Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Mar 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3806498)   #226
Minchin
Rookie

Minchin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Reynolds was being cautious and allowed space for SVG because Reynolds knew he had turned Whincup around in the previous race with a similar move and didn’t want it to happen to him.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 06:20 (Ref:3806499)   #227
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
He said it in the post-race interview.

You miss a lot of this stuff at the track.

(OT but try reading the driver positions and time splits with the new font, layout and colours they are using for onscreen graphics this season.)
Old 7 Mar 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3806500)   #228
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minchin View Post
I think Reynolds was being cautious and allowed space for SVG because Reynolds knew he had turned Whincup around in the previous race with a similar move and didn’t want it to happen to him.
Reynolds knows first hand what SVG can do when he is on your tail....PI 2015
Old 7 Mar 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3806519)   #229
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where have Triple 8 gained so much of an advantage over the DJR Fords? I heard in the race commentary that a major gain had been achieved by reducing weight in the chassis/shell construction thereby giving them the ability to substantially lower the centre of gravity and improve handling. Certainly both the SVG and Whincup cars appeared very stable through the twiddly bits whereas a number of the other Holdens were hopping about quite a bit.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3806527)   #230
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Where have Triple 8 gained so much of an advantage over the DJR Fords? I heard in the race commentary that a major gain had been achieved by reducing weight in the chassis/shell construction thereby giving them the ability to substantially lower the centre of gravity and improve handling. Certainly both the SVG and Whincup cars appeared very stable through the twiddly bits whereas a number of the other Holdens were hopping about quite a bit.
That is springs and shocks, not weight distribution.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Mar 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3806532)   #231
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I heard in the race commentary that a major gain had been achieved by reducing weight in the chassis/shell construction thereby giving them the ability to substantially lower the centre of gravity and improve handling. Certainly both the SVG and Whincup cars appeared very stable through the twiddly bits whereas a number of the other Holdens were hopping about quite a bit.
The weight thing *might* give them some advantage over the Ford / Nissan, but the rest of it is down to RedBull doing a better job of tuning the car to suit the conditions. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of the field are running "Holdens", so have the same car / aero / etc as RedBull, but obviously not as good at tuning shocks and springs. RedBull either have a better understanding of how the shocks work, spend a lot more hours on the shock dyno, or keep better records of the settings / weather conditions etc per session and how the car worked in that session. There's not really a lot else you can do in such a controlled class.

Last edited by JAFA851; 7 Mar 2018 at 09:50.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3806539)   #232
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure that by lowering the C of G this in turn reduces the moment of inertia and hence roll which is why so many designers/builders in any number of series strive to reduce the C of G. In doing so it also gives the ability to move the weight laterally either forward/backwards to distribute the load more evenly. Obviously spring rate and damper design/specification plays a great deal and in my my very limited experience the damper technology is a very sophisticated art form in itself but I'm just wondering where Triple8 have managed to gain with their new car.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3806549)   #233
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll reduce roll if all else is left the same however teams can limit body roll with roll centres quite easily which they'll use to tune how the load transfer occurs (geometrically or elastically), a car with more roll won't necessarily be slower than one with less. The main benefit of the lower COM/COG is the reduction of overall load transfer, that's where the time benefit lies. How much is unknown, guess we'll have to wait for the others to get their fancy composite roof and see if it appears in lap time.

The side of the bed the driver gets up from generally affects things more I find..
Old 7 Mar 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3806556)   #234
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We seem to have covered most aspects of the weekend, ZB Commodores, COG, DR , so can we move on to other things that happened on the first race weekend of the year, who impressed and who did not, who crashed and why, who impressed among the rookies, was the crowd better than last years dismal turn out, were the support categories worthy of such a high profile race meeting, did this years liveries impress in real life, was the TV coverage satisfying? So many questions, so few answers on this supposedly knowledgable forum.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3806564)   #235
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
We seem to have covered most aspects of the weekend, ZB Commodores, COG, DR , so can we move on to other things that happened on the first race weekend of the year, who impressed and who did not, who crashed and why, who impressed among the rookies, was the crowd better than last years dismal turn out, were the support categories worthy of such a high profile race meeting, did this years liveries impress in real life, was the TV coverage satisfying? So many questions, so few answers on this supposedly knowledgable forum.
Yes, lets discuss the racing instead of something that may or may not even exist...

Red Bull look their usual selves except for Jamie blotting the copybook at turn 8.
Walkinshaw looked rejuvenated but they also starred at Adelaide last year, so perhaps we should wait to assess them.
BJR I expected more from with brand new ZB (apart from Blanchard) and KRE power.
Tickford looked alright but never looked to trouble the front 3. Frosty these days always seems to find something to be ****ed off about.
DJRTP - Scotty made them look good but Fabian looks like he hasn't shaken off whatever affected the end of last year and to be honest I think they might struggle.

888 is already winning the mind game, the other teams are complaining about a theoretical disparity. The talk about 888 "just scratching the surface" is mind games, pure and simple and everyone else is falling for it.

I thought the crashes in the race were fairly tame.

The rookies probably all flew under the radar a bit - I think many of us expected Stanaway to stand out more but all of them sort of hung out in that 15-20 pack and couldn't really show their mettle. Nobody put a car where it shouldn't have been lets say, and none of those teams pulled out a strategy call that allowed one of those rookies to show they could race with the frontrunners on pace. That said most of them raced trouble-free and that's what you'd ask of them. Finish and gain all that experience to build on.

Out of them I think MSR probably had the biggest job, making the step up so a commendation for them.

The liveries did look good - although I felt we didn't see enough of the cars much, I found myself wishing for them to go through each car in order or something... I think Reynold's livery looked really good on TV as did Lowndes.

I think Will Davison, Simona de Silvestro and Jack Lebrocq all underachieved.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3806568)   #236
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Will did ok. 8th in race 1, and salvaged 12th from a poor qualy in race 2.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3806569)   #237
Mixer
Veteran

I guess I might be harsh, it is the former LDM and a single car team.

Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3806572)   #238
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
#35 was not happy anywhere near kerbs all weekend, neither was the Super2 stablemate. Did the team get the right bits/set up sheets, or is the issue more like the last time their car source sold a pair of chassis to a customer team..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3806573)   #239
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
#35 was not happy anywhere near kerbs all weekend, neither was the Super2 stablemate. Did the team get the right bits/set up sheets, or is the issue more like the last time their car source sold a pair of chassis to a customer team..
The cars weren't even raced in 2017. Did they come with 2017 setup sheets and support?

Maybe Todd is struggling to adapt to the Falcon from the Commodore.

It does seem strange MSR didn't want to stick with their proven 888 VF. Granted, the DJR engine shop is in the Stone Brothers / MSR facility and presumably DJR and MSR have a good relationship.

Did DJRTP promise they would give setup sheets and technical assistance, even though Team Penske do not normally do such things? Or were MSR confident they could engineer their own speed into any old FG X Falcon they ran (which seems optimistic).

Presumably MSR are running full spec DJRTP motors in the main game given the physical location, but who knows, maybe even the engines are a lower spec (which does beg the question why didn't they stick to the (KRE-powered?) VF that ran so well during wildcard appearances?).

or it could be that they DO have DJRTP technical data, but Mr. Hazelwood (much like Mr Moffat) cannot cope with Mr. McLaughlin's car setups?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3806589)   #240
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could also be that the team does not yet posess an array of damper and spring options.

Was it the car that was heavily bent by Mr Wall in NZ? The one Mr Pye buried into the fence at QR, or the one Mr Coulthard pin-balled down the front straight at Surfers?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3806598)   #241
Mixer
Veteran

All of these things are a worry for a small team.

Hell, even customer teams have struggled with the narrow setup window of the Tickford machines.

Hopefully Mr Stone knows what he is up to.

I wonder what Campbell Little is doing these days???
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3806603)   #242
Umai Naa
Veteran

Mr Little is working with Tekno.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3806607)   #243
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Mr Little is working with Tekno.
Hmm Little and Burgess in the same team?

Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3807599)   #244
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to watch the judicial footage of the incident involving Golding, Hazelwood and Stanaway on the Supercars website, any thoughts?
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3807604)   #245
Umai Naa
Veteran

Scrappy driving from all parties.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3807710)   #246
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
”#35 Couldn’t Hack The Kerbs” - Hazelwood
Old 14 Mar 2018, 04:30 (Ref:3807856)   #247
champcarman
Veteran

Quote:
Should star at AP then , kerbs are friendlier!
Old 14 Mar 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3807907)   #248
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Should star at AP then , kerbs are friendlier!
Maybe they need access to the range of SupaShock developments available to Erebus...
Old 14 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3807924)   #249
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard most teams have shyed away from supashock now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3807927)   #250
Umai Naa
Veteran

Aren't there only 3 types homologated anyway, with the popular one coming out of Triple Eight - Sachs?