Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2018, 21:59 (Ref:3801701)   #46
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I couldn't disagree more. NBC provided the best coverage of Formula 1 we've had in my lifetime - it's not even close, really. What makes you think there will be less commercials?

Goodies and coverage? We don't know if we will even get to see qualifying, much less practice! Sounds like they are working on a paywall service as well. Where is the good news?
I agree. I can't speak to the quality of the Sky team. Nothing against them, but I will have to wait and see to formulate an opinion. I will miss the guys who have been part of US F1 broadcasting for a long time... Hobbs, Matchett and Will Buxton.

But I fully expect there to be commercials and given they will be injecting them into a broadcast that is not designed as such (I assume), it might be tough on viewers given a lack of smooth transitions. The main question will be if there is more or less commercials than NBC.

Richard
Old 15 Feb 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3801702)   #47
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I've tried to delete him from memory but cannot seem to erase the way he would always yell "Abbadabbi" when pronouncing Abu Dhabi
I can still hear him screaming IT'S GOING FROM BAD TO WORSE FOR LEWIS HAMILTON

But his role did result in hilarious little moment @ Le Mans 2010's Eurosport coverage, with Martin Haven ridiculing him on air during the night

Anyway as for SKY team... dulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll and generic
Old 15 Feb 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3801707)   #48
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
But I fully expect there to be commercials and given they will be injecting them into a broadcast that is not designed as such (I assume), it might be tough on viewers given a lack of smooth transitions.
Those of us who have been watching F1 in the UK for *ahem* a few years or more have a finely-tuned ear when it comes to the "pause so the rest of the world's broadcasters who take the BBC/ITV/Sky feed can go to ads now" breath hold technique.

OK, so when it was on ITV they had ads themselves (including the disastrous 2005 San Marino ad break debacle with 3 laps to go), but they also spliced in small pauses for the rest of the world to chuck extra adverts in.

[ Note: for 'ad' and 'advert', read 'commercial' ]

All you'll notice is a change in the voices.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 01:23 (Ref:3801722)   #49
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Those of us who have been watching F1 in the UK for *ahem* a few years or more have a finely-tuned ear when it comes to the "pause so the rest of the world's broadcasters who take the BBC/ITV/Sky feed can go to ads now" breath hold technique.
Interesting.

So I am curious... Given they do live commentary, what do they do during the period when others "go to commercial?"

Do they just as you say find a quick end to whatever they are saying (we in the US would break away) then they start up talking again for a few minutes until there is is what they think is the expected end of the break, stop talking (we in the US return) and then they pick up talking again? Does the context change during that time? Hopefully upon return they are not finishing up a joke or story in which we get a cryptic punchline with no setup!!!

"And then he said... Because the alligator liked the red hat instead!!! HAHAHAHAHA"

Richard
Old 16 Feb 2018, 02:42 (Ref:3801736)   #50
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting.

So I am curious... Given they do live commentary, what do they do during the period when others "go to commercial?"

Do they just as you say find a quick end to whatever they are saying (we in the US would break away) then they start up talking again for a few minutes until there is is what they think is the expected end of the break, stop talking (we in the US return) and then they pick up talking again? Does the context change during that time? Hopefully upon return they are not finishing up a joke or story in which we get a cryptic punchline with no setup!!!

"And then he said... Because the alligator liked the red hat instead!!! HAHAHAHAHA"

Richard
In Aus to see F1 live nowadays we have to climb the paywall, but for that we get full break free coverage of the Sky broadcast. It all seems pretty seamless with a few pauses as they obviously give a brief halt for those taking a break. Its probably akin to the old days when there would be a pause as Murray passed the shared mic. to James and vice versa.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 03:42 (Ref:3801746)   #51
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I will just watch our Spanish station with no ad breaks and action from beginning to end ....
Old 16 Feb 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3801777)   #52
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Do they just as you say find a quick end to whatever they are saying (we in the US would break away) then they start up talking again for a few minutes until there is is what they think is the expected end of the break, stop talking (we in the US return) and then they pick up talking again?
Precisely that. Exactly the way RLM do on the world feed for Daytona, PLM and so on.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3801858)   #53
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
As an American, I am extremely happy that this has happened.

sure as hell won't miss NBC, bloody commercial breaks every 6-7 minutes.
No you won't. Be sure that ESPN will do them.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3801904)   #54
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Only change will be ESPN might not run the same 8 commercials. Only thing worse than the NBCSports commercials were the FoxSports commercials in IMSA coverage. Then you might get 5 different commercials in 12 hours
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3802006)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not saying Legard was good, but I preferred him to James Allen. James wasn't interested in commentating on the Grand Prix or even F1. It was Formula Jenson and the Grand Lewis. He spent more time talking about the similarities between Lewis and Senna based on the type of yellow on their helmets than the actual race. As a radio commentator and pit lane reporter, he was generally ok and unoffensive. In the pits he had a very specific job to do, and he'd go and do it and do it well. When left to his own devices in the commentary box he was embarrassing.

The only person close to Allen was Ant Davidson. His first few times commentating all he wanted to do was pimp himself out and talk about how great he was. Even when Jenson won his first Grand Prix at Hungaroring, Davidson turned that into "I can't believe I was the one who commentated on this". Aye Ant, because that's the achievement today.

Legard was a step up from the absolute nonsense that was the ITV production. He was by no means good, but it at least became professional. Croft raised the bar once again. He has his moments of error or annoyance, but so does every commentator. I'm a HUGE fan of Radio Le Mans/Radio Show Limited/IMSA Radio and even they have their moments that I don't agree with. So when it comes to Croft, I personally take the stance of 'cut him some slack', because he's much better than anything we've had for a good 15 years or so.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3804223)   #56
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder whether the latest news that Comcast have thrown their hat in the ring to buy Sky will have any impact in the USA?

It certainly muddies the water in Disney's bid to buy Fox including Sky.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3804274)   #57
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I wonder whether the latest news that Comcast have thrown their hat in the ring to buy Sky will have any impact in the USA?

It certainly muddies the water in Disney's bid to buy Fox including Sky.
I hadn't heard that here in the US but it doesn't surprise me, Comcast wants everyone to forget they are buying everything by using 30 different names. Personally thought they should have been split up years ago and never allowed to own the production and distribution streams, they already own NBC/Universal and tried to buy more before even the orange president said whoa, that might be too far. Somehow few here think it is a problem for them to own the production studio, the distributor and the provider, but then want to fiercely defend net neutrality. Guess TV is different than internet, oh wait that's how many get internet too.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3806903)   #58
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Comcast should have never been allowed to buy NBC Universal.

Btw, that was during the Obama government.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3807768)   #59
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
jdetray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll miss the NBCSN commentary team, but I'm sure I'll become accustomed to the Sky team.

Something I find odd and distressing is that, so far, ESPN has not aired ANY promotions for its impending F1 coverage. Normally, a network that is about to commence coverage of the F1 world championship would be running numerous ads informing viewers that F1 is coming to ESPN. Instead, nothing!

I'll wager that very few ESPN viewers have the slightest notion that F1 is coming to ESPN. It's as if ESPN wants to keep it a closely guarded secret.

- Jeff
Old 13 Mar 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3807772)   #60
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetray View Post
I'll miss the NBCSN commentary team, but I'm sure I'll become accustomed to the Sky team.

Something I find odd and distressing is that, so far, ESPN has not aired ANY promotions for its impending F1 coverage. Normally, a network that is about to commence coverage of the F1 world championship would be running numerous ads informing viewers that F1 is coming to ESPN. Instead, nothing!

I'll wager that very few ESPN viewers have the slightest notion that F1 is coming to ESPN. It's as if ESPN wants to keep it a closely guarded secret.

- Jeff
I've noticed this too. I had to search to see if/when it was being telecast. It's been awful quiet.