Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Mar 2008, 02:43 (Ref:2148841)   #101
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I didn't have a particular order of preference in mind when I listed them.

From what I've heard, the main issue with the paddock would be making sure there was a bridge over the start/finish straight. There might be some work that could be done to improve access around the track for spectators, but as far as big works go, I don't know where you could build a real grandstand, assuming there aren't any at the track already. Take a look at YouTube; there are a number of onboard videos at Mont Tremblant, including two from the 2007 CART race.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 03:00 (Ref:2148854)   #102
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Where does St. Jovite fit in this regard with respect to Mosport?

I just ask because Mosport really doesn't offer much...teams are plonked about all over the place, without a whole heck of a lot room, and with nothing more than ground space (as far as I could see, at least); safety certainly doesn't appear "modern"; general facilities are very limited; there are virtually no grandstands, and such as they exist are distinctly unspectacular. And so on.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love the place, and would gladly see them not change a thing, but I am just curious as to what "the norm" is with regards ALMS expectations?

Last edited by Dutton; 11 Mar 2008 at 03:04.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 04:16 (Ref:2148874)   #103
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ha, if you're talking about Mosport within the last couple of years after the lower paddock was paved, you should have seen it before! I think Mosport is as rustic as it gets though - they are still ruining my enjoyment of the race there by putting these things called 'catch fences' in as of last year, would you believe it - so to fall lower than Mosport is probably too low. However it is one track that would cause widespread rebellion from all fronts if it was removed, as it is a driver's favourite and the highest-attended sprint race on the schedule.

PS: No grandstands is the best part of Mosport. Gimmie a hillside or let me set my chair up by the farm-style fence any day.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 04:30 (Ref:2148875)   #104
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Last year was my first year there, but I was informed of such changes. All I can say is I wish it was how it was before. I agree about lack of grandstands being a good thing. I am scared for the place should it get some "modernisation", or what have you.

It is thoroughly basic, but with virtually total spectator freedom. There was more than one point in my wanderings where I found myself, without passing any fences, however rusted and destroyed they would have been had they existed, five feet away from an unmanned marshal post at a break in the armco.

There was nothing but my own common sense preventing me from walking on to the track in front of cars doing rather high speeds. The place is undeveloped, and lets you go anywhere: you just hike through woods and hills, and can end up with some of the most amazing vantage points.

As I say, ALMS@Mosport 2007 was my first experience of the place, and, well, I instantly fell in total love with the place. I have all my stuff booked (with the exception of hire car) for the 2008 event, and will go every year for this event. If, for whatever reason, ALMS was to not go there, then I would have to pick another event to attend.

Mosport is just utterly magnificent...I 100%, totally, unequivocally, recommend, to one and all, this as place that one simply must visit.

OK, I guess I better stop.

Last edited by Dutton; 11 Mar 2008 at 04:40.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2148876)   #105
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I totally agree with all you wrote. I've been going to the ALMS there with my father every year since 2001, and I attended the IMSA race in 1997 as well. It is essential, it took me a while to realize how lucky those of us who watch races there are. I cannot wait for this coming year.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2148998)   #106
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
VIR is on the southern Virginia and North Carolina boarder near Danville Virgina. About 1/2 up or down the east cost of the US.

Access to VIR is not a problem. 6 miles off a 4 lane highway and the roads to VIR are heavy duty truck routes. Just one itty bitty town on a creast of a hill with a stop light where police like to hang out.

VIR has their own race hauler enterence road too.

I have been there, so I am aware of the trailer entrance and the route to the main entrance. My point is that a large crowd could experience a significant delay getting to the main road.

Not saying it is a deal-breaker or insurmountable, just that should you have a race that attracts, say, 25,000 fans, the promoters will need to work with the locals very closely to keep things moving - especially when you reach the main road (can't recall the Route # off the top of my head).

That said, if you stay in Danville there are some great restaurants and for spouses not interested in racing a lot of little shops and historically interesting buildings. I would certainly put VIR on the schedule if I could.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 23:03 (Ref:2149582)   #107
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Up until about 10 years ago, even Silverstone had quite poo access as far as accommodating large crowds on the roads, so I don't think it's the biggest problem to have.

I find it funny all the calls for manufacturer involvement in ALMS. For this year, there are more automakers represented here than in F1 even. I mean, we could have a few more factory efforts, but other than that, I don't know. F1 has 7 automakers taking part, including Spyker (Prodrive, Red Bull, Sauber, etc don't exactly count). For Sebring, there will be 11 manufacturers represented: Porsche, Ferrari, Panoz, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Aston Martin, Mazda, Acura, Audi, and Peugeot.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2149729)   #108
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Up until about 10 years ago, even Silverstone had quite poo access as far as accommodating large crowds on the roads, so I don't think it's the biggest problem to have.

I find it funny all the calls for manufacturer involvement in ALMS. For this year, there are more automakers represented here than in F1 even. I mean, we could have a few more factory efforts, but other than that, I don't know. F1 has 7 automakers taking part, including Spyker (Prodrive, Red Bull, Sauber, etc don't exactly count). For Sebring, there will be 11 manufacturers represented: Porsche, Ferrari, Panoz, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Aston Martin, Mazda, Acura, Audi, and Peugeot.
With the merger of IRL/QWR however that leaves several tracks without open wheel events.

I look for ALMS to pick some of those up and become a 12 (now 11) races to around 14-16 events in 2008.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2149761)   #109
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a good chance Portland may be back in 2009, but only if IRL comes.

Champcar at Portland has been a longstanding tradition, and this year will be the first time in 24 years (yes, we miss out on #25) that open wheel cars won't race at the track. This basically leaves us without a headliner. PIR is actually owned by the City of Portland (it's a park), and it's steadily generated money during the past few years. Portland just revamped the 7/8/9 complex, which offers a great new opportunity for passing.

We can hope that Indy will return to Portland in 2009, and that the ALMS will come as a support race! The people of Portland don't like the noise, but if it's all collapsed into one weekend they can't tell the difference.

I challenge anyone to find a US road course with better infrastructure. Lightrail, I5 literally a stone's throw away, and not to mention the City of Portland 5 minutes away!

Also, anyone know why ALMS dropped Sears Poinfineon? Was it a Watkins Glenesque deal?

Last edited by Cuttlefish; 12 Mar 2008 at 08:14.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2149920)   #110
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watkins Glen is owned by the same investor group that owns NASCAR which also owns Grand AM. So Watkins Glen will not see an ALMS race.

May be Dr. Panoz can work out a deal to use WG while giving Grand AM access to one of his tracks, Road Atlanta, Mosport or Sebring.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2150032)   #111
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Watkins Glen is owned by the same investor group that owns NASCAR which also owns Grand AM. So Watkins Glen will not see an ALMS race.

May be Dr. Panoz can work out a deal to use WG while giving Grand AM access to one of his tracks, Road Atlanta, Mosport or Sebring.
Cooperation between competing series? Something that might be good for all sportscar racing fans? What a concept!! Wouldn't it be nice if these guys all realized that promoting sportscar racing in general benefits each series specifically.

DK
Old 12 Mar 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2150076)   #112
Nedley Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Tampa, FL
Nedley Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

GA Cup/Koni Challenge has been running Mosport for several years.

I think anyone expecting the open wheel situation to result in a flood of new venues & teams for ALMS is in for some disappointment.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2150089)   #113
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish
Also, anyone know why ALMS dropped Sears Poinfineon? Was it a Watkins Glenesque deal?
Like the idea of getting Sears Point and Portland back on the schedule.

Sears Point was dropped so that they could have a race at Miller in Utah on its 5.5km overly twisty course. Thanklfully this year they've switched to the simpler, shorter and quicker external course and lengthened the race to 3hrs.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Mar 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2150090)   #114
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Sears wasn't dropped but the series was kindly shown the door because of the track owners and the other oval tracks they own and the series that run on them...
Old 12 Mar 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2150170)   #115
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
I believe Sears wasn't dropped but the series was kindly shown the door because of the track owners and the other oval tracks they own and the series that run on them...
Its owned by SMI - the same people who own Lowes, Texas, Bristol, Vegas, New Hampshire and Atlanta. SMI are the ones who are stopping ISC (i.e. the France family) from having a monopoly on every significant oval in the USA.

Can't see how that would be a factor in them dropping ALMS, unless NASCAR wanted to have Grand-Am run there unopposed.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Mar 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2150406)   #116
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has more to do with SMI keeping what Cup dates they have at the other tracks as to why the ALMS was dropped from Sears...