now, he be well piosed for 2004. Salo would drive 2002-2003, and nick could make the transition for 2003-2004. Allowing Fukada to jion in 2004 if he's ready.

3) TOYOTA have gobs of money, are ready to spend it and are in for the long haul.

4) TOYOTA have put some really fine people into place and seem to be on the right track. This years car is a bit conservaetive-next year will be their opportunity to iron the bugs out and in 2004 Nick could lead a serious charge.

Its a compelling argument and I think it points to the mid part of the decade being a battle among Montoya, Heidfeld, Raikkonen and Alonso.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 00:48 (Ref:319290)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Great post EERO. I agree with that. I'll also take two cases of that snake oil your peddeling too.

Toyota are without doubt, a team of the future.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 01:01 (Ref:319293)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

Give Kimi the boot and put nick in I think. Now who to replace DC............
That flying Mercedes driver Mark Webber, of course.
WREX, what were you thinking?

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 23 Jun 2002, 02:11 (Ref:319312)   #20
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rambo
Ron Built up a good team with two young, relatively inexperienced drivers with DC and Mikka a few years back. It can be done.

But as long as DC can keep proving he's quick (he just won one the other day, for crying out loud!) I don't think he's ready to be put out to pasture just yet...
DC was brilliant in Monaco no doubt. But I wouldnt be too secure if I were him - Mika is still lurking in the shadows...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:33 (Ref:319351)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Actually, I'd have to agree with EERO on his point about Toyota. If Nick joined them, his skills at testing and developing a car would come in handy, and Toyota have shown interest in him (although they've shown interest in half the drivers on the grid!)

Plus, if McLaren don't take him on, then I'd like to see Heidfeld stick a finger up at Ron by winning in another car!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:44 (Ref:319358)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Toyota will improve - it will just take another year, that's all. Nick was unlucky not getting the McLaren drive - Mika got that for Kimi. I feel that Nick is the better driver in a race, and that Kimi is still too raw. However, it could also be that Ron Dennis saw the potential in Kimi because his learning curve was steep and impressive.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 23 Jun 2002, 23:53 (Ref:320042)   #23
Rambo
Racer

I really don't see Hak making a comeback. He's done a Keke...