Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Dec 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1485912)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Home owner.....

Interesting to read in the Sydney Sunday Telegraph's "Home Owner" liftout section, on P2 of that tome.... in the "Home Truths" section, by Sacha Tohme...

"Horses for courses
FIRST it was marina villages, then golfing estates; now developers are hoping to lure investors with horse riding facilities.

The visionaries behind Queensland's famous Sanctuary Cove are planning an $800 million gold and equine project on the Gold Coast. Craig Gore, son of the late developer Mike Gore, has teamed with his father's partner and V8Supercars chairman Tony Cochrane for the project at Seven Mountains.

Triple Olympic gold medallist Andrew Hoy has been recruited to spearhead a $50 million equestrian centre that will be the centrepiece of the project.

British Open winner Tom Weiskopf will design the championship golf course that will be surrounded by 720 houses and units with price tags of between $300,000 and $1 million"

Interesting bedfellows indeed.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Dec 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1485931)   #2
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may or may not know that Tony Cochrane was responsible for securing the services of one Frank Sinatra to appear at "The Main Event" - the opening concert for the Sanctuary Cove Development way back when.

FS and his manager told TC they would not be interested in ever travelling to Australia again after their previous encounters with the media and Police, but TC persisted and sat in the managers waiting room every day for a week just to get a hearing and offer a cool $1m appearance fee. Frank came to Australia !.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1485936)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have read that somewhere, probably in the program of one of the theatrical plays Mr Cochrane's SEL puts on... they talk about the entertainment side more than the V8Supercar link funnily enough....

I was wondering of course about the proximity of the boss of V8SA and the owner of 2 of TEGA's franchise licence slots... and whether the distance between the pair may be viewed from a high level as being inelegant....
Old 18 Dec 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1485937)   #4
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the company he was with at the time - SEL (thanks GTR) he was used to dealing like that though.

His company was also behind the Farnham/Newton-John/Warlow Main Event series of concerts (in fact if you watch the video of the event at the end, when they are patting themselves on the back back stage, youwill see Cochranes head crop up a few times.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 04:37 (Ref:1485944)   #5
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With such a close association may be they shouldn't allow WPS to have any practice days!!!!!!!
Old 18 Dec 2005, 06:00 (Ref:1485950)   #6
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook
You may or may not know that Tony Cochrane was responsible for securing the services of one Frank Sinatra to appear at "The Main Event" - the opening concert for the Sanctuary Cove Development way back when.

FS and his manager told TC they would not be interested in ever travelling to Australia again after their previous encounters with the media and Police, but TC persisted and sat in the managers waiting room every day for a week just to get a hearing and offer a cool $1m appearance fee. Frank came to Australia !.
Was there a movie made about this? The Night we Called it a Day or something like that??
Old 18 Dec 2005, 06:04 (Ref:1485951)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the days of the Frank Sinatra Sanctuary Cove gig TC was nothing more than of Gopher. Mike Gore was quite clearly calling the shots.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1485952)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is there some de ja vu in the air?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1486249)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The proposal sounds like a copy of Hidden Valley.

No not the race track in Darwin but the Housing, horsey & golfing development on the former home of Robert Holmes A Court located between Wallan & Kilmore to the north of Melbourne.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1486291)   #10
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Exciting and informative inside news GTR, pity it was front page up here in gods country 3 Saturdays ago....

By the way, is building successful buissnesses illegal in N.S.W? or are you just off on one of your twisted little WPS rumour whinges again?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1486294)   #11
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook

There is a 1 hr documentry on this that runs on Ch 2 late at night sometimes about Mr Cochrane getting this deal together.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 20 Dec 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1487164)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
Exciting and informative inside news GTR, pity it was front page up here in gods country 3 Saturdays ago....

By the way, is building successful buissnesses illegal in N.S.W? or are you just off on one of your twisted little WPS rumour whinges again?
Building successful businesses sounds like an interesting plan. Who they choose to build them with has to be open to question.

It would be like the president of an AFL football club going into the property development game with the boss of the AFL... the question of proximity is always raised... and the perception of some form of independence and reduction of bias

Does V8SA and TEGA actually have a corporate governance standard in place for its employees and appointed officials?

Somehow I doubt it
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1487227)   #13
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't WPS also involved with AVESCO with the V8 Visa card?
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1487241)   #14
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all makes sense.
It's one Wicked Pony Stable.
It's also A Very Expensive Set-up Containing Offspring.
Maybe bazil will laugh!
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1487242)   #15
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Is there some de ja vu in the air?
Haven't I heard that before?
Old 21 Dec 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1487783)   #16
bazil
Veteran

Old 22 Dec 2005, 06:43 (Ref:1488483)   #17
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like WPS are running short on bucks,the 2 Carrera Cup cars have been dropped and naming rights to that series and Aussie Racing has gone. I have not heard if the Team Aus Ute or the Team Aus and WPS Aussie Racing Cars will run either. Maybe Gore needs the bucks to sink into the Mountains.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1488520)   #18
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More likely that the sponsorship has done its job ie you've now heard of WPS...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 22 Dec 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1488992)   #19
bazil
Veteran

Old 23 Dec 2005, 02:07 (Ref:1489057)   #20
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hearing of WPS is one thing but you would think that if Gore was serious about his long term association with the sport as he allways states that he will have and then to pull out of all those deals after only a year would seem to me to be that maybe the bucks have run out.I heard Shane Gore was going to drive the Carrera Cup car which would not have been for promotion as he would have only been an also ran at the back of the field.It all doesnt add up to me.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1489080)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Look on the bright side, Aaron Caratti gets a run in Carrera Cup
Old 23 Dec 2005, 04:25 (Ref:1489088)   #22
bazil
Veteran

Dear cav,

Your concerns are mis guided as WPS will still run 2 cars in Aussie racers next year and are still sponsoring Carrera Cup. The option of sponsoring Aussie Racers has problems because of factors other than money as I can assure you that more can be spent on catering for a season (for the Supercar team)than what the series rights are worth.As for the 2 Carrera cup cars that were going to be run that has to 2 issues. 1. Development series cars are now configured the same as main game so it makes sence to be involved. 2. Sometimes deals are not what they were supposed to be...

Together with the Champcar,Atlantics, Formula BMW and local catorgories our comitment to motorsport in 2006 is around 20 million bucks. If you only knew the level of commitment to our Supercar program alone for 06, 07 and beyond your opinion would be vastly different. As for the suggestion that one of the drivers mentioned for Carrera Cup would have been a back marker shows 2 things, 1stly you mistook us for people that give a stuff about others shoot from the hip opinions and 2nd refer to point 1.

Merry Christmas
Old 23 Dec 2005, 06:39 (Ref:1489109)   #23
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dear cav,

As for the 2 Carrera cup cars that were going to be run that has to 2 issues. 1. Development series cars are now configured the same as main game so it makes sence to be involved. 2. Sometimes deals are not what they were supposed to be...

Together with the Champcar,Atlantics, Formula BMW and local catorgories our comitment to motorsport in 2006 is around 20 million bucks. If you only knew the level of commitment to our Supercar program alone for 06, 07 and beyond your opinion would be vastly different. As for the suggestion that one of the drivers mentioned for Carrera Cup would have been a back marker shows 2 things, 1stly you mistook us for people that give a stuff about others shoot from the hip opinions and 2nd refer to point 1.

Merry Christmas
I would have thought that the cup Cars would have been the perfect chance to show what a great talent spoting team you are and also the organisational infastructure you have in place, as the cars are all brand new, and it would have removed any of the old cars/lack of development funding/testing restrictions/lack of grunt/lack of expensive engineers excuses that can be applied to other class's.
Your cars run at the back of the pack more often than not, and this does not look good, these cars and spares are a no brainer as far as development etc is concerned and I am suprised to hear that this chance to shut up the doubting sceptic's would have been to hard to resist.

Would have been nice for the guys that work on the cars to experience "competiveness"

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 23 Dec 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1489113)   #24
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$20M eh and i still don't give two hoots whether he is there or not.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1489157)   #25
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is baz a bugle bum

Quote:
Dear cav,

Your concerns are mis guided as WPS will still run 2 cars in Aussie racers next year and are still sponsoring Carrera Cup. The option of sponsoring Aussie Racers has problems because of factors other than money as I can assure you that more can be spent on catering for a season (for the Supercar team)than what the series rights are worth.As for the 2 Carrera cup cars that were going to be run that has to 2 issues. 1. Development series cars are now configured the same as main game so it makes sence to be involved. 2. Sometimes deals are not what they were supposed to be...

Merry Christmas
Big claims Baz, you know we dont - sorry pal, Chrissie & all but I dont think you know one iota - you could put up, I dont reckon you can, bugle bum, mind you: you can prove me wrong ... nah, full of it !!!