Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jul 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3836013)   #176
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Like other high profile events, you get anomalies. Sometimes due to organiser lack of knowledge, or maybe the entrant has got cars in more than one plateau and / or spends a lot of money with the organiser..... (There was a car in our plateau that appears every LMC but is presented in a different spec to any others of the same model!)

You’ve got me wondering what the car is in P6- if you don’t mind me knowing send me a PM
Old 11 Jul 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3836014)   #177
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You’ve got me wondering what the car is in P6- if you don’t mind me knowing send me a PM
Will do that. Thanks!
Old 11 Jul 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3836027)   #178
Thurner_fan
Rookie

Thurner_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZR View Post
Can I - as a 'civilian' - ask, what exactly is the eligibility situation for cars taking part in the Le Mans Classic event?

As far as I understand it, they either have to have actually taken part in the Le Mans 24hrs race in period, or be of a type/spec which took part in period. Is that correct?
One of the common ‘mistakes’ seems to be confusion between when a car was first built and the year in which it was actually run in the specification to which it is built today.

A couple of years can make a signficant difference. The car may retain the same silhoutte and external appearance yet be running to a much faster spec than its original Le Mans configuration. The HTP should avoid such mistakes but only if the race organiser pays it some attention.

TF
Old 11 Jul 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3836030)   #179
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurner_fan View Post
One of the common ‘mistakes’ seems to be confusion between when a car was first built and the year in which it was actually run in the specification to which it is built today.

A couple of years can make a signficant difference. The car may retain the same silhoutte and external appearance yet be running to a much faster spec than its original Le Mans configuration. The HTP should avoid such mistakes but only if the race organiser pays it some attention.
The car I'm referring to was running in Plateau 6 this year - as it did in 2016 - with a silhouette and external appearance that was completely different than the single car which took part in the original LM24hrs in 1975 and 1976. It simply looked nothing like it.

I can understand the safety/practicality aspects that need to be taken into account, and the fact that replication of mechanical specs might not always be possible (or desirable...), but to accept an entry from a car which looks nothing like the shape or livery of the car which set the precedent in period seems to me to be inexplicable.

All the more so when the period story ended in tragedy.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3836037)   #180
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Probably you're talking about a certain Datsun, then.
I find Mike's answer is clear and courageous too, so few people saying what they mean in this matter.
Another thing which could be brought back - or not - the percentage between the pole and the last admitted car. If i'm correct, in period you had to qualify each driver (may be 75% as fast as poleman?) plus each driver had to make at least three laps during night session.
Dont forget its a show, a marvelous one.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3836062)   #181
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I find Mike's answer is clear and courageous too, so few people saying what they mean in this matter.
Another thing which could be brought back - or not - the percentage between the pole and the last admitted car. If i'm correct, in period you had to qualify each driver (may be 75% as fast as poleman?) plus each driver had to make at least three laps during night session.
On another thread about the same meeting someone commented that most of the races looked more like parades (I disagree), but that doesn’t necessarily mean the cars weren’t being driven flat out- just that with each plateau there could be a considerable age and potential performance difference between the front running and tail end cars! Therefore not sure a ‘75%’ rule would work in LMC.....

As for night practice, essential really if you intend to do the night race (not all drivers / cars did), but the sessions were shortened this year to allow for parades, Legends or something. Then one plateau only got one lap due to a red flag, and another 3 laps for same reason. Shame as the experience of driving Mulsanne in the middle of the night is like no other......
Old 11 Jul 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3836067)   #182
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, Mike, not all races are parades. Its obvious the 75% rule could not apply, but look at the differences in performance: plateau 3, from 4'31" to 7'40", plateau 4 from 4'36" to 9'02", plateau 5 from 4'13" to 6'53" and plateau 6 from 4'08" to 6'40". Huge gaps, dont you think so?
Average differences in max speed are plateau 3: 262/160, plateau 4: 253/203, plateau 5: 287/190 and plateau 6: 292/ 200 all in kph. And the Hunaudières straight is a much safer - and slower too - place than in period. As you said, white flag is more a benefit than the blue one…

You like Mulsanne? Me too, but bear in mind that we use to have panneautage there, just at the exit of the corner. And there were a kind of "meeting" there during the night, you could have your headlamps adjusted by Marchal. For free, even if you had Cibié! Happy days, n'est-ce pas?! Quelle époque fantastique.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3836076)   #183
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Quote:
My first visit to the Le Mans 24hrs race was in 1970, and it made a big impression on a then 8-year old schoolboy.

In contrast, I realise what the LMC event is, and I'm familiar with the world of historic racing. I'm normally - by necessity as well as philosophy - quite pragmatic about these things, but if we are going to class this kind of event a reference to matters 'historic' and talk about nostalgia, then we must be careful 'the show' does not turn into complete farce.

A re-enactment of The Battle of Britain might well be performed by Spitfires that were actually built a couple of years ago and Hispano Buchons with Merlin engines pretending to be 109s, and we rivet counters won't kick up too much fuss. But when a Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa is allowed to join the battle it all starts to get a bit silly...
Old 11 Jul 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3836098)   #184
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZR View Post
…/ then we must be careful 'the show' does not turn into complete farce/ … it all starts to get a bit silly...
The world is mad and I dont see anyone or anything preventing this kind of event turning in a show. Thats what people want, sadly. The success in spectators and entrants show what people like to do and to see nowadays.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3836116)   #185
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The world is mad and I dont see anyone or anything preventing this kind of event turning in a show. Thats what people want, sadly. The success in spectators and entrants show what people like to do and to see nowadays.
I think that when you go to a racetrack it's see motor racing but unfortunately more and more evnts are using show attractions to entice more and people and make the event bigger which loses the essence of it being a race meeting but I could be wrong.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3836129)   #186
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
I think that when you go to a racetrack it's see motor racing but unfortunately more and more evnts are using show attractions to entice more and people and make the event bigger which loses the essence of it being a race meeting but I could be wrong.
I don’t think Gerard was suggesting side attractions when he used the word ‘show’. IMHO Le Mans Classic is more about the cars than the two other big ‘spectator’ events I can think of- Goodwood Revival and Silverstone Classic. But when you have each ‘Plateau’ spanning many years and cars of considerably disparate performance, then races are bound to appear to be more of a show to some.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3836165)   #187
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at the damage on some of cars seems to me there was a lot of actual racing!
With 60 odd cars in most grids you will get thirty real racers , twenty careful drivers and the rest going round in circles slowly . That’s as a rule of thumb
Seems to me that if you want to see actual racing LMC or Silverstone Classic
At LMC suggest the maximum number of jogging drivers are in G1 and Group C.
Leave the actual racers alone rather than run a contrived event . Some events are now following this formula
Spa 6 hours with about 14 new GT40’s is another solution to providing great racing
Not doing it for Spa crowds because there is next to nobody there dispite it being one of top five Historic Race Events
Don’t hold your breath but it seems people like doing concours and ponce about talking rubbish in the middle of baby show.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3836167)   #188
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It might be all about the cars, but when are you supposed to sleep!

I went this year, did not enjoy the weather at all, so was not overkeen on being out and about all night.

And missed every single session for the first and last groups, despite being out on track for at least 7 hours both days. All these two classes seemed to be very early or very late i the day, bith days I was there.

That to me is fairly poos on the part of the organisers.

I saw some cool stuff in the demos's, but hardly see the need for the Jaguar and Porsche races, there are enough of those cars in each section already. They were pointless for me I'm sorry.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3836168)   #189
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I don’t think Gerard was suggesting side attractions when he used the word ‘show’. IMHO Le Mans Classic is more about the cars than the two other big ‘spectator’ events I can think of- Goodwood Revival and Silverstone Classic. But when you have each ‘Plateau’ spanning many years and cars of considerably disparate performance, then races are bound to appear to be more of a show to some.
Sorry if I mis interpretated the topic of thought and looking back just seeing the cars should be savoured and talked about,not the quality of racing for the people who race them could quite easily tuck them away.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3836170)   #190
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting thoughts John and I’m sure you are right . I’ve only done LMC twice but I have found a special comradminship amounst competitors and all mechanics and helpers . I for one at 3 am Friday was comendeared into another multi preprarer awning and subjected to drinking vast quantities of beer . Special place Le Mans . Roll on 2020.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 05:02 (Ref:3836213)   #191
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It might be all about the cars, but when are you supposed to sleep! I went this year, did not enjoy the weather at all, so was not overkeen on being out and about all night.
Anyone that goes to the 24hrs or LMC expecting to sleep is going to the wrong events, my friend.

Quote:
And missed every single session for the first and last groups, despite being out on track for at least 7 hours both days. All these two classes seemed to be very early or very late i the day, bith days I was there. That to me is fairly poos on the part of the organisers.
How the heck are the plateaux supposed to be run, then? As is the cars and drivers in each get the same amount of time for reprep and rest between races. (It wouldn't have taken much research to work out the format and plan accordingly.)

Quote:
I saw some cool stuff in the demos's, but hardly see the need for the Jaguar and Porsche races, there are enough of those cars in each section already. They were pointless for me I'm sorry.
I agree about the Porsche race, but it was a special to celebrate '70 years of Posrsche'. The Jag race presented an opportunity for lots of racers to drive Le Mans in cars that would possibly not get into the main event, and at considerably less cost! They don't get many laps, but have ticked the 'Le Mans' box..... If it was up to me- I'd lose the demos!
Old 12 Jul 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3836225)   #192
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Grid 1 raced at 4 Saturday afternoon and Grid 6 at 3 on Sunday pm
They are not anti social hours
The extra races which we could do without are needed to provide revenue to cover the increase charges being imposed by local authorities for road closures over the weekend
Have had cars at every LMC and from a great 2002 when motorhome was alongside pit paddocks and today when the situation in Houx on Wednesday and Thursday is a character forming exercise.
It’s the best
Monterey next year
Old 12 Jul 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3836256)   #193
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, as a first timer I missed a lot of stuff as the times when I was at the track, which were not inconsiderable, I seemed to see the same things running, and as I didn't or couldn't find a program seller at the various palces I went to, I think my comment is valid.

I would never go to this event again to be honest, it is clearly for drivers and ahem, the very rich.

Enough sauid, goodbye and good riddance.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3836261)   #194
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well, as a first timer I missed a lot of stuff as the times when I was at the track, which were not inconsiderable, I seemed to see the same things running, and as I didn't or couldn't find a program seller at the various palces I went to, I think my comment is valid.
Well its a 24hrs event which means there will be track action for at least 24 of those hours. Since the plateaus run in order then surely its not too difficult to work out when your favourite plateau (if any) is going to be on track?

Quote:
I would never go to this event again to be honest, it is clearly for drivers and ahem, the very rich.
I may have missed this but why did you go anyway?

Quote:
Enough sauid, goodbye and good riddance.
Quite.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3836262)   #195
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was my first time at the Classic and while I was there ostensibly to work on the Scalextric stand (in an air conditioned area I may smugly add) I do have a few comments:

I loved the cars. And the access my paddock pass gave me. To see that many 917 Porsches was a dream, as was the deCadenet Lola. And all the other stuff...

Racing, I saw only a couple of races but it seemed good to me, the GT40 era (plat4 I think) on Saturday evening was great.

Surprised Chunder that you couldn't find a programme seller, where were you on the circuit? Certainly there was a vendor by each entrance and a couple by the pits.

Only negatives to me where:
Heat. (not anyone's fault...)

Friday grandstands where all free, Saturday you needed a ticket. Not the end of the world, and my pass to work the event probably meant I missed out on being told this!

Expensive. The food! My expenses claim is er, interesting!

But overall, a good event, I'm spoilt at Brands Hatch in that I see nearly the entire lap from my view point so it took some getting used to with the 4-6min laps, but I enjoyed it. And please, make the 90s GT parade a race!

Simon
Old 12 Jul 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3836273)   #196
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
My first time at LMC too; had Houx motorhome and paddock tickets as had pals in Jaguar race and Plateau 3. Worked out when to watch races, when to walk paddocks and when to sleep by looking at the event timetable on the website well before we left these shores. What could be simpler?
Glorious weather, glorious sights and sounds, brilliant weekend.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3836308)   #197
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a photographer I love the Le Mans Classic atmosphere, but what with the heat and timetable, its a tough event for everyone, drivers, teams, marshals, photographers and spectators alike. Personally I treat it like any endurance event, forward plan, stay in a budget, but air conditioned hotel away from the track, eat proper meals also away from the circuit and get a decent sleep. I would never camp, I tried it once. Witnessing historic racing twenty-four hours is a rare experience as is watching so many unusual rare cars in action, it doesn't matter that some are slow. Also, the familiar track layout and its immediate memorable surroundings are fast changing,let's enjoy it while we can. Images copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6213.JPG   DSC_6103.jpg   DSC_6050.JPG  

Old 12 Jul 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3836337)   #198
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
As a photographer I love the Le Mans Classic atmosphere, but what with the heat and timetable, its a tough event for everyone, drivers, teams, marshals, photographers and spectators alike. Personally I treat it like any endurance event, forward plan, stay in a budget, but air conditioned hotel away from the track, eat proper meals also away from the circuit and get a decent sleep. I would never camp, I tried it once. Witnessing historic racing twenty-four hours is a rare experience as is watching so many unusual rare cars in action, it doesn't matter that some are slow. Also, the familiar track layout and its immediate memorable surroundings are fast changing,let's enjoy it while we can. Images copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Well put, Peter! As for camping (in Houx), this year it included such delights as a lake under my small awning after Wednesday night rain, then two selfish individuals parking the vehicles on our power cables, so when the particular distribution box failed we couldn’t move to another until we found one owner and dug the cable out from under the tyre of another vehicle (Porsche Cayenne....). Then on Sunday another participant drove his converted coach so close to the new distribution box he crushed the adapator on my cable! So a hasty repair to get cool box working again. Oh, and best experience of all- at 0245 Monday morning, being wakened by the noise of someone attempting to climb into the front of my van. Turned out to be so drunk that when I hurled abuse at him, he couldn’t even reply. And as for the entrance end loos- don’t even go there.... Literally.

Am sure if I return in 2020 it will be to Houx, and nothing will have changed.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3836354)   #199
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha OK, fine, I do understand now! I got two phone calls by PA. They were asking for help to define the perfect 2020 spectator profile. First call was rather friendly with a tough accent, familiar but not vulgar. So I sent a mail like this:
male,
living on an island,
either long legs or short pants,
likes electric cars but can't plug a wire,
hates Cayennes,
drinks hot beer and eats warm sandwiches,
likes to talk with drunk people at 2 in the morning, in the shade of a Merc',
can live without going to the john - not without any consequence, pls check -,
likes to wander in the landscape shouting houx-houx-houx,
likes to make camping in a bath tub,
under considers so much LMC drivers that he wants to drive himself.
That's it. The key of a new success.
Only ten minutes later, I got the second phone call. The accent was vulgar and rough when saying: "C'on, Jeremy Clarkson, we no ya, you only want Grange Lovers! But we no cars here, ya no… Put me through our GG right now!"
Old 16 Jul 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3836910)   #200
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was catching up on reading last Wednesday’s Classic Car Weekly, and there’s a great photo of the Plateau 1 Le Mans start. Michael Birch and all except one other driver legging it across to their cars. The other driver? Gareth Burnett, standing with hands behind his back watching.....