Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Dec 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3176351)   #151
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the point of this thread continuing, when bortall's last 3 post have nailed everything down?
Old 7 Dec 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3176352)   #152
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Come back to me when a single/a pair/groups of women, who are not attached to CAMS/Shannons/Competitors/partner dragging them along,
I'll accept that my wife started attending motorsport accompanying me, but she's now a highly accomplished marshal in her own right. Which suggests the problem is not with women in motorsport, but with the promotion of motorsport to women. Who cares how anyone gets involved, it's what they think once they're there that counts. Knuckle-dragging cavemen don't help, but fortunately they're in an ever decreasing minority.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3176362)   #153
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I'll accept that my wife started attending motorsport accompanying me, but she's now a highly accomplished marshal in her own right. Which suggests the problem is not with women in motorsport, but with the promotion of motorsport to women. Who cares how anyone gets involved, it's what they think once they're there that counts. Knuckle-dragging cavemen don't help, but fortunately they're in an ever decreasing minority.
That may be the case. However, when I make the claim that "chicks don't like motorsport", it's based on what I see, rather than some indicators that could be skewed to make a point. Why I think my view is valid is because there is no promotion, (Shannons/state meets) people who do go, and are unattached to the event, have to go out of their way to find out that it's there, as opposed to being reminded about it or being attracted by some other means. This, I think is an accurate indicator of % of the popularity of the motorsport demographic. I'm not saying there aren't women who enjoy it, and they can defintitely be catered for. But trying to attract more women to motor racing? Hill, icy pole stick, stuff that smells terrible...
Old 8 Dec 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3176378)   #154
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have a Women in Motorsport thread so why expand that discussion and keep this one for discussing the Shannons Nationals??
Old 8 Dec 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3176640)   #155
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
No they don't. They are a small minority. Also they're there as a result of some attachment. Come back to me when a single/a pair/groups of women, who are not attached to CAMS/Shannons/Competitors/partner dragging them along, with cameras around their neck, start to become normal at Shannons/state meets. Not noticed because it's an odd sight

How is suggesting that Shannons get a headline act or having a SCCA Run-offs type event (which, once esatblished, I think could pull a bigger crowd than multiple Shannons meets at one track), shallow misogynist? How is it just vain ramblings?
Coming back at you. My wife is a high ranking CAMS official, administrator and respected category manager. My daughter has followed in her footsteps and works in a Motorsport driving school and is the administrator for a major Aust. Motorsport circuit event.
They got ME involved in circuit racing, such was their passion for the sport. In the circles we move in there is no shortage of female Motorsport enthusiasts, competitors or volunteers...and keeping on thread, mainly involved in SN.

What did I get out of 5-odd years racing at every SN that my category attended? Camaraderie, intense competition, friends for life, an empty bank balance and the best time of my life are but a few of the superlatives.

Did I give a rats about who or how many was in the crowd other than my friends and family? Absolutely not and I'm sure I speak for 99% of the nationals competitors, certainly for my category mates. It was all about the racing and selfishly or not, our fun.

Saw in the news from Sydney what kind of fan you get with lots of promo girls. Yeah, need more of them. Great for family events...
Old 9 Dec 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3176694)   #156
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
We have a Women in Motorsport thread so why expand that discussion and keep this one for discussing the Shannons Nationals??
Initially, it wasn't about women in motorsport. But Sheep Stations got offended by his interpretation of my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Did I give a rats about who or how many was in the crowd other than my friends and family? Absolutely not and I'm sure I speak for 99% of the nationals competitors, certainly for my category mates. ..
This is an interesting insight!